Why 7mm STW?

You know Layne Simpson? He was the man who created the 7mm STW, and Kenny Jarrett was the first person to ever build a rifle in 7mm STW (for Layne).

No sir I don't know Mr. Simpson though I have read his stuff for years. And all above in your quote is true. He introduced the 7mm STW to the world in Shooting times magazine in 89 and Jarret made the first "7 STW" rifle. Much like the jet engine and the atom bomb several people had the same idea around the same time, the concept was not entirely new. No doubt the success and distribution of the cartridge is owed to Layne Simpson's writing and industry connections. Bottom line is its a great round and we all get to enjoy it and talk about it.

Because I cannot make my 7 RUM shoot with anything. And, I have loaded and tried so many, that the thraot has to be half shot out, by now. If I had an accurate cartridge for my 7 RUM, I would stick with it.

Because I cannot make my 7 RUM shoot with anything. And, I have loaded and tried so many, that the thraot has to be half shot out, by now. If I had an accurate cartridge for my 7 RUM, I would stick with it.

Has anyone got their 7Rum to shoot as well as the 7STW?! I sold the 7RUM I had, about a year after buying it. It was OK, but as not as good as I had wanted.

Now my 7STW is nearing the end of barrel life, for which barrel shopping has started. My dilemma, 7STW brass and what to make it from nearly impossible to come by these days (it must be made of Unobtanium???) and my supply is limited. I have a supply of new .375 H&H brass, but it's some work to form. Nosler brass at that price for 25pcs, I don't think so, and I may have to go that way?!

I still have love for the 7STW, but I'm liking the .308 case sized 6.5's these days.

There's just something about igniting 80+ grains of slow burning powder!!!

I shot a custom 7STW for many years and found it to be exceptionally accurate over quite some distance. Shot many deer and antelope just past the quarter mile marker.

However, after burning out 2 barrels, I decided to step it down a bit and built my 1st custom 7WSM. The WSM drops game just as quickly with a 160 Accubond as my STW did.

Both great cartridges, IMO.

Has anyone got their 7Rum to shoot as well as the 7STW?! I sold the 7RUM I had, about a year after buying it. It was OK, but as not as good as I had wanted.

Now my 7STW is nearing the end of barrel life, for which barrel shopping has started. My dilemma, 7STW brass and what to make it from nearly impossible to come by these days (it must be made of Unobtanium???) and my supply is limited. I have a supply of new .375 H&H brass, but it's some work to form. Nosler brass at that price for 25pcs, I don't think so, and I may have to go that way?!

I still have love for the 7STW, but I'm liking the .308 case sized 6.5's these days.

There's just something about igniting 80+ grains of slow burning powder!!!
STW brass isn't hard to come by and neither is Nosler Factory 7mm STW Ammo.

Bertram Brass is making it now and it's in stores.

I too have been getting a great deal of mileage out of my 6.5's this year but that was mostly because I was experimenting with them.

STW brass isn't hard to come by and neither is Nosler Factory 7mm STW Ammo.

Bertram Brass is making it now and it's in stores.

I too have been getting a great deal of mileage out of my 6.5's this year but that was mostly because I was experimenting with them.

Yep, very easy to come by... Just got 100 new Nosler STW brass in on Monday... And 100 7mm RemMag, too. :cool:

D4DA9B4A-3E36-4E8D-BF25-CC395C939194_zpsklgt4dji.jpg

Good to know then! I'l stop looking at building a 6.5x284 for a maybe...maybe?
Build both the 7 STW and 6.5-284 Norma, you won't regret it. I own both now. This forum got me interested in the STW a little over 2 years ago. I purchased a stock Rem 700 SPS in 7 STW as a fun project. Little did I know how much fun it would become and how friggin' accurate it would be. Other than changing to a HS Precision stock and Wyatts Mag Box, the rifle is stock and it's a tack driver. It's become my favorite rifle. That's big for me to say because it took the place of my Sako 300 WSM, which is very accurate too. The STW is just fun to shoot and it doesn't beat you up in the process. I'm so confidant with it that I don't hesitate taking a 400-500 yard shot on antelope in windy Wyoming.......it's a chip shot for this cartridge and almost too easy.
I bought a 6.5-284 Norma at the end of this summer to be my new project. Like the STW, this cartridge is incredibly accurate. I was getting 0.5 moa groups just doing bullet seating depth tests!! This rifle is also stock. It's a Savage. Light in weight and recoil, and super accurate. I think it's a great mountain rifle and perfect for deer or antelope. The STW is better at reaching out farther and is a fine elk round.
Honestly, you can't go wrong with either one

I shot my antelope this year in Idaho at 650 and it was too easy. It poll-axed it with the 175 ELD-X's. I also shot a 28" muley at 500 yards. The gun is crazy accurate and doesn't punish you. Love the gun. It rivals the 300 RUM with 212 Eld-x'. When I dan the ballistics I was amazed at what it can do at long range.

Build both the 7 STW and 6.5-284 Norma, you won't regret it. I own both now. This forum got me interested in the STW a little over 2 years ago. I purchased a stock Rem 700 SPS in 7 STW as a fun project. Little did I know how much fun it would become and how friggin' accurate it would be. Other than changing to a HS Precision stock and Wyatts Mag Box, the rifle is stock and it's a tack driver. It's become my favorite rifle. That's big for me to say because it took the place of my Sako 300 WSM, which is very accurate too. The STW is just fun to shoot and it doesn't beat you up in the process. I'm so confidant with it that I don't hesitate taking a 400-500 yard shot on antelope in windy Wyoming.......it's a chip shot for this cartridge and almost too easy.
I bought a 6.5-284 Norma at the end of this summer to be my new project. Like the STW, this cartridge is incredibly accurate. I was getting 0.5 moa groups just doing bullet seating depth tests!! This rifle is also stock. It's a Savage. Light in weight and recoil, and super accurate. I think it's a great mountain rifle and perfect for deer or antelope. The STW is better at reaching out farther and is a fine elk round.
Honestly, you can't go wrong with either one
Well I love my 7STW over all my hunt guns, everything goes down like they were zapped by a lightning bolt, but I went ahead and purchased a 300RUM Remmy 700 Stainless Long Range. I had a 300RUM before, and since I still have brass and dies and it was on sale, why not!
I have to do a chamber cast on my 7STW see what's going on inside, cerrosafe ordered. I want to be sure. I'd like a 28" 1:8 barrel for it this time, if it's throat is gone bye bye lightbulb

Because my STW is 17 MOA @ 1000 yds. Its arrives on time everytime with thumping power. Its still supersonic at 1450 yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts