1098 yard elk today

COBrad

I've never made a trophy hunter. I've tried, but I invariable end up shooting the first legal animal that comes by.
Yesterday I had about a hundred elk on the ranch, and only a raghorn 4 point and a couple spikes among the cows and calves. I had hoped with last nights' snow a big bull would show when the 4th season opened today. It took until mid-morning to find the elk, and the only new elk I saw was this small 5 point. I decided that the "trophy" was in the shot and not in big antlers. One shot to the shoulder with a Berger 7mm 180 gr hunting VLD and he was down.

Attachments

• 1098 yd elk 11.11.15.jpg
    1098 yd elk 11.11.15.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 67
Congrats! Nice bull. Sounds like a hell of a shot, too. Also good to hear the 7mm 180 VLD's functioning properly at long distance on elk.

1098 is a great shot, right on. Could say I-too take pride in set-up & shot execution just like yourself.. have to make it happen on a good whitetail tho this year, I've got no draws this fall. My brother pulled a Bull tag though, in one of the top-spots out where we're from.. for Elk. We leave on Sunday for that hunt. Anyway. hoping to have a LR story to share like-this in 10 days or so!

...nice glass by the way-- Sucks lugging those big scopes around (I have a Hensoldt on one of my rifles) but man o man is it nice to have them in tough lighting! Contrast in dark nooks and shaded pockets is unbelievable. Well worth having that kinda glass if a guy can afford it!

Congrats on the bull*

Congrats on a very nice bull and on an excellent hunt and shot ... I don't envy the hauling part though. :D

I too am not a trophy hunter but all my hunts are trophies. Thanks for sharing and enjoy some good eats. Cheers!

My hunting buddy and I are still working on our elk tags but most are in private properties. :(

Ed

Congratulations and nice shooting! Looks like another good kill for a QMM rifle, Scott called me yesterday and said my new one is done. Can't wait.

I've never made a trophy hunter. I've tried, but I invariable end up shooting the first legal animal that comes by.
Yesterday I had about a hundred elk on the ranch, and only a raghorn 4 point and a couple spikes among the cows and calves. I had hoped with last nights' snow a big bull would show when the 4th season opened today. It took until mid-morning to find the elk, and the only new elk I saw was this small 5 point. I decided that the "trophy" was in the shot and not in big antlers. One shot to the shoulder with a Berger 7mm 180 gr hunting VLD and he was down.

7mm "A"? Congratulations on a beautiful bull and good eating Sir! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts