.300 WBY vanguard load help

d_wit22

This site is amazing. I posted about recoil help for this same rifle and received so much help. Greatly appreciated!

Now I'm trying to find a factory load. Currently shooting the 180G Barnes
Looking at the 200g ELDX
Anyone have any advice? Experience out of a vanguard? Thanks!

I love my Vanguard in .300Win Mag! It is extremely accurate, however I have never tried any factory ammo through it.
I have been using 178gr ELDX's and the 208gr ELDX's with RamShot Hunter powder. They are extremely accurate and on the top end of the velocity scale. I started using RH powder when RL-26 became extinct. I'm glad that I was able to find a suitable replacement.
I took a cow elk last year in AZ. using the 178ELDX at 289 yards. Drop/flop right there. Very impressive.

If you are limited to factory ammo, I would look hard at the Weatherby factory Hammer Hunter load. Hammers are very forgiving from a seating depth standpoint and just very easy to tune in general. There is a VERY good chance this ammo will be as accurate out of your rifle as you can find. The 170gr Hammer custom load would be my factory first choice.

Anyone have any advice? Experience out of a vanguard? Thanks!
Yes.
Every rifle is different, and each one likes a different ammo. The down side is the $$$ of factory Weatherby ammo, and yes you may have to try a few different ones. What works in mine may not work in yours. I have been testing two identical Vanguards built 3 serial numbers apart in the same chambering. They don't like the same ammo!

I keep partial boxes and use them to test or sight in other rifles. Or, see if anyone near you will sell you 3-5 of a certain load.

A local store makes "test boxes" of 20, and there are 4 different factory loads in each one. It surely cuts down on overall cost and waste.

I agree with MagnumManiac! From my "limited" experience with the ELDX, if a shot is taken at close range ……it will very likely "come from untogether"! 😜

I think, again my opinion, that you would be better served with a more heavily constructed bullet…..if there is "ANY" possibility of a very close shot. memtb

Last edited:
My experience with Factory Ammo is everybody's rifle is different.
Unfortunately you have to buy a box of each ammo you want to try and see what your gun likes.
Weatherbys ammo is very good, but pricey. Hope this helps.

I love my Vanguard in .300Win Mag! It is extremely accurate, however I have never tried any factory ammo through it.
I have been using 178gr ELDX's and the 208gr ELDX's with RamShot Hunter powder. They are extremely accurate and on the top end of the velocity scale. I started using RH powder when RL-26 became extinct. I'm glad that I was able to find a suitable replacement.
I took a cow elk last year in AZ. using the 178ELDX at 289 yards. Drop/flop right there. Very impressive.
80.0 grs RL26 w/180 gr. Hammer Hunter in Vangaurd/howa 3 shots in One hole. Have pics to prove. Sorry. 300 win mag.

Last edited:
180 grain bullet with 81 grains of 7828 with 215 primer if I remember correctly. I will check.
It's close.
I find that between 80.5 and 82.0 you WILL find a magic spot for 7828SSC and a 180 grain bullet in a 300 Weatherby. I have yet to work on one that doesn't follow this guideline.

Unfortunately, he's asking about factory loads, which means testing different types.

Because powder can be hard to find I've been able to play around with a few variations for the 300 Weatherby.

IMR 4350
IMR 7828

But my favorite is by far H1000 it shoots much more accurately for me. I've got a buddy who swears by Retumbo but I've never been able to get my hands on any here locally recently.

Recent Posts