• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

270 Winchester Rifle

wilkup

I bought this rifle as a backup in case a custom I was building wasn't finished in time for my hunt, but no longer need it. I also purchased RCBS reloading dies which I'll include if interested. The Leupold scope is the legendary fixed 4x Mountaineer Jack O'Connor mounted on all his rifles and is held in place with classic Weaver rings. The walnut is in great condition and the bluing looks very nice as well.
$449 takes it all.
Rifle is a JC Higgins Model 50.
A little history on these rifles:
"The J.C. Higgins Model 50 was the creation of the Sears and Roebuck Co. in the early 1950s. Although not manufactured by Sears, the giant retailer was certainly instrumental in their creation and importation. The Model 50 was originally produced by Belgium's Fabrique Nationale using a commercial 98 Mauser action and 22 inch chrome lined barrel from High Standard. The rifle was advertised and sold through Sears and Roebuck Co. and each rifle's barrel was marked as such. All variations included a model number on the left side of the barrel just at the end of the forearm, and a code that corresponds to the date of manufacture. Overall length is 43 inches, it has a healthy 13 3/4 length of pull, and the original model 50 was supplied with a no frills walnut stock without checkering. Sling swivel studs and a polymer butt plate were standard. The bolt is the traditional controlled feed type with a one piece polished bolt body, one-piece firing pin, and a two-position short-throw 45 degree safety to accommodate the use of a scope. The bolt handle is consistent with the "Second Pattern FN Action" in that it sweeps back to allow clearance for a scope. The bolt head has the traditional two locking lugs and the rear safety lug. The extractor is large and prominent. Each bolt was electro penciled to the rifle using the last three digits of the serial number, which was located on the right side of the receiver. The bolts used on these FN Belgium made actions are of the highest quality and durability. The drilled and tapped receiver, hinged floorplate, trigger guard, and magazine follower are all made from milled steel. The floorplate has a button release for emptying the cartridges, and the trigger is grooved for a positive feel. All reports on the accuracy of J.C. Higgins Model 50s and subsequent variations have been favorable. In addition to its inherent accuracy, the Models 50 and 51 came with chrome lined barrels, thus adding to the useful service life of these rifles. The overriding consensus regarding the J.C. Higgins Model 50 is that it's a rifle worth holding on to if you have one, and worth seeking out if you do not." - Chuck Hawks

Attachments

• IMG_8865.jpg
    IMG_8865.jpg
    561.9 KB · Views: 259
Forgot to mention there's also 45 pieces Federal brass. Some of the brass is once fired and some is loaded with a few different bullets - 130gr Barnes TTSX, 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, 130gr Nosler Accubond. I need this gone asap. I don't like to keep guns that will just sit around.

You must post photos of the item you are selling. If you do not, risk your posting being deleted. Include your username in the photo and today's date. Buyers: Don't freely give out your personal info.
I have a photo of the rifle in my post, but am not sure how to include my username and today's date in the photo. If there's anyone able to help me fix this and avoid having my thread deleted, I'd really appreciate it. I can send whatever pics of the rifle required, I just am not quite up to speed on technology I guess.
Help?

Just trying to help explain it better.
You are suppose to take a new pic of your rifle next to a piece of paper with your user name and today's date written on it.

Just trying to help explain it better.
You are suppose to take a new pic of your rifle next to a piece of paper with your user name and today's date written on it.
That makes WAY more sense to me. Thanks! New pics coming up.

Any target photos? I'm interested.
Truthfully, i didn't take much time to dial it in. I picked those three bullets listed and got the Barnes to put two within 1" unsupported at a lasered 103 yards. It may well shoot better than that but for my needs <200 yards, I felt confident at that point and was in a hurry ;)

Attachments

• 3C309A89-BAF9-4758-8E5E-3FC4F5A8D102.jpeg
    3C309A89-BAF9-4758-8E5E-3FC4F5A8D102.jpeg
    551.9 KB · Views: 169
  • 8E7B9715-AF91-470E-9A40-A951F5CF4425.jpeg
    8E7B9715-AF91-470E-9A40-A951F5CF4425.jpeg
    582.3 KB · Views: 143