Winchester Model 670A 30-06

Mountain Sloth

I came up with an idea for a 30-06 build and i'm wondering if i'm going in the right direction. I have a Winchester Model 670A in 30-06 as the title suggests. I've wanted to build my first long range rifle (out to 600 yards on elk maybe a little further for deer, and 1000 for steel) i really need something that i can learn with as my skills increase and eventually build more riles because why would i only want one... How hard would this be to keep with the 30-06 and rebarrel with a 26 inch #5 of some sort, a vortex 6.5-20X50, and most likely a bell and carlson. I know i'll need bottom metal, the trigger will at least be worked. I know that equipment will probably not be the limiting factor so much as myself but i want to give myself the best possible chance to succeed and learn. Budget is obviously a factor and the rifle has sentiment to it. The bottom line is would this build be feasible or would i be completely wasting my time and money..

How does it shoot now?
For sentimental reasons maybe leave it as is. (Easy for me to say I haven't been passed down any family bolt action rifles).
I have a Rem 700 with a 22" barrel -not factory but 1-12 twist. I shoot the Berger 180 Elites at 2720 fps, not fast but accurate. According to the math this would do what you are asking it to do easily to 600 yards if the gun is capable. Maybe work the trigger over and see how it does. Then look to build/buy later. I have had a few that were made to shoot after a barrel swap amd trigger work. None were Wins though-Ruger and Rem 700s-all from 1974-1978 production.

I'm sure one of the gents on here who do gunsmithing work can tell you if its a worthwhile build project. In the end, make it what YOU want.

The gun shoots cheap 165-180 grain ammo rather well, sub moa every time we have ever tested it. i'm not sure how much longer the barrel will last as i don't think it was always properly cleaned and its been hunted a lot here in Montana ever since it was purchased back when my mom was young. i will eventually hand load for it just haven't found the time to load for the three rifles i have and that will probably be the determining factor. i mostly just want something different to add and thats kinda where this idea comes up.

i mostly just want something different to add and thats kinda where this idea comes up.

Wait till you start handloading...seems a load is never good enough.

As for a 30-06. You should have barrel life in the 5000 range. As long as it shoots well. Try stretching it out.

Heavier profiled barrels help with this as they are more stable/forgiving.

My first rifle was a 670 in 30-06... it was a good shooter and didn't let on how cheap of a rifle it really was. I'd buy another rifle (say a 700lr in 300win) for long range work and leave the old girl, especially if it shoots well.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.