30-30 for elk?

Yes, a 30-30 will work for elk. I have killed elk with a model 94 30-30, so my conclusion is based off of facts. A 30-30 is my primary rifle for hunting elk in the timber on a rainy day. The iron sights do not fog up or need wiped down before a shot. It is much lighter than packing my 348 win on these bad weather days, and kills them just as dead as my old 338 ultra mag ever did. Everything in moderation, I'm not taking 300 yard shots with it. Usually shots are pretty close or I just don't take them. Doesn't matter if you're hunting with 150s or 170s. In fact you don't even need the hornady leverrution fancy pointed bullets to get it done. The round nose will still punch through without all the marketing.

Shot a wild escaped 700 lb hereford steer 50 years ago with 170 grain core lokt at 125 yds . DRT heart shot , sure am glad I didn't know I was so under gunned with that Savage 170. By todays experts opinions I should had something other than the mini p shooter. Probably a 300 win mag. Ha!, anyway it was a relief we had been after him for probably a month.