Wife Gets Her First Bow Kill!

Captn C

I live in the outdoors, but ihave to stay in the H
I guess I should add...2nd and 3rd bow kills as well.....

The wife and I headed down to Port Lavaca to do some bow hunting and test out her new Stealth Cam. Both went very well!

We started out looking for hogs Saturday morning as we have a very health population hogs. It was good thing I had corned Lucrecia's area good about midnight Friday night. I have her stand set up for a south wind and the wind Saturday morning was variable; so of course we couldn't hunt from her tree stand either.

In the past early in the season you can expect the hogs to follow any good corn trail, so we had set up west of her stand about 100 yards from her feeder.

Sure enough less than 5 minutes had pasted since the feeder went off and here comes the hogs. There was about 15 50lb class and at least two that were near 150lbs. Just as if they had read the script two 50lbers hit the trail of corn and were headed our way. We had two holes to shoot though and they fed though the first one too fast, but Lucrecia was already at full draw and had to wait until they came into the next opening. I'm sure it felt like forever standing there holding her bow at full draw, game too close to let down, and taking their sweet time moving to the next opening.

Finally, they clear and she releases. OH a bit back, but it passes though and the hog dives into the weeds. The shot looked to be able 4 or 5 ribs back from the back of the shoulder. MAN was she excited, I told her the hit looked pretty good….then I noticed more hogs coming down the road. I carried her arrows, so I gave her another one. She got ready again, came to full draw and again they passed though the first opening too fast and she had to wait.

This time the hog stopped and look at us for a second then when on to eating. She settled the pin and released! Again a smooth pass though, but this time tight against the back of the front shoulder. I couldn't believe she had pulled off two shots like that; her nerves had to be shot. We were snickering and I gave her a big huge, told her how proud I was of her. When…

I looked up and here comes some more hogs down the road. My bow was in hand out of habit, but wasn't ready for action and Lucrecia insisted that I shoot one now. Well, I had my arm guard on, but not my release. Once it was out of my pocket and secured in place the pair of hogs were passing the first opening. Quickly I came to full draw and in one motion settled the pin behind the shoulder and let it rip. It was another clean pass though and the hog really didn't know what had happened. I even thought it might expire in site, but it too baled off into the brush.

Lucrecia had never witnessed an animal being shot in person without being behind the bow or gun. She couldn't get over how cool it looked, watching the arrow flight and the pass though. We waited while the rest of the group finished the corn under feeder and watched them leave before we started tracking.

As it turned out all three went down the same trail to enter the brush, but broke off in different directions as soon as they got into the brush. I decided to track the worst hit hog first, but the tracking job was very easy and he was dead within 50 yards of the shot.

I accidentally tracked mine next and it was very short. Lucrecia asked "is that one mine?"
Then I noticed the three blade hole, she is shooting a 4 blade, "no, this one is mine". She was a bit bummed, but I assured her, her other hog would be easy to find and it was. All three hog were within 25 yards of each other.

She took a nap while I took care of the processing duties. When I woke her for the afternoon hunt, she was surprised we were going back out. Piffft! It a whole new ball game, I told her. So we loaded up and were off.

We went back to the same spot only in the tree stand over the feeder this time. A small 4 point came in first, but was soon displaced by the hogs. Even though there were two large hogs again, they were not as big as the two from the morning, so I think they are a different group. Any way they are just getting settled in under the feeder when here comes an old cow and calf. Lucrecia was at full draw too and didn't want to let down, but had to. Normally it is "game over" when something spooks the hogs around the feeder, but not this time.

The old cow charged the hogs once and the hogs charged her a couple times, craziest thing I have ever seen. It looked like the old cow was going to clear after a few tense moments. Just as Lucrecia to draw the arrow came off the rest and when she tried to catch knocked it off the string. That panicked everyone, but the hogs still were more interested in the corn than some odd noise.

I gave her another arrow and she came to full draw and took the first one to offer the best shot. Her arrow few true and she had her third hog for the day. Not too bad for her junior year as a bow hunter!

Here is few pics of the proud hunter!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.