• 61 to 80 yards

Votes: 111 21.9%
  • 81 to 100 yards

Votes: 40 7.9%
  • Over 100 yards

Votes: 30 5.9%

• Total voters
Varmint Hunter

Once upon a time long ago there was an expression that we used.
Depending on the the exact circumstances it went something like this- "Are those words made out of chocolate?"

:D :D :D

Now then if you look at the distribution of results for rifle longest shots and for archery longest shots you will see that they are almost exactly the same distribution. From which we can deduce that either the bowhunters are just as big of liars as the rifle hunters or that there are about the same percentage of bowhunters who make the really difficult shots as there are rifle hunters. Secondly we can deduce that most people do not shoot past 80 yards or 800 yards but those few that do will shoot a long long ways because they have practiced long and hard to do so.light bulb

About 7 years ago I shot a large doe at a lasered 65yds. She was with 6 others and dwarfed them. I know the deer in my area and have never seen this one. Not only was she big but there was something strange about her but I didn't pick up my bino's, just ranged and concentrated on the shot. The shot was good and I recovered her quickly. The strange thing about her.....SHE HAD A COLLAR ON HER NECK!!! Not a game and fish collar but a large bandanna tied around her neck. That doe weighed 200 lbs easy and took up the entire bed of my buddies Isuzu pick up. I have pictures of her at home somewhere and when I get back I'll see if I can find them to post. By the way, after work almost everyday (unless weather or the schedule doesn't allow) I shoot my bow. I have a bow range set up out to 75 yards and am very consistent out to that range if the wind isn't kicking.

Varmint Hunter

Once upon a time long ago there was an expression that we used.
Depending on the the exact circumstances it went something like this- "Are those words made out of chocolate?"

:D :D :D

Now then if you look at the distribution of results for rifle longest shots and for archery longest shots you will see that they are almost exactly the same distribution. From which we can deduce that either the bowhunters are just as big of liars as the rifle hunters or that there are about the same percentage of bowhunters who make the really difficult shots as there are rifle hunters. Secondly we can deduce that most people do not shoot past 80 yards or 800 yards but those few that do will shoot a long long ways because they have practiced long and hard to do so.light bulb

Following your reasoning, the guys who are making rifle kills @ 800+ yards are also making the 100+ yard bow kills and are probably the same guys who are catching the 60 lb striped bass. Sooooo, I'd still like to hear their stories.

I know lots of guys who have made 800+ yard rifle kills, including myself, but I've yet to meet anyone who has made a 100+ yard bowkill. If you guys are out there; let's hear your stories.

And while I'm not too sure about the chocolate thing, I am sure that there is often a fudge factor included in many incredible stories. That's why the BIGGEST one is the "one that got away".

Have tryed bow hunting big game with a bow but I would make for one starving Indian :eek: Got a couple of coon and a few prairie dogs though
This dog was shot @ 53 yards by a buddy, no pics but I got one @ just under 50 that day but it took a couple of tries :D

June11%20012.jpg

just got into shooting rifles in the last two years so no long range shots on animals yet still practicing....but have been competing in asa and mba achery for the past 11 years...i would have never tried this shot on a deer as i am comfortable shooting deer to about 65 yards under perfect conditions and the animals is very calm...if alert the ball game changes but i made a 91 yard perfect killing shot on a hog last year....hog weighed 462lbs and was shot with a bowtech allegiance set at 71lbs shooting an easton acc 360 with a simmons 100gr landshark at about 309fps.

I shot a small bull elk on Mount Taylor at 50 yards. The bull only went about 10-yards before he expired. I was shooting a High Country Carbon 4- Runner bow at 65lbs at the time with a 100 grn fixed three blade broad head.

Whitetail three years ago, 78 yards. Mathews MQ-32, 74 lbs 30 in. draw, 60% let off. 319 fps. Gold Tip arrows with 100 gr. Spifire. Only deer I've ever heard make a sound when shot. I can't even describe it, gave me goose bumps. Recovered within 50 yards.

Varminthunter, You have met one now. At least over the internet. But I am still looking for that 60 pound striper, 20 pound bass, 5 pound crappie, etc. My biggest so far were just 59.9, 19.9 and 4.9. Ounces! But I can shoot a bow really good. And fish really good with one to.