Wolves Dying!?!

geo4061

I was watching a National Geographic Special on Yellowstone. They said half the wolf packs had died. The cause was a mite. This mite burrows under their their skin and causes their fur to fall out. Much like the Mange. They soon die. They showed pictures and a lot of them looked terrible. Maybe prayers have been answered. Have you seen this? Have you noticed any increase in deer or elk herds?

I was watching a National Geographic Special on Yellowstone. They said half the wolf packs had died. The cause was a mite. This mite burrows under their their skin and causes their fur to fall out. Much like the Mange. They soon die. They showed pictures and a lot of them looked terrible. Maybe prayers have been answered. Have you seen this? Have you noticed any increase in deer or elk herds?

We can hope. I will be down in SW MT next week elk hunting. We have seen quite a few wolves the last couple of years there. I would like to shoot another this year but it won't bother me if we see none.

Steve

Sounds like nature is taking it coarse again. Thats the same thing that happens to the PD on the CMR. They will not let you shoot the PD's. Then after a bit they are gone from a disease they get. Happens when there to many in one spot.

Disease is "the" factor in canine population reduction. To many dogs... disease takes over and populations crash. disease and poison are the only real controls that have ever worked.

They were brought to the brink of extinction by bullets and traps, not disease. The trouble is to few people realize there were good reasons for that.

They were brought to the brink of extinction by bullets and traps, not disease. The trouble is to few people realize there were good reasons for that.

Actually it was neither shooting or trapping although trapping was done for specific depredation issues and shooting was more a matter of opportunity. Disease is natures way of crashing a population however disease seldom wipes a species out in an area and once crashed, it begins it's cycle of equilibrium again. What got wolves out of the lower 48 was the U.S. Dept of Ag using poison baits and M44's. No doubt private ranchers claimed their share using poison as well. Even with radio collar tracking (which wasn't even thought of back in the day) of a pack, your not going to wipe out a the pack by shooting or trapping although it will give you a sense of control and makes for excellent conversation around the fire.

The wolf is a very social animal. The mite is spread trough contact. They greet each other by rubbing up next to each other. They said half the packs had died and it was still spreading. They showed several wolves that were infected. This is a nasty, terrible, slow suffering way to die. Mother nature will take take of over population problems thru disease or starvation. PETA and anyone that thinks hunting is not necessary for population control should be forced to watch films like this.

Jesus Mike 338, you can't post educated, factual information about wolves here. mtmuley

I probably shouldn't mention how canines are able to spontaneously increase their litter size/count when environmental factors are favorable and canine density is low. Basically, when there's plenty of groceries around, if you shoot one, you get two pups in it's place. A void causes a pack to split, introducing another breeding pair in the area. Coyotes do it better than the others. It's pretty much like pruning a willow. They just come back better. Should you shoot one to fill your tag? Absolutely. Just pointing out that maximum effort and an itchy trigger finger doesn't trump a good durse of pestilence.