Why does your scope's zero shift? - video

The way my grandfather and father taught me, was I had only one weapon and I had it with me at all times! My brain, all others were tools. Regardless if it was a pistol, rifle or a knife. They were just tools. Merry Christmas to all, Loki

Weapon describes intent and anything can be a weapon if it is intended to inflict harm on someone/thing.

All of my rifles are used to hunt. In hunting, I kill animals. killing animals is harming something. So I guess that means it is fine to refer to my rifles as weapons, which I sometimes do.

[count] 1 : something (such as a gun, knife, club, or bomb) that is used for fighting or attacking someone or for defending yourself when someone is attacking you
▪ assault with a deadly weapon ▪ a concealed weapon ▪ chemical/biological weapons [=weapons that use dangerous chemicals, germs, etc.] ▪ weapons of mass destruction [=weapons that can destroy entire cities, regions, etc.] ▪ The police never found the murder weapon. [=the weapon used to commit murder]
2 : something (such as a skill, idea, or tool) that is used to win a contest or achieve something
▪ The pitcher's slider is his most effective weapon. ▪ a new weapon in the fight against cancer ▪ The mayor's campaign unleashed its secret weapon.

No really it's not fine unless your out to harm or kill someone.

[count] 1 : something (such as a gun, knife, club, or bomb) that is used for fighting or attacking someone or for defending yourself when someone is attacking you
▪ assault with a deadly weapon ▪ a concealed weapon ▪ chemical/biological weapons [=weapons that use dangerous chemicals, germs, etc.] ▪ weapons of mass destruction [=weapons that can destroy entire cities, regions, etc.] ▪ The police never found the murder weapon. [=the weapon used to commit murder]
2 : something (such as a skill, idea, or tool) that is used to win a contest or achieve something
▪ The pitcher's slider is his most effective weapon. ▪ a new weapon in the fight against cancer ▪ The mayor's campaign unleashed its secret weapon.

No really it's not fine unless your out to harm or kill someone.

...or your intent is to defend yourself as in concealed carry.

In essence my carry gun is a weapon. It's certainly not for hunting or for any sportsman like pursuit. It's for one thing and it's a tool. You can use a socket wrench for a hammer in a pinch......:)

Of course there is a couple crossovers. My 29 Smith 44 magnum long barrel revolver makes a dandy deer gun and Clint Eastwood memorialized it in numerous 'Dirty Harry' movies and it carries nicely in a shoulder rig and packs a big wallop.

Then there is my Kinmber full size 1911 semi-auto that also makes a dandy carry gun and a good animal dispatcher plus a nice range gun for 50 foot indoor match with lead projectiles...

Might as well include my little Bond 45-410 2 shot derringer. Nice pocket gun, nice close in varmit dispatcher too.

Any gun is a weapon if intended to be. They all make nice paperweights as well.

Finally, I get disgusted every time I hear the term 'assualt' weapon. Assualt is a state of mind, nothing more.

A paintball gun can be a weapon of assualt if you shoot someone in the eye with it.....

In essence my carry gun is a weapon. It's certainly not for hunting or for any sportsman like pursuit.

A paintball gun can be a weapon of assualt if you shoot someone in the eye with it.....

I agree 100% Our intent or actions with an object make it a weapon when directed for use against someone. When it comes to hunting rifles, lets not call them weapons.

I agree 100% Our intent or actions with an object make it a weapon when directed for use against someone. When it comes to hunting rifles, lets not call them weapons.

No issue there. I agree totally.

Owning a couple AK47's it's interesting the sight recognition the media has generated. Everyone 'knows' what an AK looks like and equates it to terriorist like activities, again thanks to the media...

...Had people say...OMG, thats an AK47 assualt weapon, to which I reply, no, it's a rifle, not a weapon and it's for varmits, not insurgents.....:)

The intended use signifies the generic name....

In actuality, they make a handy varmit rifle and the ammunition (factory loads) are dirt cheap. They are fairly accurate out to 100 yards (not much more because of the short barrell and can mount a scope. The short stature and buttstock makes it a nice quick offhand shooter and it stores behind the tractor seat out of the way and out of mind.

Jesus Christ could come down every day at high noon and offer a special blessing to some folks...and they'd be 'nit-pickin' Him because He wasn't 5 minutes earlier or later!!:rolleyes:

Jesus Christ could come down every day at high noon and offer a special blessing to some folks...and they'd be 'nit-pickin' Him because He wasn't 5 minutes earlier or later!!:rolleyes:
Ain't that the truth. One word causes the fudds to go into a tizzy and derail the thread in record time.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.