25x45 Sharps loads

FrogFire7

Little bits and pieces of data across the interwebs... Has anybody loaded anything other than the "published" data for this? Especially in the heavier bullet range? I realize this isn't a long range cartridge, BUT, I like to maximize yardage capabilities of every cartridge I load for.

Any personal experience thoughts on what to run?

Going in an AR-15 platform, primary use will be groundhogs. 18" barrel... I may run it manually operated vs gassed, not entirely sure yet. Will have an 8.5" can on it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I am in the same boat.
When the 25-45 sharps came out, I thought that it was the stupidest thing ever. I thought that a 25 caliber Grendel case would be much better.
I am a 25 caliber guy.
But I saw a barrel for a good price and bought it. I also got a thermal which is why I bought the barrel.
I have a ton of 223 brass laying around. And about 600 Sierra 90 grain bthp's that I picked up at a local action. So I thought what the h-ll since I will limit my range at night (coyotes).
I saw a YouTube video where they were using Hornady 110 grain ftx for a heavy bullet.

Yeah I found a really good deal on a barrel with brass and dies... Never really considered it before this. Just kind of need to scratch the new gun itch. I'd love to use some 75 grain vmax but they're apparently hard to get right now.

I figured 90+% of my groundhog shots are under 350 yards. Should be a good stopper at those ranges. And I needed something short and light for my suppressor. I'll see what I can do with these 87s I guess.

Have you found out anymore load data yet.
I found a thread on another sight a while back that had a quick load print of 87grain bullets but I have not been able to find it again.
I will keep looking.
Another thread on a different sight said that you could use 6x45 max load data for a starting point. But I was hoping someone from here would back that up or post on their experience with the 25-45 sharps

Hehe…opposite of heavy but I wonder what that little round would do with a 67 shock hammer or 75 hammer hunter?

On the other end, if twist permits, hornady has a 134 eld match…

Hadn't considered hammers really just because going to primary use it for chucks, but this is a good thought! Would probably help out the trajectory curve quite a bit in the range I typically shoot chucks at.

Have you found out anymore load data yet.
I found a thread on another sight a while back that had a quick load print of 87grain bullets but I have not been able to find it again.
I will keep looking.
Another thread on a different sight said that you could use 6x45 max load data for a starting point. But I was hoping someone from here would back that up or post on their experience with the 25-45 sharps

The gentleman I bought the barrel from generously included his targets! This is his data, not mine, and I didn't ask to repost. But extremely helpful for me starting out with this barrel. 18" for those wondering.

Attachments

• PXL_20230222_013841428.jpg
    PXL_20230222_013841428.jpg
    1,016 KB · Views: 151
  • PXL_20230222_013836364.jpg
    PXL_20230222_013836364.jpg
    920.9 KB · Views: 147
I found the thread from another sight.
If it's not appropriate to post a thread from another sight please remove the post.
If someone has quick load to check their work and maybe add a few bullet weights that would be great as well