Why 7mm STW?

mgood

Why choose the 7mm STW over other 7mm magnums?

Is it that the WSM/RSAUM and Rem Mag are too small, the RUM is too big, but the STW is just right? Why? And if so, what about the 28 Nosler?

I'm not knocking your choice. I posted here to get input from fans of this cartridge. What defines its niche? Why do you want a long, belted case?

Because it wrings the speed out of 7mm bullets more efficiently than the RUM, has longer barrel life (basically same speed w/ less powder) and they have never failed me on game, in 35 years of use. It is a love affair, based on excellent performance. You would have to own one and shoot it, to understand it's popularity. The belt is no problem. Your examples are long fat cases, so?

Thanks for the reply.

I asked because I have an 8mm STW :D er, I mean an 8mm Rem Mag. (Currently shooting 200 gr AccuBonds at an advertised 3000 fps - don't have a chrono to verify that speed.)
I flip-flop between thinking "Wow, this is the coolest thing ever! I need a 7STW, and if I ever have an opportunity to hunt one of the Big 5, I could get a 416 Rem Mag. All the same case." And on alternate days I think, "Why the heck would I want this rather than a shorter, fatter, beltless cartridge that does essentially the same thing?" There's not a whole lot of talk about the 8mm mags, so I figured I'd come over here and hang out with my close cousins who are using the same case to launch 7mm projectiles.

How big a pain is the belted case when reloading? Some say it's not an issue at all. What are people's thoughts on the better efficiency of a shorter powder column? Is that splitting really fine hairs that have no practical effect on real-world hunting? I know some people claim the shorter, fatter cases won't feed as well as the smooth-cycling long, tapered cases.

I started based on the things I read on here and talking to some of the brothers in the STW forum. I reload for it too. By the way I have 4 of them now selling 2 of them.
It is a love thing. Don't have those others you mentioned but I have thought about it. I just like the options that we have and that we can buy or make brass. U get a little more speed. Same great bullet. Easy to reload. Not much else to worry about.

I got into the 7stw because it shot flatter and hit about as hard as the big 30cal magnums many use to flatten mule deer around here. I've used 30cal a lot too, but I really enjoy what a big 7mm has to offer. I have a 7stw and a 7rum. My brother has a 7rum and is building a 28nos....
This isn't a monogamous relationship with the 7stw; it just happens to be one of the best at getting the intended job done in 7mm without being overly costly in components and barrel life. The brass situation lately is crappy, but you can still form 375 h@h brass for about a dollar each. rem or win needs to get back into the game with this brass.

I agree with the love affair comment mentioned earlier. I have a 7 and 25 STW and love them both. I know several folks with STW's and they all feel the same way. I'll never be without one, in fact I'm having another one built this summer. As to the question about difficulty reloading for them due to the belted case, I have never had any issues.

I came across this forum about a year and a half ago and really liked what I read about the STW. So, basically on a whim, I purchased a Rem 700 SPS in 7 STW. Quickly changed out the stock to a HS Precision and started loading for it. It is now my favorite rifle. Absolute tack driver. Shoots sub moa with multiple bullets and powders and it's a joy to shoot because the recoil isn't a big deal. Ballistically speaking, it's almost a "perfect storm" for the 7mm bullets.
It was first used on a WY antelope hunt last year. Hammered a nice buck at 440 yards with no problem. My outfitter said his gunsmith/gun shop owner brother has used the 7 STW caliber exclusively for years to take game all over North America. So, he was pleasantly surprised when he found out what I was shooting and stated he figured I'd be a pretty good shot and hunter since people who know about and own the STW caliber tend to be more educated and proficient when it comes to hunting rifles.
It's an awesome caliber. And, like everyone else has stated, it's become a love affair for me, too!

I'm building an STW because you can't get good BC bullets in 8mm so I am rebarreling, blueprinting and turning my old 8mm rem mag into a gun I will use because of the bullet selection. I loved my 8mm back in the day but the new powders and new bullets make these over-bore bruins plausible and I get to keep my old 8mm(kind off). My 8mm rem mag would push the 220 Sierra spbt at over 3000fps but the bc was .521 so it was getting its butt kicked out past 500 yards by many of the large 30's and 338's which you can get great bullets for. I am also hoping to minimize some of the thumping I used to take when shooting the old 8mm mag without a brake. Funny story; I took my dad out mule deer hunting when he was in his early 70's and we found a descent 4-point at about 300 yards. My dad always shot his old 30-06 and was usually deadly but his eyesight was failing and we got him a scope. We sighted it in but when he shot at this buck he hit 6 feet to the right three shots in a row I finally convinced him that his scope was off and gave him my 8mm rem mag to shoot. He took one shot and let out an expletive laced outburst among which was why would anyone in their right %#@&^ mind shoot a %$#& gun that kicked like that. He then collected his hat and glasses from off the ground and vowed that he would never shoot that blankety blank gun again in his life. And he never did. We sighted in his scope and went back the next day and the same buck was in the same spot and he shot it for his last regular season deer. He shot a 33" muley on a late special hunt several years later but with his trusted old '06. He drew on that same late hunt several years later and had the opportunity to shoot a buck that may have made the book but 'he said " that it was in too tough a place". I knew he didn't have it in him to kill any more and we let it live. He would go again but never shot another animal. He hunted into his 80's for birds. Good memories

WHY THE 7MM STW?

Exactly. it is going to be the 7mm 300 WBY for me. Balistic twins and brass is easy to find.

Tod
at present you are correct on the brass but your 7x300 roy brass or ammo can be fire formed into 7stw's:D:D:D:D:D....
I prefer to make 7stw brass from 375 h@h brass; hornady is around a buck a hull right now on that stuff...
I'll be tearing down my second 300rum soon; I'll either build a second 300win, a 28 nos, or a 7mmstw. Not 100% sure yet... I need funding for the bbl. before I make up my mind. It will not be a roy of any sort; I am 100% sure of that...

at present you are correct on the brass but your 7x300 roy brass or ammo can be fire formed into 7stw's:D:D:D:D:D....
I prefer to make 7stw brass from 375 h@h brass; hornady is around a buck a hull right now on that stuff...
I'll be tearing down my second 300rum soon; I'll either build a second 300win, a 28 nos, or a 7mmstw. Not 100% sure yet... I need funding for the bbl. before I make up my mind. It will not be a roy of any sort; I am 100% sure of that...

True, but why in the world would you take all the time and effort to FF brass from the 300 wby to the stw when you can simply neck and shoot 300 WBY brass to 7mm-300? No FFing involved. Simply load and shoot.

And, you can leave a little bit of a false shoulder and head space off of that to eliminate the need for the belt. Also, I won a PILE of wood in IBS 1000 comp using a "ROY"!!

They are ballistically identical. I used to have a 300 weatherby and found that I could trade brass back and forth. They are identical other than the radiused shoulder of course. I would do either and they should be very close.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.