28 Nosler Alaskan Moose

Josie

Has anyone tried your 28 Nosler on Alaska moose? Goods /bad and thoughts on bullet selection. Have a 2022 hunt and haven't had the opportunity to bag anything with mine yet.

I have never shot a moose with my 28 Nosler, however I would believe it would handle it with no problem. If you put the bullet in the correct place, you should have no problem. Pope and Young have lots of Moose killed with stick and string.

I have shot a couple in BC and Newfoundland use a well constructed bullet they are thick and heavy animals. moose are not a long range game stick with bullets like partitions, accubonds, A frames. definitely not high speed/ fragmenting bullets. my last one in BC the shoulder was about 8 inches thick then add in the hide and ribs you hit that and you might not get to vitals. you might not aim there but you might hit there and you hit an animal on a guided hunt and it is over if you recover him or not

I've killed a pile of moose, not Alaskan however, with 30-30, 308, 280rem, 280ai, 300wm, but most with my archery tackle. They die quick when you poke a hole in the heart or lungs and they drop pretty quick when you shoot them in the hump.

You should be fine. I have personally witnessed more than a handful of AK bull moose killed with .270's and 30-06 out to 350 yards. As far as I know they were all using factory ammo as well.

I've killed 3 big Canadian moose with my 28 Nosler and 175 long range accubonds. Shots were 200 yards, 458 yards and 653 yards. The only one I shot twice was the one at 200 yards - and he was probably dead after the first shot. I just used factory ammo since it shoots .5 Moa in my gun.

I know a few people that have killed moose without any issue using a 7 STW (which is basically the same as your 28 Nosler)
I go fishing in "the middle of nowhere" Ontario, Canada every memorial weekend for the past 16 years. The owners of the lodge and all the fishing guides hunt moose and they all use a 30-06 and 180 gr Core-Lokt ammo.

If'n you can't kill them with a 28 Nosler then you are doing something wrong. Load her up with Partitions, 175 Hornady Bonded, or TSX and you are golden. (Not the place for Bergers) I have killed them with everything from a 243, 257 Bee, 7 Rem, 7 RUM, 300 Win, 308 Win, 375 Win, 38-55, 375 Ruger, 45-70 and even one with a 460 Bee just to try it out. Right bullet in any of them and you are fine. All Canadian moose, Alberta, B.C., Ontario and Yukon. Never shot an Alaska moose but don't see why they would be any different, though they are big.

Ypur 28 Nosler will work fine but I would look at 30 or338 cal instead. The Alaska Yukon Moose is the big boy on the block approaching 2000 pounds. How ever it is not the Moosw you need to worry about it is his neighbors up there. What ever you do don't shoot your Moose in the hump all it is,is bones above the spine. Good luck. Also I would use a Barnes or Hammer bullet if it were me.

Ypur 28 Nosler will work fine but I would look at 30 or338 cal instead. The Alaska Yukon Moose is the big boy on the block approaching 2000 pounds. How ever it is not the Moosw you need to worry about it is his neighbors up there. What ever you do don't shoot your Moose in the hump all it is,is bones above the spine. Good luck. Also I would use a Barnes or Hammer bullet if it were me.
Just out of curiosity, how many guys do you know personally who had to shoot a grizz, brown or polar bear hunting moose or anything else besides bear, in self defense while on a guided hunt. I have hunted and guided in big bear country all my life, I never saw it, nor do I personally know anyone who guides or hunts bear country that has. Bear defense gets talked about a lot, it doesn't happen very often. The only bears I have ever shot in self defense were bears we were actually hunting.

So just because you have never heard or seen it happen it can not. What I was trying to say was it could and has so be prepared. The old Boy Scout motto stands true. Be prepared for the worst and it most likely will not happen. If you are not and it does it is to late. Beside if it is no risk why do Alaskan Guides prefer larger cal rifles. It is becoming a real threat here in Alberta and we don't have Alaska's Griz population.

So just because you have never heard or seen it happen it can not. What I was trying to say was it could and has so be prepared. The old Boy Scout motto stands true. Be prepared for the worst and it most likely will not happen. If you are not and it does it is to late. Beside if it is no risk why do Alaskan Guides prefer larger cal rifles. It is becoming a real threat here in Alberta and we don't have Alaska's Griz population.

Not trying to bust your chops. Your comment that it could and has happened did not answer my question. I could get hit by a meteor but it isn't something I worry about ever. Far more likely to get killed in a small plane accident while hunting than getting et by a bear. A guy must not become so risk averse that we quit hunting.

I have a 375 Ruger and even a 460 Bee. If I was specifically going hunting Brown bear I would probably use the 375 Ruger or the 45-70. That said, I also wouldn't be worried about using my 7 RUM, very similar to the 28 Nosler, on a bear if I needed to. It is more than enough gun to put a smack down on a bear with a 175 grain TSX or a Nosler Partition. A 375 H&H won't stop a bear any faster, given the same shot placement.

My point is, the chances of needing the gun for protection when not hunting bear is so remote as to be one of the smallest considerations when deciding what to use on Moose.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.