Wolf

rem40xb1

IMG_0087_zpseb6d9d37.jpg

Yes that was the only Wolf so far. There is a group of elk in the area and the wolves are in the area because of the Elk. If I can get a pattern figured out on the wolves I will reduce the numbers as much as I can.

This may not win me too many friends...
Seeing as it is usually folk from the US telling the rest of us how stuff should be done... So, from a 5th generation Aussie farmer, hunter, wildlife photographer ... whose favourite rifle happens to be a prototype (pre Mk 5) Weatherby 300 Mag .... I reckon rem40xb is way off track with his comment about wanting to whack out as many wolves as possible .... They are in there to cull the weak and sickly, selecting out the ones you really do NOT want to breed from.... The fastest, strongest and most able to defend themselves are normally the least likely to finish up as lunch..... Wolves, or in our case, dingoes, in closely settled areas, or in a mob of sheep are a totally different matter ... although where I live currently, in intensive cropping country, we don't shoot the dogs as they love eating feral pig, and pigs do waaaaay more damage.... I'll try to post a relevant picture.... .... nope, cannot get it in... can anyone help with attaching an image please...?
Have lots of friends in Idaho from an exchange program years ago ... "Rockwood" may ring a bell for someone there..! DO NOT eliminate your 2nd top predators!! We are the Top, but sometimes we do not think too hard about what we are doing ....

You are correct Silver Dog, not winning any friends... Circumstances are much different here in the US than in Australia. Re-introduction and protection of the wolf (and grizzly) are a key component of the anti hunters strategy here in North America. Their plan is to reduce the population of game animals below huntable levels. This is also what is behind their efforts to limit or eliminate hunting of mountain lion. Think it through guys, the anti's strategy is brilliant and it is working! I live in ILLINOIS and the director of the IL Dept of Conservation (a liberal political hack who happens to be in charge of the bureaucracy that regulates hunting & fishing) recently came out saying that wolves, bears & mountain lions should be protected species here. This was in response to recent confirmed sightings of all three near Chicago. I know this is hard to believe but it is true - a couple years ago a full grown mountain lion was cornered & killed by the police in an alley in the middle of Chicago! The IL Dept of Conservation also just reduced the number of deer hunting permits that will be available this year...

When it comes to culling the herd of sick and weak animals all I can say is that all the deer fawns and Elk calves must be born weak and sick because the wolves are killing most all of them in my area. And wolves don't kill just to eat. 2 Wolves killed 28 sheep in one night in my area. They must have been real F--king hungry

Sorry I bothered....
As I said, I am a 5th generation farmer, and a keen hunter... and I did mention that dingoes / wolves cannot co-exist with sheep .... The worst dog we ever had to deal with killed 56 the first night, 53 the second, we got him on the 3rd.... Still have not figured out how to post pictures so I cannot put in one I managed of a dingo galloping with a kicking piglet held firmly ... They were / are significant feral pig controllers....
However, I am only an Aussie, so what would I know.....??
Go for it fellas.....

Silver Dog, i'm saying that Dingos or wolves or coyotes don't really affect the hog population as much as a lot of people think they do.... Now that is fact..... Do some research and you'll find out....

I would be ok with wolves being one of the natural predators if all of the other predators had not filled the need while the wolf was gone. The wolf was simply introduced and encouraged to thrive, throwing aside the natural balance of predators and prey. There is not a deer/elk/sheep over population problem in any of the areas the wolf has been introduced.

Coyotes, bobcats, mountain lions and bears have filled the need.

Hunterbob.....
I have lived with all the different wildlife / livestock / human interactions for almost 70 years now and have not done research in an air-conditioned building on some university campus, but in the field, largely on my own property .... with a pair of binoculars, a camera, and a variety of rifles to keep some order in the troops.... In sheep country dingoes were an absolute no-no .... pigs flourished there and they were almost worse than dogs when big animals got amongst lambing ewes ... all you found was a bloody spot on the ground where the lamb was ... Where I am now in sugar cane and vegetable growing country there are no livestock. A couple of years ago a pair of dingoes raised 5 pups using a length of 18" poly pipe as their home ... this in the middle of a 10,000 acre very busy cane farm ... the ground around the front of their home was littered with the remains of pig and they hunted them almost exclusively. No, I don't know exactly what percentage of the overall population they accounted for ... there they were hunting for food, rather than the "thrill killing" that they do a brain-snap over when they get into a mob of sheep .... I know I shot 363 big pigs there in 3 years, and between us we kept the pig numbers to reasonable levels ... they were forever moving in from drier country, so no real end to it...
However, I'm over this, I'm sorry I even started ... so you blokes do whatever it is that floats your boat ... it has very little bearing on the rest of us....

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.