30-30 for elk?

I never have hunted Elk with a .30-30 Win, I hunted a couple of times with a friend who would push deep dense revive(s) for Elk using a Win 94 in .30 WCF in the Cascade Mountains, he had killed a couple that way over the years, and from him and others who hunted with him told me he never lost one, My friend said; his shots were always well within the .30-30 range being quite close. I also have some Canadian friends who have hunted Moose with a .30-30 Win in B.C. Canada. Now this goes back to the late 60s and 70s hunting days. With that said; one of my favorite rifles is my (1942) Win .30 WCF I've never used it for Elk but if I had to I think it would work within its range limitations. I had another hunting buddy that used a Remington Mod 8 in .30 Rem for everything, it's pretty much the ballistical twin of the .30-30 Win. Don't get me wrong I don't think a .30-30 WIn is a good choice for Elk, especially big Elk... but yes, it could and has worked.
Just my 0.2 Cheers.

It's all in knowing the gun and how it shoots. I have 2 Win 94 26" octagon barrel and shot 150 gr for years. The past 15 years I've been using 170 gr Nosler or Norma hollow points. If you can consistently hit a paper plate at 150 yds with peep sights (which I don't doubt one bit) a scope will not make a major difference.
Use your heavier loads on the larger animals, and try to keep the distance under 200 yds.

Elk are too noble to be lab rats. Lots of elk were taken decades ago with a 30-30, when thats all people had available. Those days are over. Using an underpowered round these days is nothing but a stunt. Elk size game require a minimum of 1500 ft-lb of energy in a projectile delivered to a vital area. Pre 1960 most elk hunters were feeding their family. Hunting was about subsistence rather than recreation. Times have changed. Don't ask me about archery. I hear far more stories about sticking an arrow in one than actually making a kill. I killed lots of elk, but confess that I wounded some that I never found. Most of those happened when I took a shot that shouldn't have been taken. Young & dumb!

Elk are too noble to be lab rats. Lots of elk were taken decades ago with a 30-30, when thats all people had available. Those days are over. Using an underpowered round these days is nothing but a stunt. Elk size game require a minimum of 1500 ft-lb of energy in a projectile delivered to a vital area. Pre 1960 most elk hunters were feeding their family. Hunting was about subsistence rather than recreation. Times have changed. Don't ask me about archery. I hear far more stories about sticking an arrow in one than actually making a kill. I killed lots of elk, but confess that I wounded some that I never found. Most of those happened when I took a shot that shouldn't have been taken. Young & dumb!
If subsistence hunters were successful, then what is the argument against their choice of firearm and cartridge?

Did they not also have a choice when procuring their .30/30's?

Surely, having a different preference does not counter argue anothers success?

My dad killed his first 6 elk with a 30-30. Back in the 50's and 60's. Then he stepped up to a high powdered Savage 99 in 308. Granted this was in the deep timber of the Washington coast at close range. Many an elk has dropped with a 30-30 or 32 win special in the days of old.
Don't you know that elk have gotten tougher to kill and wear bullet proof vests and armor plate these days???