2024 chevy 4cyl turbo trail boss

26Reload

Anyone on here buy and drive this truck...
About to get rid of a couple rigs and looking at this one...
Test drove yesterday...average fuel of 10 miles was 19mpg at 80mph....
Beats the Tacoma by a margin..
Tacoma at 80mph gets 14-15mpg

Anyone wanna buy a 2021 TRD off road 4x4....I'd go 37000...
3" Toyota lift
Airbags..
New tires..
New windshield...
Canopy...$3500
New front and rear bumpers...with lites in front....

20240807_161237.jpg
75450 miles

Don't have the trail boss. But do have a 2023 chev Silverado 1500 4x4 with the 4cyl turbo. Our normal driving usually runs in elevation from approximately 2000 ft to 5000 ft. Normally drive in that 60 mph range. Will usually average over 25 mpg. Seems to have pretty good power. We pull our 17.5 aluminum tracker boat and a polaris ranger 1000. Yes it does hurt the mileage and sorry don't remember how bad. If I had to pick one thing I don't like, it would be the transmission seems to run pretty warm, 190 range. And maybe this isn't bad, just seems warm to me as our duramax transmission runs in the 140 range not pulling and in the 180 range when pulling 15,000 plus pounds. Don't know how If this is the kind of information you are looking for or not?

Good info....thx....
I want to test the power on hwy at 80mph pulling my driftboat.....but theywont allow it with new rigs..they have one used on the lot....might be testing tomorrow...

Don't have the trail boss. But do have a 2023 chev Silverado 1500 4x4 with the 4cyl turbo. Our normal driving usually runs in elevation from approximately 2000 ft to 5000 ft. Normally drive in that 60 mph range. Will usually average over 25 mpg. Seems to have pretty good power. We pull our 17.5 aluminum tracker boat and a polaris ranger 1000. Yes it does hurt the mileage and sorry don't remember how bad. If I had to pick one thing I don't like, it would be the transmission seems to run pretty warm, 190 range. And maybe this isn't bad, just seems warm to me as our duramax transmission runs in the 140 range not pulling and in the 180 range when pulling 15,000 plus pounds. Don't know how If this is the kind of information you are looking for or not?
Do you have the LT?

Last edited:
Anyone on here buy and drive this truck...
About to get rid of a couple rigs and looking at this one...
Test drove yesterday...average fuel of 10 miles was 19mpg at 80mph....
Beats the Tacoma by a margin..
Tacoma at 80mph gets 14-15mpg

Anyone wanna buy a 2021 TRD off road 4x4....I'd go 37000...
3" Toyota lift
Airbags..
New tires..
New windshield...
Canopy...$3500
New front and rear bumpers...with lites in front....
Trading a Toyota for GM sounds bass ackwards, I've had GM and tots for the last 12 years

I bought my first new vehicle in 2001
Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4 4 door....
Great little truck..paid for itself while I was towing a driftboat & guiding....
Bought with a matching canopy for $22500....brand new....
Sold it about 6 months ago....
no canopy......$11300.....179000 miles...
2021 I have is a 4 door off road.....
Purchase price at $46000....
Crappy mileage...unless at 55mph...then it gets 20-22mpg.....
Just running out of room for work tools...
and mileage drops to 12mpg towing a fiberglass driftboat....at 80mph....
Lacking real power....v6....265hrspower..
....and I can start sleeping inside the cab when hunting away.....

If you are a guy that gets a new vehicle regularly disregard my post entirely, if you are a guy that keeps vehicles a long time read on. My opinion is that these small engines are under a LOT of stress to make the power they do, far more stress to get 5 liter naturally aspirated power out of a 2.5 liter engine. Cruising down the highway they're fine, towing regularly isn't something I would look to do with it if you are going to keep it long term. Direct injection with EGR and PCV in the intake is flatly a stupid thing to do, without fuel wash on the intake valves engines like this crap into their own mouths and it builds up faster than you would think. It's a huge expense to rectify once it starts causing problems too and it's not IF it's WHEN it will be a problem. Put a catch can on it if you do get it, it will slow down the buildup on the intake valves a good bit. The EGR will still be there but not adding oil to the mix helps.

My first Tacoma is a 2001 period and I sold it.In twenty twenty four.....
I don't do a lot of towing period and very seldom told anything extremely heavy

Main.
Ly about a little more space in the truck period more space in the better the truck for tools and Materials... Maybe a little bit more power in the truck.
And a little bit better fuel economy

Towed my driftboat today with the
2.7 turbo in a LT package...short jaunt of 10 miles....it averaged 18+mpg at 80mph....
The 5.3 averaged right about the same at the same distance.....actually maybe 19mpg at 80mph.....
Both trucks were used..traded in...the 2.7 had bfgoodrich treaded 10 ply tires....
Felt rough riding...
The 5.3 had new street tires..pretty smooth.....4 ply.....much softer...
Both were very quiet in the cab while on the hwy at 80mph....

Both trucks beat the Tacoma....as to not feeling the driftboat trailer behind me...

Trading off a 2016 BMW 320i x-drive 4 door car with 56000 miles..gonna eat a lot of cash on this car.....$12500 trade in....have more than twice that into it...but insurance is 2.5x the tacoma....$1900/year
....and my 21 tacoma with 76000 miles...
....about $32500..insurance $800.....another year on the tacoma and the trade won't be there........
Guess I coukd always put a SuperCharger in the tacoma....lol

Just makes best thought to get out of Both of these at same time....
Leaves me about $3000 after trades....
Maybe I can talk them into taking my Swarovski 10x42EL RF binos fir the remainder.....that would be a bonus....

Definitely don't overlook the 5.3. It's a good engine, definitely not the most horse power or torque but reliable and proven. I bought the wife a 2021 gmc 1500 with a 5.3 and it's been great. I'm normally a diesel guy but we ordered this truck exactly how we wanted it for her. I have no regrets the best fuel economy we've got that I've tracked is 25.3 not towing it normally gets 18-21mpg. I've never checked the mileage towing but when it's towing a three horse steel horse trailer with two horses and a pony in it, it gets better mileage than my diesel does pulling it.

I have the 2023 in the ZR2 trim that I have had for exactly a year. The ZR2 is a sail and headwind will kill it worse than the drift boat for MPG. I drug my duck boat, motor, dekes, blind all over last fall with alot of freeway and alot of trail and mud and ran 16.5 to 18 MPG. Average all around seems to be about 18.5mpg. I absolutely love the truck and the motor/transmission. I also ran it in the mountains last year and it is amazing off the road.

Recent Posts