22 Arc

cgbills

I am curious if anyone has made the jump to 22 ARC in an AR for coyote? I keep thinking about doing a 22 or 6 arc in an AR, but just don't know if there is is much of an improvement within 400 yards over my 5.56. I "want" to build one, but I try to be practical with my gun stuff lol. Looking for some real world experience with the 22 ARC and some 62 ELDs. I had a 243 LBC/Grendel before and it would ring steel at 700, but idk if I want to trade the ease of 5.56 for the extra performance of an ARC.

Last edited:
Pretty happy with my six arc on an A.R. I don't think I'm gonna try the 22. like said above velocity is hyped and even less barrel life plus the 6 arc is very versatile with bullets to 100+ grains

I was wonder if the velocities really were what they were advertising…. I know my 243 LBC was a great round that would get pretty far pretty easily. I really did like that upper, but hated reloading for it in volume and feeling like I hade to do a range call every time I shot to get all the $1+ lapua brass. That too is why I am a bit apprehensive to go to one of the ARCs, the available of good cheap 5.56 ammo.

I was wonder if the velocities really were what they were advertising…. I know my 243 LBC was a great round that would get pretty far pretty easily. I really did like that upper, but hated reloading for it in volume and feeling like I hade to do a range call every time I shot to get all the $1+ lapua brass. That too is why I am a bit apprehensive to go to one of the ARCs, the available of good cheap 5.56 ammo.
Lots of decent ammo for the arc nowadays as well, but I'm sure it cannot compete with the price of 5.56.

Following this one. I have been thinking of putting together another upper. I don't even know what I would use it for. I gave only used the AR for prairie dogs and target shooting.

Following this one. I have been thinking of putting together another upper. I don't even know what I would use it for. I gave only used the AR for prairie dogs and target shooting.
The main use for my 6 arc is coyotes, but I have used it on deer and hopefully antelope soon.

Heavy consideration for a 6 ARC for coyotes. The 6/.243 just puts them down so much better than a 556/.223.

I'd rather have a 6CM in a 556 frame, but that won't work….ever. Not thrilled with the ar-10 frame. I have an extra AR looking for a purpose, so I'll settle for 6ARC I suppose. I'm thinking 20" barrel to get some velocity out of it.

I'm not buying the 22-250 velocity out of an AR pitch that Hornady is marketing.

if your going to keep to 69gr or lighter stick with the 556 but if you have an interest in the heavies 80gr and up or monos and have 2.260 mag restrictions then the 22ARC will shine, the 556 cant even come close.