2015 f-150 wow

snox801

Just got my new F;150 with the 3.5l ecoboost and aluminum body. All I can say is wow can't believe it didn't win truck of the year. My dad had a 13 so I knew ki d of what to expect. First off I ordered it so some things are not what I thought it would be. Its a pretty basic truck cause I knew I would be putting my own rims on it. I went back and forth between the Colorado, and Ram ecoodiesel. After test driving all these I think I choose the right one. I drive about 70,000 mes a year so mage is a big factor. I thought I would end up with the ram because of that, but after driving it was way under powered. The new ecooboost lacks no power incredibly fast and powerful. And after about 100 mileson it iI'm getting 22.3 avg mpg varying between 70 and 80.

Great to hear your initial impression on it! I'm looking at this aluminum frame ecoboost as well vs the ecodiesel. Time will tell on the durability of the aluminum frame.

Just FYI it is not an aluminum frame just a body. Got another 125 miles on it. Keeps impressing me. My father has really worked his 14 ecoboost hard and has lots of miles on it so the durability on the drive train is prove. So worst case you end up with a beat up body.
On a side note I would test drive both and you will quickly see what I'mmean about power the ecodiesel seemed like a huge turd. That in return causes me to use more throttle thus bringing the MpG way down. Also see if you can pull something with it. I only got to pull a 24 foot trailer for about ten miles with the diesel and had enough. It feels like driving a non turbo six cylinder. That being saidif you are only using it for ttransportation it may fit the bill for you. Let use know.

Sounds like the Ford is working out for you. I'm afraid I wouldn't buy one. My local shop is 30 days out for repairs. Just can't tolerate that long of a wait. Been that way over the last few months. Bruce

Sounds like the Ford is working out for you. I'm afraid I wouldn't buy one. My local shop is 30 days out for repairs. Just can't tolerate that long of a wait. Been that way over the last few months. Bruce

Ya I'm hearing that to. Hopefully I have no issues I can't wait on don't mind driving a dented truck. I really was concerned with the change to. Then a body shop owner reminded me that everyone was uncertain about fuel injection and saying it would cost shops to much, and here we are. I'm hoping for the best so far liking it. Ive got to trips planned for this week so I'm gonna get to see what real fuel mileage I will get at 78 mph.

So it's been awhile since I posted this and thought I would give an update for anyone who is looking at new trucks. So I have just over 80,000 miles on my truck now. So since the first month I owned livernoise was able to almost double the hp and trq. I have been running 528hp and 568 trq at the rear tires since about 5,000 miles. It runs quite a bit of meth through the intake every week for fun. I had to add that to help prove how durable the motor is. I travel for work and am always hauling a trailer from job to job. This winter I was task with hauling water to that crap hole we call flint. So I really got to see what it would do with loads. Between that and my Florida hog trip that overloaded my trailer enough to bend the frame I must say this truck is still impressing me. So much so that I know of 4 others who have bought them just after driving mine.
So we know the v6 is durable now as mine has been abused and my fathers is a farm truck with many miles more than mine and going strong. So onto the body. As far as holes in the bed like the tv shows ya right. Now my bed is beat up bad because I have yet to put a liner in it but no holes only dents like my old steel one. It does seem to resist dent more than my steel truck but the paint does seem to scratch a bit easier. That being said I'm still loving this truck and decided to keep it a few more years to see just how long it can last with me doing whatever I want with it. Hope this helps someone on the fence. Don't think I could ever go back to a v-8 or diesel after owning this truck. As for fuel mileage it went from 23.6 at 75 highway to 18.5 after I put larger tires on.

I am contemplating buying either the new eco-boost, or the new 6.7 Ford or Dodge diesel. I am wondering what upgrades you did to get those horsepower numbers?

Thanks
))--SLIVER-->

My business partner has the new 6.7 ford with 180,000 on it with only one mechanical problems a few cosmetic. Just last week he got a hole in a coolant line that has been his only problem. But after know what both will do the ecoboost stock is my choice. Unless you are constantly pulling lots of weight the ecoboost is hard to beat. The motor will out work the trucks capability. I came home from Florida with just over 13,000lbs in the bed of the truck and trailer combine and had to set my tune back to stock to be safe and it ran up every mountian only loosing about 3 mph then downshift to 5th and back to 75mph. Now these are not the Rockies but still decent mountains.
To get to those numbers I did
Colder plugs, turbo down pipes, cooler t stat, full exhaust, intake, meth injection, and programmer all from livernoise. They told me to stop at that point for reliability that I wanted. I can say that the truck is fast even with 3:31 rear end I can beat my new focus RS and every mustang and camero I see. The programmer was the most noticeable as just that gained me about 93 hp at the tires and they give you five tunes of your choice. Meth made a huge difference but is a bit pricey. And I have yet to find a diesel that can leave me in the rear view. I love stoping and saying it's only a 6 cylinder. I will be purchasing another as soon as this one is done. Just not going as far with the next one as I really don't need a truck that goes this fast.

Thanks for the reply. I tow often, but don't tow heavy things very often. I have a toy hauler that is about 10K loaded and that will be the heaviest that I will go. Sounds like the eco-boost will suit my needs, and be pretty awesome at the same time.

))--SLIVER-->

Yes more than enough for that I at times pull my td 7 dozer to and from farm. It weighs 22,700 along so I go really slow but plenty of power. It gets better mpg than the diesel not towing but slightly less mpg pulling. Also do not let them sell you a 3:73 rear end you don't get the benefits of the low end trq and added mpg. I have a 3:31 and my father has the 3:55. The new 2017 have a ten speed trans and the first two years are lower than mine so I would urge you to get a 3:31.

To get to those numbers I did
Colder plugs, turbo down pipes, cooler t stat, full exhaust, intake, meth injection, and programmer all from livernoise. They told me to stop at that point for reliability that I wanted. I can say that the truck is fast even with 3:31 rear end I can beat my new focus RS and every mustang and camero I see. The programmer was the most noticeable as just that gained me about 93 hp at the tires and they give you five tunes of your choice. Meth made a huge difference but is a bit pricey. And I have yet to find a diesel that can leave me in the rear view. I love stoping and saying it's only a 6 cylinder. I will be purchasing another as soon as this one is done. Just not going as far with the next one as I really don't need a truck that goes this fast.

I'll race you with my 2015 Camaro SS when the warranty is up in two years and I can get her up to the power she deserves to be putting out; I'm talking with a shop that I work with about what we should do at that time. Simply supercharging and tuning should get me over 600 horsepower. Water or nitrous is on the list too but I only have a regular ls block, not the ls-x. I don't want to pass 800 hp or so as the block is only good for 1,000 or so, and I'd worry about durability at that.
At present I only have a high flow air filter on her; she should be putting a bit over 340 horses to the ground with about 410 at the crank... I haven't had a pickup catch me yet even at those numbers though.

Ya most Cameron's are easy and i only know of one truck that's is faster in my area but lots of work down to a LS motor and it blows around every 20,000. Livernoise does have a 893 hp at the wheels ecoboost but that's expensive.
Also don't let them fool you with how much that camero bottom will hold. They don't hold very much. A company by me that does lots of gm testing will not push them over 600hp stock cause they explode. Is much like the 5.0l ford. Lots of people claim 800 hp but they are best left around 500. I went through all this when I bought my truck. Originally planned on doing a 5.0 and boosting it but after talking with livernoise they said the Eco bottom end will hold much more than the stock 5.0 and for much longer. Hence the reason the new raptor went with the Eco. Before you decide I would give livernoise a call and see what they would do to give you an idea of what is realistic for long term power. They do only new cars and lots of awsome camero's.

Another year and another update. Now at 130,000 miles and no issue just brakes so far. A bit more paint scrapped off. No holes in the box or body. Was able to pull a 12:602 1/4 mile this fall at the track. Lots of burn outs and 4 wheel drive launches and it's still going well. In fact I have yet to even shop for another truck. Just goes to show you that all the anti v6 and aluminum was kinda crap. I know I took a chance on it but it's paid off very well for me. I feel if we got rid of so much biased brand loyalty we would get more informed for our$45,000. I used to love all the guys that bought 7.3 power strokes telling me they got 26 mpg all day. I never got more than 16. It's a lot how you drive and wanna stretch the truth. Lots of good choices out now so there is something for everyone.

Another year and another update. Now at 130,000 miles and no issue just brakes so far. A bit more paint scrapped off. No holes in the box or body. Was able to pull a 12:602 1/4 mile this fall at the track. Lots of burn outs and 4 wheel drive launches and it's still going well. In fact I have yet to even shop for another truck. Just goes to show you that all the anti v6 and aluminum was kinda crap. I know I took a chance on it but it's paid off very well for me. I feel if we got rid of so much biased brand loyalty we would get more informed for our$45,000. I used to love all the guys that bought 7.3 power strokes telling me they got 26 mpg all day. I never got more than 16. It's a lot how you drive and wanna stretch the truth. Lots of good choices out now so there is something for everyone.

Good to hear... I'm still on the fence as to what I'm doing with my Camaro, but I've thrown a '16 Ram with the Hemi in the mix too now for good measure. What I've found on this truck is it's a lot faster than the traction management lets it be... The ram will not even go fully traction control off until you are in awd. I've pulled 7 second 0-60 times on icy gravel with a loaded truck in 4wd, but she won't do much better than that in 2wd on dry pavement. I don't have any plans on power adding for it as my wife drives it more than I do. I will probably buy one of the Ram trucks with some variant of the Hellcat engine when the Camaro is paid off... I'm putting my eggs in the v-8 basket for now. In sw N.D. they are having issues with the ford 6 and durability when they push it on the farm. I think it's a bit like the Chevy small block; some push it and get away with it. Some push it and end up paying for an engine build.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.