17 wsm

I have one of the first bmags. Accurate, yes tack driver no! Did I expect it to be a tack driver, not on your life. Am I impressed with it hell yes. My only complaint is that if you expect to eat that rabbit you shoot with it FORGETABOUTIT
But it is a lot of fun to shoot!

Update on my Savage Target model the I use it the more I like it. Last spring I shot a fox at 165 and would have swore I used my 22-250. To say the 20 grain pills at 3000 are explosive is an under statement. Gophers have little left of them. This is like giving the cats puree to eat. The gun seems to keep shooting better all the time. Which is a good thing because here in Alberta ammois about 25 dollars for 50 rounds.

Update on my Savage Target model the I use it the more I like it. Last spring I shot a fox at 165 and would have swore I used my 22-250. To say the 20 grain pills at 3000 are explosive is an under statement. Gophers have little left of them. This is like giving the cats puree to eat. The gun seems to keep shooting better all the time. Which is a good thing because here in Alberta ammois about 25 dollars for 50 rounds.
A while ago Cablas had 25grn on for $17.00 abox with free shipping I order 20 boxes!

Go to ammoseek.com you can look up and see who has the best prices.

And remember, regardless of what bullet it's loaded with or the label on the box, all 17 WSM ammo is made by Winchester.

I did not know that abiut the Winchester connection. Not sure where all these cheap ammo places are but if in the states we need an agent to get them to Canada. Wish I had not missed the Cabela's sale.

Being a big fan of the 17 HMR and the new 17 WSM I wanted to compare them to a 22 mag and the 22 WRF when I overheard a salesman at bass pro telling a customer that It was hotter than the 22 WMR and had to intervene.

At first the customer was surprised that I had chimed in and the salesman was incensed. I just didn't want the guy to be sold a bill of goods buy a sales person that didn't know where his car was parked much less the ballistics of ammo. He was showing the customer a rifle in that cartridge and was uninformed to say the least.

This conversation had came up between me and a good friend earlier so we both looked up the history and ballistics of this cartridge is the only reason I knew anything about it.

The 22 WRF was introduced in 1906 and is definitely not an upgrade to the 22 WMR like the 17 WSM is to the 17 HMR , with 1300 ft/sec for a 45 grain bullet and 169 ft/lbs of energy.

So I recommend that before anyone listens to a sales person, they check out the ballistics themselves. I have seen this type of sales BS before with many center fire cartridges and this just brought it back to my attention once more.

Just cautioning everyone.

J E CUSTOM

Something I've not understood is the generally poor accuracy of the 22mag compared to any of the 17's or even the old 5mm Rem. I've seen it time and time again, the 22mag just doesn't shoot well.

Something I've not understood is the generally poor accuracy of the 22mag compared to any of the 17's or even the old 5mm Rem. I've seen it time and time again, the 22mag just doesn't shoot well.
I've noticed the 17s in general shoot really well. Especially when you start stretching the legs on them and get to 200+ the difference between them becomes more noticeable

This is the reason I have started an experimental project to find out if the problem is the rifles or the ammo. I am building a 22 WMR and pulling out all the stops. I have never had a 22 Mag that could stay with a 17 HMR for accuracy.

I am building this rifle just like I would a center fire rifle. Threading the barrel instead of pressing it in, I am also Installing an integral recoil lug to prevent the action screws from doing this job. And as funny as it sounds, I am considering adding a muzzle brake for the damping effect it could have on the barrel harmonics. this will be part of the testing to evaluate it's effect on accuracy. (Not on recoil)

I have long believed that a muzzle brake will improve the shooters ability more that anything else. But I would also like to know it could improve the rifles accuracy. Once it is broke in, I will test it without anything on the barrel, then with the thread protector and finally with the brake.

I will chronograph all shots and use the Oehler chronograph that will not effect the accuracy with different things mounted on the barrel Even though I love the Magneto Speed.

I have a feeling that Ammo has always been it's downfall, But hope that someone is loading better ammo for the 22 WRM now days. will post the results when done, good or bad.

J E CUSTOM