Writer needed - Scope Mounting - To Lap Or Not To Lap

Andy Backus

Field Editor
Staff member
Article discussing the pros and cons of lapping rings. I would be especially interested to have the writer make contact with a handful of "industry experts" to get their opinion.

For example at SHOT Show last year I asked Glen Seekins and he was not in favor of lapping his rings.

Hi,
I did lap my rings as the scope mfg recommended it, basically the reason was for even & consistent contact & also to eliminate any possibility of un-even stress on the scope tube. With all that being said I have also owned many rifles in which the rings were not lapped. After I talked to the mfg on the phone & with the info on their website I figured it could only help & couldn't hurt. Also this was for a long range rifle set-up (1000+ yds) so once again I figured it could only help. I am very happy with my results out to 800 yds so far as I'm consistently group @ 2-2.5 in. I do reload, and so I'm sure that helps me a lot :) but from now on I do plan on lapping all my rings.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.