Why 7mm STW?

Build both the 7 STW and 6.5-284 Norma, you won't regret it. I own both now. This forum got me interested in the STW a little over 2 years ago. I purchased a stock Rem 700 SPS in 7 STW as a fun project. Little did I know how much fun it would become and how friggin' accurate it would be. Other than changing to a HS Precision stock and Wyatts Mag Box, the rifle is stock and it's a tack driver. It's become my favorite rifle. That's big for me to say because it took the place of my Sako 300 WSM, which is very accurate too. The STW is just fun to shoot and it doesn't beat you up in the process. I'm so confidant with it that I don't hesitate taking a 400-500 yard shot on antelope in windy Wyoming.......it's a chip shot for this cartridge and almost too easy.
I bought a 6.5-284 Norma at the end of this summer to be my new project. Like the STW, this cartridge is incredibly accurate. I was getting 0.5 moa groups just doing bullet seating depth tests!! This rifle is also stock. It's a Savage. Light in weight and recoil, and super accurate. I think it's a great mountain rifle and perfect for deer or antelope. The STW is better at reaching out farther and is a fine elk round.
Honestly, you can't go wrong with either one

OK, as I had been out of the shooting/reloading game since 2011, the initial SHOCK of what's not available and how expensive brass is, if you can get it, is over! 7STW: 8RM what I prefer to use in mine, will just be Nosler 7STW brass. A recent new Rem 700 LRH 300RUM: Norma brass. A just rebarreled Savage 110 in 6.5x284 Norma: Nosler brass. It is what it is and just deal with it. I'm in the automotive business: Speed costs. how fast do you want to go...gun)

Sometimes it's the things in life that don't workout the way you wanted, that make you realize the things you truly wanted all along. :cool:

That is so very true. After the deal fell through I set her aside. Then a swap meet came up at my local club. I packed her up with dies and brass and headed down. When I got there I opened the case to check the rifle and carry it in. I stood there looking at it for a minute and muttered aloud, "I really don't want to do this". And then I thought "then don't ". Went back home and told the wife about my ordeal. Man she's awesome. Her response was, "Hun if you don't feel right about it don't do it. Besides unless you can get so much money we can pay off one of the cars why bother?" Why indeed....:)

I live and hunt in Mississippi right next to the river. have hunted since I was 7 and have shot several deer every year since then I'm 60 now. I bought my first gun at 18 a 7mm mag, rcbs press dies 4350 power est. belted magnums LOVE THEM. My first custom rifle was a 25-06 ackley im. Fast accurate and a killer. I put a new barrel on one of my rem 7mm and chambered it to the STW. WOW long range thumper. In the last 10 years or so hogs have infested my land. My purpose is now to damage as many I can.The 7MM STW will dust roll a hog. No if and or buts this gun is hog killing machine. There is very few things that really impress me more than my STW. I Don't know how many years I have left on this earth but i WILL be in the woods. My answer to the question WHY 7MM STW. I'll Just say Build one buy one borrow one, climb in a stand put ear plugs in, screw on a big nasty muzzle brake, tickle a 2&1/2 trigger, we will eat good tonight.

I live and hunt in Mississippi right next to the river. have hunted since I was 7 and have shot several deer every year since then I'm 60 now. I bought my first gun at 18 a 7mm mag, rcbs press dies 4350 power est. belted magnums LOVE THEM. My first custom rifle was a 25-06 ackley im. Fast accurate and a killer. I put a new barrel on one of my rem 7mm and chambered it to the STW. WOW long range thumper. In the last 10 years or so hogs have infested my land. My purpose is now to damage as many I can.The 7MM STW will dust roll a hog. No if and or buts this gun is hog killing machine. There is very few things that really impress me more than my STW. I Don't know how many years I have left on this earth but i WILL be in the woods. My answer to the question WHY 7MM STW. I'll Just say Build one buy one borrow one, climb in a stand put ear plugs in, screw on a big nasty muzzle brake, tickle a 2&1/2 trigger, we will eat good tonight.
yup...:D

By far one of the best posts in this thread.

I was a 7mm RM guy for the firs twenty or so years of my hunting life and killed hundreds of deer and hogs along with piling up a dozen or so NM Pronghorns with it.

When I stepped up to the STW around 1990 my hunting and shooting life was forever changed. The increase in energy and even flatter shooting of the STW over the RM when you compare the results with the same bullets is very real.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.