1 scope (2) rifles?

Rhovee

i am kinda being a cheap *** with this new build I have coming in a few weeks. Had the thought of just buying a rail and new rings so I can change the scope from rifle to the other rifle. I have heard that a zeroed scope isn't to far off when switching it to another rifle. Anyone else do this?

No, I've considered using a scope on a quick detach mount for range/fun rifles that I don't mind tinkering and rezeroing since they are just for fun.

I think it's asking for trouble if one of he rifles is a tool that you need to count on.

This idea was utilized years ago by Bausch & Lomb with their Model A scopes. With the system one could buy a base for each rifle they owned and one scope that was switched from one rifle to the other, because the adjustments were made with the bases. This was an extremely effective system, plus very rigid. Back in the early 70's I took 2 rifles to Wyoming and one scope, one rifle for Mule deer, and the other for prairie dogs. After swapping the scope from one rifle to the other, point of impact never changed. That year I ended up with a huge mule deer and several prairie dogs with two different rifles and one 2 1/2x - 8x Balvar Model A scope. In its day this was top of the line, but by today's standards, quite archaic.

I float a scope around from time to time. There's no reason not to - whether it's for load development, carried as a backup, or just for troubleshooting.

I keep (admittedly shoddy) records, but each rifle has a book. I endeavour to keep a running shot count, but focus more on POI. Keeping DOPE for different loads allows me to switch ammo without having to sight in every time.

Same goes for a scope. After you swap it over, just record how many clicks it took to zero.

After many years of 'lesser' mounts I've been pleasantly suprised how consistently Seekins and Near hardware perform for me. I havent used everything, im not saying 'mine are best', but I have moved a scope from one rifle, to another and back, dialed the correction and confirmed my zero. More than once.

Given your choice I would rather share a good scope and invest in quality hardware, but I'm likely in the minority.

I wouldn't recommend it if you don't have a torque wrench, or only have one scope though...

The thought came from a recent test. I did not have a set of rings for my VH-6 on the new 7 SAUM. There was a rail attached to the 7 SAUM and 338 Edge so i pulled the scope and put it on the 7 SAUM. It was 5 MOA low and 3 moa left and it was zeroed. Just wasn't sure how if anyone else does it. I might have to just pony up and buy a new scope. I just like the most expensive ones...

I think it would be not too bad if you had a good picatinney rail on each rifle and good rings in the scope. I've removed a scope from a rifle that has this sort of mounting interface and when I re-mounted it I was only off one or two clicks. I've done this a few times. Yo would have a different zero on each rifle that you would have to manage.

Larue Tactical makes a very good detachable one piece . I have used mine for years. I have a scope set up for testing and can switch it from rail to rail. I have tested the set up once sighted in , removed it, then replaced it. Shot to point of aim. They are not cheap, but well worth it if it is the route that you want to take.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.