.277 - 140gr Cutting Edge MTH info...

wilkup

Been away for the past few months (at least not logged in) but have a neat build I'm hoping to pick up in the next couple of weeks.

For those who don't know, I live in the northwest/WA, and don't plan to be hunting out of the lower 48 anytime soon, at least with this rifle.

I'd like some help on this bullet if anyone's had the opportunity to try these on big game (bears, elk, deer, etc) and what range you were shooting with them. I'm intrigued by the HIGH BC they offer while not increasing the weight of the round tremendously.

I'd like this combo to be capable of dropping a 200+ lbs buck out to 800yd during the high country hunt (Alpine Lakes Wilderness for the locals) later at the end of the summer, as well as an elk from up in the same area. When I run this round through the ballistic program assuming it's starting at 3200FPS and considering altitude, it's showing 1500FT-LBS out to this distance and it's still chugging along at a brisk 2200FPS. Do you think the bullet will perform well at this range on these two beasts?

Truthfully, I probably won't shoot either at anymore than 650yd but it'd be nice to know I had the ability if I wasn't able to scoot in any closer.

While I don't have any experience with the .277 variety, i've shot the 6.5 pills quite a bit.

Running the 130 MTH @ 3400fps from a 6.5WSM I harvested a very large muley buck at 655yds last year (or the year before I don't remember). As well as several head of Antelope at moderate ranges.

I have no doubt the .277-140grn will kill reliably out to your questioned 800yds. Keep in mind the CEB's are LONG & may require single feeding. If you have any additional questions, I will do my best to answer them.

t

What cartridge are you looking to get 3200 fps with?

I have the 140's in a 270 win loaded pretty modest, but accuracy looks good and was easy to find the load.

So expensive that I had a hard time shooting too much to do a lot of experimenting. Looking at this as a possible "lead free" union.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.