168 Gr A-Max in .308 for Whitetail?

While I have no experiance with the 168 gr .308 Amax, I have used the 162 gr in .284 to take nine whitetails so far. Most dropped where they stood, and the couple that actually moved only made it a few steps before dropping.

Chris

I have extensive experience with the 155-178 AMAX in the 308 and 300 RUM on deer and sheep. They perform superb.

I think where you get the conflicting info is that the AMAX is technically a "match" bullet and traditional match bullets dont always work well on game. The AMAX is very different than the SMK or Scenar's. They actually do open up on game even at 308 velocities. Hornaday even recomended them for hunting up to deer size critters.

I have a very sought after whitetail tag in AZ this year and my 168 AMAX/308 winnie load is ear marked for this hunt due to its accuracy, good BC (I am getting .491) and its good terminal performance.

You wont be dissapointed.

The 168 Amax has worked on whitetail in the Salmon river country of
Idaho for several years......

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.