Wildcat Cartridges

MudRunner2005

I have had this wildcat cartridge in mind for a while, but don't know where to start or begin. I have the idea, but need someone who is honest and can draw up dimensions for me without ripping my idea off, and submitting it for their own. I don't have a clue if this has already been tried before of not, since I don't discuss it with many people. I am just wondering which direction I need to head. And how much it will cost. It uses a parent cartridge, so the cost should basically just come down to scaling dimensions and having a custom reamer and custom dies made...

If anyone can give me any info on where to begin, it will be greatly appreciated.

Nobody else has any help for getting a wildcat started? Any computer programs I can download to create specs, etc???

You could down load a cad program called draftsight, I think you can get it for free. I would then try and find dim's of the parent case and do any modification you want.

I would call a reamer company and discuss it with them. Unless you intend to patent it I wouldn't worry about discussing it with others as most everything has been done to one degree or another. The reamer companies will also send you reamer prints of the parent case or whatever version they have that is closest.

I may be wrong, but this is a mix between several different cartridges....I'm 99% sure it would be new to the game... And if it works as good as it does in my head, I think it could take off with a bang (pun intended). :D

I have done a couple of wildcats. I downloaded a blank reamer print from the PTG website, filled in the blanks, and faxed it to them. They made the reamers and sent them to me.

I've had a couple unique ideas, had them all figured out and then go to order a reamer and find out I've just reinvented a cartridge that is already out there.

I would try to find a way to make a case to make sure that you can reasonably obtain your design with quality brass, you may find the parent brass does not like something you'd have to do or that the case changes in such a way you will have to add steps or change a diameter on the reamer.

the company that makes QuickLoad also has a program called QuickDesign.

Here is a snapshot of a 6.5-06 AI:

6[1].5-06ai_drawing.jpg

I had this sent to me by a friend, so I don't know all of the particulars of the program other than it exhists and he has used it to design some cartridges of his own.

Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts