243 for coyotes?

I've been hunting quite a bit this last season with a buddy that's shooting an AR-10 243. He's using the 87 gr. V-max at 3000-3100'ish--something like that. He has his dope memorized for the 6.5-20x Leup. VX-III VH reticle out to the reticle's limit and when time allows he has turret dope as well. He also uses an I-Pod touch with his trajectory cald. for std. conditions. He calls in to the airport several times a day for current air density changes, and punches those stats into the I-Pod to get the trajectory change, if he needs to dial in a longer shot. Is he taking it too far?? Don't know, but he has 4 1-shot kills beyond 450 yds. this last season @ 785, 650,535, and 470 yards. 3 OF THESE THOUGH WERE WITH THE RETICLE AS THERE WAS NO TIME FOR DIALING. I guess it all depends on how far u wanna' take it.

That is some great shooting . My girlfriend asked if he shot all four with one bullet? I said yea, we have homing bullets , it flies around the pasture just killing coyotes. :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.