Wyo trophy antelope opportunity

jimss

I'm a trophy antelope fanatic and thought I would toss out an invitation to anyone interested in joining me in 2017. I've been hunting a private 150,000+ acre ranch in the heart of B&C country in Wyoming off and on for quite a few years. It would require 7+ pref pts to draw the unit and a trespass fee to access the ranch. We would apply together and average pref pts. You would be welcome to hunt on your own or I would be glad to accompany you. I have lots of experience hunting the ranch and field judging B&C bucks.

The ranch is also one of the best areas I've found for hunting with bow from waterhole blinds. There are very few water sources and the antelope tend to congregate on the few water sources that are available on the ranch. I generally look over 50 to over 100 bucks/day and are super selective. Last year the guys I applied and hunted with all got bucks in the 78 to 83 B&C range. An 80" buck was harvested by a long bow hunter at 15 yards...not exactly long range hunting! We set up 4 blinds for him well in advance of the season. The ranch manager told my buddy that a dozen booner bucks were harvested on the ranch last year. The winter has been relatively mild so far and I expect the quality to be just as good or better this coming season.

If interested please pm me and I will share more details. I also have lots of pictures from last year and previous years.

I'm still searching for someone to hunt trophy antelope in Wyo this year. Feel free to send me a pm or email at [email protected] if you are interested or have any questions.

I'm game and love hunting and eating antelope! Unfortunately I only have 4 pref points in WY at this time. :-(

I'd love to know more about future hunts when the time is right.

Thanks!

~Robert

It's getting close to crunch time for the Wyo antelope draw deadline. I have 1 guy with 10 pref pts committed but would like to find 1 or 2 more guys with 7+ pref pts to apply. Things are looking excellent on the ranch for trophy antelope this coming season....relatively mild winter, decent spring moisture, and lots....and lots of mature bucks passed up last season. PM me if interested!

I think you forgot to tell them you have no PPs and that is why you want someone with a lot of PPs since the unit you hunt takes only 3 or 4 PPs to draw, not 7, and the ranch access fee is $750.

the way i see it is if you are from out of state and have 7 points its not a bad deal. if you look at the draw odds across the state 7 points doesn't get you any premium tags. $750 ranch access might be high or might not, if you have access to upper 70s lope and possibly 80s! it comes down too trust that this guy will do what he says.if i had 7 i would be talking to him for this coming year. the wife and i only have 6 so we are looking else were,we both have shot allot of goats here in Montana, i can tell you local knowledge is worth something points are what he wants. so i wouldn't bad mouth him on all these forums Ive come across!!it doesn't work for you but it might for some. that's my 2 cents worth,and its probably not worth that. have a good day Cody

the way i see it is if you are from out of state and have 7 points its not a bad deal. if you look at the draw odds across the state 7 points doesn't get you any premium tags. $750 ranch access might be high or might not, if you have access to upper 70s lope and possibly 80s! it comes down too trust that this guy will do what he says.if i had 7 i would be talking to him for this coming year. the wife and i only have 6 so we are looking else were,we both have shot allot of goats here in Montana, i can tell you local knowledge is worth something points are what he wants. so i wouldn't bad mouth him on all these forums Ive come across!!it doesn't work for you but it might for some. that's my 2 cents worth,and its probably not worth that. have a good day Cody

It wasn't bad mouthing and I have shared points before, but rather an attempt to get the facts out in the open like should have been done in his first post! It's not a bad deal, but actually that's not what point sharing was designed for when the G&F started it in 2006. It was meant for families so all could hunt together if a tag was drawn as a party, not to allow people to get points from strangers so they can hunt every year when they don't have any or enough points to draw said unit. I hunt Wyoming every year and my resident buddy has killed 5 bucks over the last five years in a unit that would take me five PPs and the bucks ranged from 77" to a B&C all time record book buck that scored 84 4/8". If you want to PM me I'll even give you the unit number and where to hunt it to have a good chance at a buck in the high 70s or better on your 6PPs this year!

I think this is a great idea for a post....and a great idea for a hunt. You have done the leg work, and someone should have a serious point total to be accepted as a partner in the hunt. I wish there were more posts like this.........with differing criterion. Having only two points in the bank, I still want to hunt goats. I need either another area with a high percentage draw due to a high trespass fee, or a buddy with 10 preference points. Anyone know of an area where drawing is easy because of private land, but that land requires a stiff trespass fee, but no need for a guide and outfitter??We need some classic guys with big shirts and small hats.Know any such areas, please give us a shout................ Good luck.........................FW Bill

It wasn't bad mouthing and I have shared points before, but rather an attempt to get the facts out in the open like should have been done in his first post! It's not a bad deal, but actually that's not what point sharing was designed for when the G&F started it in 2006. It was meant for families so all could hunt together if a tag was drawn as a party, not to allow people to get points from strangers so they can hunt every year when they don't have any or enough points to draw said unit. I hunt Wyoming every year and my resident buddy has killed 5 bucks over the last five years in a unit that would take me five PPs and the bucks ranged from 77" to a B&C all time record book buck that scored 84 4/8". If you want to PM me I'll even give you the unit number and where to hunt it to have a good chance at a buck in the high 70s or better on your 6PPs this year!

TopGun--you need to work on your delivery; your post definitely came off poorly. As a NR with a pile of points and no place to go, I think it is a great way to use them. All parties involved benefit. Wish I had more vacation time this year to get in on it.

TopGun--you need to work on your delivery; your post definitely came off poorly. As a NR with a pile of points and no place to go, I think it is a great way to use them. All parties involved benefit. Wish I had more vacation time this year to get in on it.

You work on your delivery and I'll stick with mine and tell it like it is! If you have a pile of PPs you have plenty of places to use them and kill a good animal, so that comment was baloney. The averaging system was not designed to sell points or do what some are doing asking people with a lot of points to share them so a guy can hunt every year. The people doing the averaging and drawing tags like that are screwing people that don't get drawn that would have had the points necessary to draw that tag if it hadn't been for someone with a lot of points sharing theirs. Therefore the people averaging points like this thread is asking for benefits them, but screws ones that don't get drawn because of it.

PS: I've already given two members that sent me PMs asking for help in where to use their PPs and kill a good buck on public land. I'll do the same for you if you care to contact me without asking for anything in return but a thank you!

Obviously everyone has their opinion on point averaging. If you talk to the guys I hunted with last year they would say they had an incredible experience and would definitely do it again. One of the guys I hunted with last year harvested 84 B&C buck and was physically challenged. Not to put him on the spot but he could barely hike more than a few hundred yards from the truck. We shared an amazing hunt together and everyone in our party harvested amazing bucks! We made lifetime friends from the experience. In fact, 2 of the guys in our party that didn't know each other prior to our antelope hunt just met up again and went on a fishing trip to Flaming Gorge.

Some guys obviously like to hunt on their own but others don't have the gear, knowledge, and ability to field judge bucks/bulls....and want to make the best out of all the preference points they burn. Having access to a private ranch with little hunting pressure and trophy bucks can be fairly tough to come by. Hunting with someone knowledgeable about the area with years of trophy field judging experience can be pretty tough to beat!

It sounds like some don't realize that point averaging burns preference points. Those with high pref pts make it easier for those interested in drawing higher pref pt units to draw tags. If I have 3 pts and the guy I apply with has 10. By averaging and burning our pts we are making it easier for other people with 3 and 10 pts to draw tags. If I have 0 pref pts and apply with someone with 7 pts..and draw..we are making it easier for those with 0 and 7 pref pts to draw.

With that said, I would caution everyone to check things out before point averaging with a stranger. I would also mention that there is nothing better than sharing an incredible experience with someone knowledgeable about hunting trophy critters in an area they know well!

I have to say that your comment that some don't know that averaging PPs with someone burns PPs is not accurate. ANYONE that is in the PP rat race knows that if they draw a first choice tag that their PPs go to zero for the following year. To say that you are helping guys draw tags when you average your 0 PPs with someone that has 7 PPs is really trying to justify what you're doing when it also takes at least two tags away from people that would have drawn your unit that had enough PPs if you hadn't averaged with a high point holder. We have know each other a long time jimss and I know you're an honest, good guy and the people you average with are probably getting a good deal. It's the people that don't get drawn that year for that unit because of your averaging that are getting screwed and that's really too bad. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this averaging deal because while it helps you and maybe one or two others that average with you there are that many others that don't get drawn because of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.