224 Clarck/22-6mm Acley bullets.

Holland375

I have tried 3 bullets so far, Nosler CC 77 gr, Hornady 80 gr and Barnes triplex 70 gr.
The Noslers start coming apart at arround 3200, the Hornady almost the same 3200 to 3300. The Barnes are ok at 3700, but I would like to have more options for bullets. Do any of you have any experience with Sierra's? I am not looking for anything lighter than 70 gr. Twist is 1 in 8 on a 27 inch barrel. I did get the Hornady's and Nosler's to 3700, but only 4 or 5 out of 15 made it to the target. Loads are a bit warm, but with RE 25 I can probably get another 100 fps.

I have tried 3 bullets so far, Nosler CC 77 gr, Hornady 80 gr and Barnes triplex 70 gr.
The Noslers start coming apart at arround 3200, the Hornady almost the same 3200 to 3300. The Barnes are ok at 3700, but I would like to have more options for bullets. Do any of you have any experience with Sierra's? I am not looking for anything lighter than 70 gr. Twist is 1 in 8 on a 27 inch barrel. I did get the Hornady's and Nosler's to 3700, but only 4 or 5 out of 15 made it to the target. Loads are a bit warm, but with RE 25 I can probably get another 100 fps.

We shoot the 95 smk at 3200 from a 22-250AI. Great performance out to 1358 yards so far

You did say not less than 70 grains, and didn't state an end goal, but the Clark, and Ackley could be the biggest beneficiary of the new mono-metals. Have you looked at the Hammer 64 grain?

That bullet would work great. We have another customer that runs a bunch of 22's that we are going to work on a bit heavier for a 8 twist. The 64g is for 8.5 or faster. Thinking we will get to about 70g or so.

He is knocking the snot out of pigs with the 64g.

Steve

That bullet would work great. We have another customer that runs a bunch of 22's that we are going to work on a bit heavier for a 8 twist. The 64g is for 8.5 or faster. Thinking we will get to about 70g or so.

He is knocking the snot out of pigs with the 64g.

Steve
I have not tried them, but I will. Sounds like a great bullet design and bullet. The end game would be small to medium game. Texas deer and hogs. My original thinking was to go to with 80gr and heavier, at 3600 pluss. I just wanted a super flat, round for medium game, but I will probably get very similar results with 64's to 70's but with faster speeds and better bullets. I have a load that gets 4100 with 60's, but they are not solids, and there is the casual bullets that never makes to the target. Thanks for the imput and recommendatios.

I have a 22 middlestead that I run 75gr Berger vld's in @ 3400fps and hammers Arkansas whitetails. I have shot deer from 150 to 386yds and not 1 took a step when hit right behind the shoulder with exits. my son shot a doe that only went 40yds with a questionable shot.

I have a 22 middlestead that I run 75gr Berger vld's in @ 3400fps and hammers Arkansas whitetails. I have shot deer from 150 to 386yds and not 1 took a step when hit right behind the shoulder with exits. my son shot a doe that only went 40yds with a questionable shot.

Have you tried the new Hornady 75, 80, 88, grain ELD bullet there os also the swift and the scirocco bullets.
I have 224TTH 1/8 I have used Hornady 55gr. too fast, running 4300 fps yes the did make it to the target. Also Nosler has a 85 gr bullet too.

Respectfully
Mike

The hornadys that I have used are the 80 ELD and they don't always make it to the target at 3400, I am at 3700 with a little room to go. I havent tried the 85 Noslers, 75 Bergers or 64 Hammers. That gives me more than enough options with respect to bullets. The Hammers look very interesting.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.