Votes: 171 33.8%
  • 61 to 80 yards

Votes: 111 21.9%
  • 81 to 100 yards

Votes: 40 7.9%
  • Over 100 yards

Votes: 30 5.9%

• Total voters
I generally only take a broadside shot or quartering away. With my traditional bows I only use cut on contact heads like a zwicky or woodsman. I did take this guy a few weeks ago. At our farm we shoot 3-1/2 yr and older bucks. This guy was 3-1/2. The neighbors shoot all bucks so its a real challenge getting them to this age. We did kill 3 bucks there this year. No real big ones.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 143
I generally only take a broadside shot or quartering away. With my traditional bows I only use cut on contact heads like a zwicky or woodsman. I did take this guy a few weeks ago. At our farm we shoot 3-1/2 yr and older bucks. This guy was 3-1/2. The neighbors shoot all bucks so its a real challenge getting them to this age. We did kill 3 bucks there this year. No real big ones.

Great management program, excellent shot

If a person is serious about taking big game at longer range with a bow, there are a few things that need to be considered.

1. You need to shoot a heavier than normal arrow. I would think something in the 6 to 7 grains per pound. At minimum something over 400 gr. If you talk to guys shooting rifles at long range, they are shooting heavy for caliber bullets.
  2. Keep the speed down. A good speed should be something in the 280 fps range. Broadheads aren't as finicky at that speed. If your speed is up there, shoot a heavier arrow to slow it down.
  3. Low profile vanes help maintain downrange kinetic energy. You basically use just enough vane to do the job.
  4. Bow has to be perfectly tuned. I go through a bunch of different methods to make sure my set up is correct.
  5. I personally use mechanicals. It really helps with the wind.
  6. Use the new skinnier shafts to help also with wind drift.
  7. I also use a target style sight. My sight I can dial to the yard at the longer ranges.
  8. I don't have my arrows on the bow. I carry a hip quiver of some sort.
  9. I also have a target style stabilizer set up. I have a 15" front stabilizer and a 10" side stabilizer.

My personal set up produces about 94 ft lbs of kinetic energy. I shot my biggest mule deer at 91 yds. That buck was #6 in the desert mule deer with a bow. I shot him through the front shoulder and the broadhead exited the off side just behind the front shoulder. At that time I was shooting a 500 gr arrow at about 275 fps. It was approximately 84 ft lbs of kinetic energy.

Light arrow real fast slows down real fast, a heavy arrow maintains its momentum. I've shot a few animals at extended yardage, but there is a lot of preparation involved.

Last edited:
Too many experts on here, each person needs to know the limitations of their self and equipment. For me, my maximum range varies from year to year based upon my skill set and the equipment I'm using. Currently, I feel very confident cleanly killing at 80-85 yards. I can poke holes in them out past 120 but have found penetration lacking beyond 90 with my setup. As far as light vs heavy goes, if you've did any experimentation you'd know that heavy will out penetrate close by about 10-20% but what would surprise most is at distances beyond 90 I have seen no significant difference given I'm shooting IBO vs heavier. I'm not just spouting this out, I actually shot the arrows side by side out of the same bow and measured penetration. Now if a man was shooting a heavier bow and heavier arrow vs standard bow and standard arrows, yes the heavier rig will out penetrate.

My Mathews Z7 will penetrate the same at 100 yards shooting IBO as the same bow shooting FMJ 300. Now my Mathews Safari 85# will shoot 425 grain arrows at 356 FPS will certainly out penetrate my Z7 in any configuration. Back to the original statement, each person must establish your own maximum effective range.

Just take a look at some of the archery programs and run some numbers and see what you get. The other thing is that you are only looking at one aspect. Using smaller fletch will also help maintain KE downrange. It also quites the arrow and a heavy arrow quites the bow. One other thing I didn't talk about was FOC. FOC has to be up there. As far as being an expert, I'm just sharing what works for me and the results I found. I hunt in southern AZ so opportunities are limited and you have to make the most out of a situation. We don't have the luxury of sitting in a stand. Sitting water is an option but sometimes I don't have the time to make a long sit. Spot n stalk is the way I hunt. I do agree with you on everyone setting their own limits.

Last edited:
The Safari numbers are from 31" draw with 425 grain arrows. 99% of my hunting is either still/spot and stalk/calling from ambush. I do not like to sit in a tree stand unless I have to.

That's a good shot greyfox. A guy I know here is an amazing shot with traditional equipment. He travels around doing archery seminars. Name is Frank Addington Jr. Saw a guy at one seminar taunting him to shoot a deer target set up for the compound shooters at 100 yards. Frank ignored him several times, continuing on with his presentation. Finally with a final taunt from the drunk man frank in one smooth motion drew an arrow from his quiver, knocked while spinning around, and put a perfect lung shot on the deer at 100 yards. The man shut up.

That's a good shot greyfox. A guy I know here is an amazing shot with traditional equipment. He travels around doing archery seminars. Name is Frank Addington Jr. Saw a guy at one seminar taunting him to shoot a deer target set up for the compound shooters at 100 yards. Frank ignored him several times, continuing on with his presentation. Finally with a final taunt from the drunk man frank in one smooth motion drew an arrow from his quiver, knocked while spinning around, and put a perfect lung shot on the deer at 100 yards. The man shut up.

That is an amazing shot with traditional equipment! My hunting is two extremes. Long range rifle, as far as I can effectivly shoot. Up close and personal with my Hiward Hill longbow. Shot a few deer back when compounds first came on the scene , but 99% of my 50 years of archery hunting is traditional, longbow in particular.

Very cool. Howard hill was an amazing shot. Inspirational. I killed my first longbow buck this year. We try to manage the farm for 3-1/2 year old bucks. This is the first one I've had come in range with my longbow. A Martin Savanah.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 140
Very cool. Howard hill was an amazing shot. Inspirational. I killed my first longbow buck this year. We try to manage the farm for 3-1/2 year old bucks. This is the first one I've had come in range with my longbow. A Martin Savanah.

Nice buck......I get the same charge out of shooting a deer at 20 yards with my longbow as one at 1000 yards with my LR rig!