10/22 Who builds the most accurate?

I've shot and built plenty of 10/22's of various configurations and brands. If you'r not going to build i yourself:

My hands on experience leads me to the opinion that:

The best accuracy 10/22 clone is the Kidd.
Second Volquarsen 10/22 clone.

After that

Tactical Solutions
Magnum Research

I know there are others but I've only handled firearms with parts from them rather than entire rifles.

Now for my real opinion.

Build it yourself.

You can start with an %80 10/22 clone action, a full 10/22 clone action, a real 10/22 action. They are so available and so many cool parts.

It's a good training exercise to understand how firearms are made and function.

What about a Clark and their one moa guarantee? If you went with the Kidd would you buy the standard barrel attachment or their set up?

Clarke would be great. I get w few Clarke parts for things.

Just never shot one.

The 1 MOA or less at 100 yards should be your goal with any of them.

Fairly large scopes for me. I have used up to Sightron SIII 10-50x60. Aim small, miss small.

I built a custom 10/22 when I was 16, and I still have it to this day. I used a Ruger action and bolt, Valquartsen internals and trigger, small extended mag release (not the huge ugly lever-version offered today), automatic bolt release (you don't have to push the bolt back, then hit the release, then let the bolt go to make the bolt move forward, when locked open, you just have to pull the charging handle back and it slams forward like a normal semi-auto), a Hogue overmold stock, and a .920" diameter 18" stainless fluted Butler Creek bull barrel.

It has since been fitted into a Tactical Solutions stock, which I am NOT a fan of, because my hands are too big to fit into the thumb-hole part correctly...Apparantly they designed them for people with small hands. :rolleyes: So, if you have big hands like I do, I don't recommend buying a Tac Sol thumbhole stock. If I can't find my old Hogue stock, I'm going to just buy a new one, they're pretty cheap.

It has an EGW 0 MOA picatinny rail, Leupold PRW rings, and a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire II 4-12x40 BDC on it. It will shoot around 1" at 100 yards with cheap Federal bulk pack ammo. I can consistently shoot the tops off of 20oz coke bottles at 100 with no problem, and last time I shot for grouping, it was around 1" center-to-center. It's the most accurate .22 rifle I've ever shot. I wish Butler Creek was still making barrels, those things were amazingly accurate.

fullsizeoutput_dcd.jpeg

Last edited:
I like it! I should have bought or built one long ago. I now have a suppressor that hopefully will be out of jail next month. So I have got to get on it.

I've shot and built plenty of 10/22's of various configurations and brands. If you'r not going to build i yourself:

My hands on experience leads me to the opinion that:

The best accuracy 10/22 clone is the Kidd.
Second Volquarsen 10/22 clone.

After that

Tactical Solutions
Magnum Research

I know there are others but I've only handled firearms with parts from them rather than entire rifles.
I built one myself. I was doing gunsmith work on Magnum Research Desert Eagles for coating. The would receive the eagles for coating and I would disassembly and assembly after coating. Magnum offered the mangers rifles 10-22 and I was able to get a carbon fiber barrel for a 10-22. The problem with them was chambers were target only ammo. I had to purchase a reamer semi-target to solve that problem. The mangers returned their rifles.

I have no hands on experience but know a couple of guys that are extremely happy with theirs; check out this Montana 10/22 custom builder >>> http://www.customruger1022s.com/gallery.php

Like others noted, if you have the time and resources, build it yourself. Having said that, I have 2 factory 10/22 I purchased for gopher shooting in the last 3 years that are still unopened. My trusty Winchester 88 .22 LR with tubular mag knocks them fairly well beyond 100 yards. :D:cool:;)

Good luck!

I have no hands on experience but know a couple of guys that are extremely happy with theirs; check out this Montana 10/22 custom builder >>> http://www.customruger1022s.com/gallery.php

Like others noted, if you have the time and resources, build it yourself. Having said that, I have 2 factory 10/22 I purchased for gopher shooting in the last 3 years that are still unopened. My trusty Winchester 88 .22 LR with tubular mag knocks them fairly well beyond 100 yards. :D:cool:;)

Good luck!
I have two boys- one just turned 5 and the other is about 18 months old. I still have my very first rifle, a Marlin model 25 bolt action .22lr that I will be teaching my oldest to shoot his first shots with this summer or fall. When he's good at the fundamentals with that, I plan to pick up a factory 10/22 for him and let him shoot it for a while, then gradually "earn" upgrades through chores, etc and then help him put it all together one at a time so he sees the impact each part has on the overall function and performance. Then I'll repeat with my younger son when he's old enough. This is my plan anyway...

I read a lot of good reviews on the Kidd. I picked one up a couple of months ago. Added a Leapers 2-16 MOA lite reticle with target turrets. Love this set up. It puts 10 rapid shots inside a dime at 50 yards. This is the first gun the grand kids pick when we go shooting. They love the lite reticle, it being semi auto, it's accuracy, and the Silencerco silencer.

I hear Kidd builds the most accurate/real deal 10/22. I build one (10/22) myself. It was pretty darn easy. I got a Fedderson barrel and changed out pretty much everything else with the exception of the receiver. It'll stack 'em at 50 yards and shoots great at 100 yards with good/expensive ammo. A 10/22 isn't still isn't a tack driving bolt gun but is kinda cool. I put a 12 fixed power scope on mine. I think it was to much power for hunting but not bad for target shooting. A good barrel, a fair trigger and a decent stock and you'll have a pretty darn boringly accurate 10/22, provided you feed it the right ammo. If I just wanted the best one and didn't want to do anything but write a check to get it, I'd buy a Kidd with all the bells and whistles but that's like buying the best lawn mower on the planet. You still gotta get out there and break a sweat every weekend regardless of the pedigree. My Fedderson is a hum-dinger even if I'm not that day. It's a 10/22! It's the sock puppet show of theatrical productions.

My advice... build one of your own. It's like making your own ice cream. You Google a thing or two, buy a few parts and drop the tailgate of your pickup as a work bench and put it together like a Christmas present for your kid. Seriously... 10/22's are pretty cave man.
Between YouTube and websites, you'll be fine and have something like a, well, 10/22 or maybe some kind'a family heirloom if your a Kennedy. How gay is that? Seriously, a 10/22 is like the home improvement show with the girl with boobs and a tool belt. It's pretty average. If that bugs you cause your not a "hands-on" guy, that's cool. Just buy the stuff and throw yourself into it. If you get hung up, hey... your a smart guy. There's always options. Chances are, the guy you turn to will recognize that your a dork and walk you through a few steps that you could have figured out yourself if you had the confidence. Just don't video tape the whole thing like I need to see it because I don't. Do your thing and get through it. Now your like us, who by the way all of us love even is we're to " ah, long range hunting to admit it".

10/22... it's not even an "amazing" platform to build from but is OK and Cool. What are you waiting for.?

morning, I have a Ruger M-77 22 magnum bolt gun. with rem. green
tip can see paper move in the shot hole. old 5 star redfield.
have ruger 10/22 with carbon heavy barrel. warne mounts and
straight SWFA 10x. shots constant .500 at 50yrds. winchester
hp ammo. have a rem. 513 total accuracy. justme gbot tum

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts