.223 for antelope

Elkeater

so it's legal in WY to use a .223 with 60gr bullets for goats. I have a buddy that shot one and had no issues with it but has anyone on here used one? And if so what bullet and range and what was the result?

I have not shot lopes with one, but with a good. bullet and reasonable range I wouldn' hesitate.
I have a buddy who's wife has killed a pile of deer and wild hogs with the .223 handloads and she does well. Have hunted with them (my buddy and his wife, not the .223) several times and I have been no less than impressed by the performance. All her shots are 100 yds or less though. I would say keep it inside a minimal ft lbs of energy (900-1000 for me personally, but antelope shouldn't require a lot of energy) and use a premium bullet.

Last edited:
Try the 65 gr. Sierra Game King, match accuracy in a hunting bullet, Plenty good enough for deer/antelope.

Go to Midway USA and read the reviews on that bullet.

I've been playing with my new AR. It shot the 70gr Barnes vortex ammo at just a hair under 1 MOA. I've got it topped off with a vortex 1-6x scope so I might take it along next month for goats in case the long range .300WM gets boring

If I was local, and could pick my day, or had access to multiple tags I'd probably use a .223 to satisfy my curiosity.

Traveling to what can be one of the windiest places I know, with a single tag, hoping for a better than average antelope, with a rifle that is more difficult to shoot in the wind than others in the safe, I'd pass.

I'm only a couple hours away from where we hunt. I've got 2 doe tags and a buck tag. I'm taking a week and half off work to hunt so it would really only get used if I've got the buck down and one doe down. And I just wanted to try for curiosity sake.

I have buddies who have had their kids use .223 w. 69 SMKs on mule deer does with no issues. Pronghorn are smaller than muley does.

I have used the same on javalina a few times. They work extremely well.

I never had a chance at a antelope but we use 223 Hornady Full Boar in Florida and it is a hard hitter. We hunt over bait and shots are at 50yds or so at night.

We have killed countless whitetail deer with a .222, 223, 22-6mm, heck even a few with a 22 hornet and 221 fireball... most have been with a 53 grain barnes X and a few with the old 45 grain X bullet... if range is kept reasonable and shot placement good. you should have no problems

Unfortunately we don't have Antelope here but we do have loads of deer and I have used my 223 with hand loaded Norma 55 grain Oryx on Red deer with great results. The hind in the photo was shot at about 70 yards and she dropped like a stone. I took 65 kg (140 lbs) of meat off her so she was a big hind. The rifle is a Steyr Mannlicher. photo 5.JPG

There are thousand and thousands of people dead in the world because of the 223..5.56. It will work

I live only about 1 1/2 hrs from where I hunt. A couple of years ago I took my .223. The entire time I was there the wind blew horrendously. I did get my antelope but after that I left it at home and took something that will buck the wind better.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.