Wifes first western hunt- help

magedon44

Hey All,
I'd like to take my wife on her first western hunt. Id like to make it a little vacation/hunt for her. She's never been out west so id like to show her some sites and maybe take her into Jackson Hole to show her the town. We are from Pa so we would fly out maybe rent a car, hunt then travel for a few days. I'm not looking for a trophy goat or deer just a reasonably priced outfitter or a DYI area that she could maybe pull the pin on something with horns lol. She has no preference on hunting goats or even a mule deer. If anyone has any advice on a public area or fairly priced outfitter in the west with decent accommodations for her first hunt please let me know. We are not set on Wyoming so if you have any suggestions on other states please feel free to chime in. Thanks!

Wyoming's website has a great breakdown of draw odds and public land per unit. I've only hunted the east side of the state so I can't tell you what it's like out by Jackson hole. Most areas with a good amount of public land require some preference points to draw, but I was able to draw what turned out to be a great unit my first year hunting Wyoming by spending extra for a nonresident special license.

I will definitely recommend antelope hunting in Wyoming over just about anything else if your primary goal is to get your wife an opportunity on an animal.

If you don't have preference points in Wyoming then you can apply for the "special draw" tags. They cost a couple of hundred dollars more but have better draw odds. Be sure to check the draw odds for that category because even paying extra may not be enough to get you a tag in a lot of areas. Doe tags are easier to come by and to me are preferable to bucks with small horns.

I have relatives in the Casper Wyoming area. So over the years i have gone hunting every where from Rock springs, Casper, and on north to Gillette. You just see antelope while out driving. On one hunt my buddy got a 86 B&C

North of Jackson which is really just a yuppy tourist town, you have the beautiful grand Teton mountain range and the south entrance to Yellowstone national park.

Lot to see all over the state.

You don't need a big caliber magnum. I'm a many year 243 man. I have the tall Harris bypods for the open grass land hunting. and a blanket for the pickup hood or bed.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.