Votes: 171 33.8%
  • 61 to 80 yards

Votes: 111 21.9%
  • 81 to 100 yards

Votes: 40 7.9%
  • Over 100 yards

Votes: 30 5.9%

• Total voters
57.5 yards on this boar hog last night, public land in Cali. Complete pass through, one shot kill, hog went 40 yards before expiring. 2013 Bowtech Assassin, HHA OL5519 sight, Beman 400 ICS arrows, 100 gr Rage chisle tip 2 blade. I practice on a daily basis out to 80 yards, in the wind, up hill, down hill, seated, standing, kneeling, etc...

Its already been said but I can not stand it when people bash others and call them liars when they say they can accurately shoot a bow 100+ yds. With the right equipment and a well tuned bow 100 yds isnt all that difficult with practice. I have never shot at a deer that far though. The farthest i have tried was 72 yds it was a doe and she was looking right at the blind, it was getting late and i had a nocktunral= wrong thing to do. She saw the arrow coming and was gone! My longest kill was about 66 yds she was quartering to me and i put the arrow right threw her front shoulder threw her heart and split the core of her lungs. I also shot a turkey off a log at 62 yds.

When i shoot i normally start at 30 and go back ten yards at a time until i get to about 100-125(as far as my hha slide will go)

I will say once I started shooting 60+ it made my normal 20 yd bow stand shoot a piece of cake!

Shot a 5 x 5 bull elk this year at 50 yards. Unfortunately I thought it was about 40 and hit low. Thank god for good sharp broadheads. Hit him low in the boiler room but did some severe damage anyway. Took him down with a second shot through the lungs at 36 yards. I am shooting a smoking fast bow and even so it still hit 4-5 inches low with the 10 yard misjudgement on the range.

Its already been said but I can not stand it when people bash others and call them liars when they say they can accurately shoot a bow 100+ yds. With the right equipment and a well tuned bow 100 yds isnt all that difficult with practice. I have never shot at a deer that far though. The farthest i have tried was 72 yds it was a doe and she was looking right at the blind, it was getting late and i had a nocktunral= wrong thing to do. She saw the arrow coming and was gone! My longest kill was about 66 yds she was quartering to me and i put the arrow right threw her front shoulder threw her heart and split the core of her lungs. I also shot a turkey off a log at 62 yds.

When i shoot i normally start at 30 and go back ten yards at a time until i get to about 100-125(as far as my hha slide will go)

I will say once I started shooting 60+ it made my normal 20 yd bow stand shoot a piece of cake!

I agree with you on making shots that people don't believe. When I was in my early 20's I shot my 55lbs recurve everyday. I was on a roving range and I was the only one to hit the target at 80 yards. The 3 guys I was shooting with didn't get close. I also beat them in the round. They were using compound bows with sights. I was always.kicking.their.butts when we shot for score.
I also took a coyote off hand, one handed at 80 paces with a super Blackhawk .44 mag w/red dot.
revolver. Some days your lucky and some days yours just flat GOOD because you practice practice practice!
Rupe

Interesting thread. I know some guys that shoot 100+ yards at deer all the time. Unfortunately for everyone they kill, they wound a dozen or more. Ill probably make some enemy's with this statement so ill appologize up front but shooting that far at game is just irresponsible. Big easy to hit animals like caribou and moose you jeopardize penetration at that range and smaller animals that penetration is not a problem, the vital zone is so small making clean ethical kills is not a high probability. In my 23 years of hunting I have lost two big game animals. Both were with a bow. First one crossed onto a neighbors property before expiring and he would not let me retrieve it. Think he may have ate it. The other I could not see the blood very well at all in a 60 acre field. Shot was right at dark. I looked everywhere on the ground with terrible light for deer or blood before giving up. My uncle told me the next day the reason I couldn't find it on the ground is because it was hanging on top of the fence it tried to jump. I circled it a dozen times probably and never even shined the light up 4.5 foot up on the fence. How have I only lost 2 animals in all these years?? Easy, I keep all my shots within a high percentage kill range determined by the size of the animals and the current conditions, weather and everything else. Temp, clothing, lots of things effect your shot. These ranges will vary for everyone. If you can shoot 90 yards and hit a quarter hanging n a deer every shot then more power to you. But don't do it because you're trying to "will"the arrow into the vitals and are just trying to hit "the animal"

This board was created for the expressed purpose of discussing the methods, equipment and techniques of Long Range Hunting without the burden of discussing or debating ethics. Although we all individually have ethics and limitations on what we consider correct, WE DO NOT discuss, nor will we tolerate, discussions of ethics on this site. We are here to learn and share methods, techniques and equipment ideas. This web site and all related or referenced materials and links are solely and strictly for informational purposes. Moreover, this web site is intended solely for the dissemination of information for lawful purposes to Long Range Hunters. The individuals who maintain or contribute written material to the web site known as Long Range Hunting take no responsibility, nor will they be held liable in any way, for unlawful acts that are claimed to have been "inspired" by, motivated by, or suggested by anything presented at this web site. You, as a visitor to this web site, are warned that you, and you alone, are responsible for your own actions at all times, and that you will be held responsible for any unlawful acts you perform.Long Range Hunting will, at any time and at its own discretion, remove comments deemed to be offensive, including, but not limited to, comments which include vulgarity, racism, or any act of unlawfulness. Long Range Hunting makes no claims or representations with respect to any product or procedure discussed or referenced on this page. Visitors to this web site are advised to conduct their own investigations into the quality, adequacy, or propriety of the product or procedure. Further, Long Range Hunting makes no claims or representations with respect to any handloading information contained on this page. Any person using handloading information obtained from this page must remember that each gun/load combination will result in different pressures and any handloader must work up from a minimum load to any load listed on this web site, keeping in mind the safety of the handloader and those around him.
1)*This is a privately owned site developed to foster discussions about Long Range Hunting between like minded hunters.
2)*We do not discuss ethics. To do so will result in the post or posts being edited or deleted.
3)*Public personal attacks between board members will not be tolerated. Fight via e-mail if you wish but not in public.
4)*Troublesome individuals (trolls) or members that appear to be fostering arguments or disagreement will be dealt with in various manners from permanent removal to censorship.
5)*Foul language serves no purpose here and is not appreciated; leave it on the other sites. This applies to inappropriate pictures as well. They will not be allowed.
6)*Racist remarks will not be tolerated.
7)*Posts that are in obvious violation of the law will not be tolerated and the offending member will be reported to the proper authorities.
8)*There will be no threads started for the purpose of airing your problems with individuals, suppliers or manufacturers. (Complaint Threads) Handle those issues privately.
9)*No posts of a religious nature.
10)*No political posts of any kind including 2nd amendment topics. It's too bad but all of these political topics have become too divisive for the members.
11)*Rules are subject to change to meet the needs and desires of the members and owner.

These are the rules of this site... do not discuss ethics.

You are correct. I apologize. I just couldn't help myself. I guess this thread really struck a bad cord with me after listening to those guys talk about "hitting" over 70 deer over the last 20 years that they couldn't find. Again I apologize, unfortunately at this point I cannot edit or remove the post. A moderator will have to do it I guess.

The more I thought about this thread, I thought this could be a way to make bowhunting fun again. I love long range hunting with my rifle and muzzleloader, but I got bored with compound hunting and have been using only traditional bows now for several years for bowhunting. I got my competition compound out and tuned it up again and it only took me a few days to get back to putting some nice groups on paper plates at 100 yards so I went to the farm to try it out on a doe. I elected to use carbon arrows to reduce drag in the animal for better penatration and my rage 100 grn heads because they fly just like my field points. It didn't take long before some does hit the food plot in what I thought was a good spot. I ranged the biggest one at 91 yards.When she turned broadside and was eating I let one fly. The wind was calm where I was but there must had been some across the field though as the arrow hit about 6" rearward of my aim point. The impact should have still been up in the lung area as I could clearly make out the arrow in the ribs. Maybe the rage head requires too much force to drive, and perhaps a narrower fixed blade would have penatrated better. Ive never shot an animal that far so I wasn't sure what would happen, but with 66# and a 100 grain tipped carbon arrow it appeared that I only got about 8-10" of penatration. I'm pretty sure the broadhead didn't come out the other side. The deer ran off with the arrow in place. With no exit hole and the arrow plugging the entrance hole the blood trail was near none. We looked for a long time that night and then the next morning . The evening of the next day we did find it but with the coyotes being so thick on my farm they didn't leave much, a head and spine and a pile of hair. The front legs and neck were still mostly intact but we decided not to waste a tag for 20lbs of meat. There was quite a disturbance around the deer. It looks like the deer wasn't even dead yet and fought the coyotes for a while before they finally took it down. We actually heard the coyotes barking and carrying on the night of the shot, maybe 30 min to an hour after I shot, but that's nothing new. I hear them several nights a week. With only a bow for protection in the dark, we decided not get to close to the area where they were. I debated about switching to fixed blades and trying again, but decided it jsut wasn't worth it and to just go back to my stick bow again. I thought it would be fun and kinda like my long range gun hunting but I really didn't enjoy it at all. It was my longest bow kill, but not one I feel like bragging about.

The more I thought about this thread, I thought this could be a way to make bowhunting fun again. I love long range hunting with my rifle and muzzleloader, but I got bored with compound hunting and have been using only traditional bows now for several years for bowhunting. I got my competition compound out and tuned it up again and it only took me a few days to get back to putting some nice groups on paper plates at 100 yards so I went to the farm to try it out on a doe. I elected to use carbon arrows to reduce drag in the animal for better penatration and my rage 100 grn heads because they fly just like my field points. It didn't take long before some does hit the food plot in what I thought was a good spot. I ranged the biggest one at 91 yards.When she turned broadside and was eating I let one fly. The wind was calm where I was but there must had been some across the field though as the arrow hit about 6" rearward of my aim point. The impact should have still been up in the lung area as I could clearly make out the arrow in the ribs. Maybe the rage head requires too much force to drive, and perhaps a narrower fixed blade would have penatrated better. Ive never shot an animal that far so I wasn't sure what would happen, but with 66# and a 100 grain tipped carbon arrow it appeared that I only got about 8-10" of penatration. I'm pretty sure the broadhead didn't come out the other side. The deer ran off with the arrow in place. With no exit hole and the arrow plugging the entrance hole the blood trail was near none. We looked for a long time that night and then the next morning . The evening of the next day we did find it but with the coyotes being so thick on my farm they didn't leave much, a head and spine and a pile of hair. The front legs and neck were still mostly intact but we decided not to waste a tag for 20lbs of meat. There was quite a disturbance around the deer. It looks like the deer wasn't even dead yet and fought the coyotes for a while before they finally took it down. We actually heard the coyotes barking and carrying on the night of the shot, maybe 30 min to an hour after I shot, but that's nothing new. I hear them several nights a week. With only a bow for protection in the dark, we decided not get to close to the area where they were. I debated about switching to fixed blades and trying again, but decided it jsut wasn't worth it and to just go back to my stick bow again. I thought it would be fun and kinda like my long range gun hunting but I really didn't enjoy it at all. It was my longest bow kill, but not one I feel like bragging about.

This 1 of the most sincere post I read .....

This 1 of the most sincere post I read .....

Not sure what you mean by that.

To the other people who posted their long shots here, was that normal penetration that I got? 8-10". Maybe a foot. I'm just judging by how much arrow was sticking out when it ran off. Arrow was not in it when we found it. I'd like to hear how your shots did

Not sure what you mean by that.

To the other people who posted their long shots here, was that normal penetration that I got? 8-10". Maybe a foot. I'm just judging by how much arrow was sticking out when it ran off. Arrow was not in it when we found it. I'd like to hear how your shots did

What I mean is what I wrote,

Not too many folks will admit to your situation. .

I had a similar situation happening during early archery season this year I shot a doe at 65 yards and the arrow impaled her went straight through but stuck out the other side very little blood didn't get a chance to recover her even after spending 8 hours looking for her I increase my poundage from 65 pounds to 70 pounds on my bow and it goes right through a 66 yards

Well I appreciate what you said then....wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic or what at first. I used to shoot "amateur" competitively with that bow ( nothing pro) and even though it pegs out at 74 lbs, it was much more comfortable to shoot for hours at 66 lbs and my bow has a sweet spot there with my arrow spine and setup. I don't think I will try this again. I just don't feel a bow is very effective that far. If you're getting a pass thru at that distance, that is great. Ill prob go back to keeping my shots under 50 again. I know my bow even if I hit so ribs will still pass thru at that.

Well I appreciate what you said then....wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic or what at first. I used to shoot "amateur" competitively with that bow ( nothing pro) and even though it pegs out at 74 lbs, it was much more comfortable to shoot for hours at 66 lbs and my bow has a sweet spot there with my arrow spine and setup. I don't think I will try this again. I just don't feel a bow is very effective that far. If you're getting a pass thru at that distance, that is great. Ill prob go back to keeping my shots under 50 again. I know my bow even if I hit so ribs will still pass thru at that.

Rib cage is the ticket, forget about expandable I use cut on contact.