Who's a Sniper?

....... I believe there are more snipers per capita in this country than any country in the world.....
BTW, Yep! gun)

Maybe thats because about 20% of the free worlds firearms are here in the US of A...!!!!

Even Japanese generals in WWII didnt want to invade CONUS...becuase there would be a "sniper" behind every blade of grass.

I bet if we were to get invaded(other than the ones from the south) and could form up and hide we could see a whole new set of long range kill records set..... I just hope I can get to my guns in time if it ever does happen.....I'm usually at least 800-1800 MILES from them( trying to figure out how to legally carry a rifle in the semi with me)

Back in the late 60's when I was a young and dumb kid that knew everything about long range shooting I shot my new 300 winchester with fancy 3-9 scope against a military sniper friend with a 308 winchester and 30-06 with peep sites. He waxed me at all ranges to 1000 yards. That is when I grew up and realized I wasn't very smart or very good with a rifle in comparison to our trained professionals. He was a good man and taught me skills that allowed me to begin to shoot well. Later I met Elmer Keith and he told me which caliber to shoot long range at game. Then I began to get better at killing stuff.

I now own well over 100 rifles that I can easily take out a human size target at 800 yards. It takes quite a lot of experience to get to that level. It makes me realize how vulnerable we are to a sniper when from a proper vantage point he can take out any human size target for a mile radius with 100% kill shots. On this forum how many square miles could we control. It wouldn't be smart to attack this country with a rifle infantry. They would probably be outgunned.

I'm just a young ignorant boy that never went to the military. I wanted to, but my father spoke against it, and i had medical restrictions(young childhood asthma). Long story short, my Grandfather was airborne in WWII. My father was Force Recon 1970-74. Growing up begging my father to tell me war stories, he always said to me "I was a surveyor....I built roads"...It wasn't until i got quite a bit older i realized he was a bit more than that. He is the best shot i've ever known....but he wouldn't tell you that. My uncle served in the Army at the same time as my father, and he's since told me the truth about my father's service. He was top in his class 1971 in camp pendleton. And the day before qualifying broke the coarse record there with an M14. My uncle which is a great shot to this day says he hasn't seen a better shot. The real men won't tell you they're a man. To all those who served or are serving I humbly salute you and thank you for your deeds. As far as the original question....I might not be as skilled as most on here, but i could give em hell until my luck ran out!
Nimrod

I think about the Russians when they were invaded by Germany. I would hope that the U.S. would be just as tenacious. Men and women learned how to shoot a rifle to defend their country. There were more snipers in Russia in WWII, than any other country per capita during the invasion. Why? Necessity for survival.

Tank

Nobody on this forum is. Youre prob right. Moslty turkey hunters and bowhunters and atlatl hunters. Used to be a long range hunting forum here but its gone now.
Ya know what, it seems like all you do is complain about this site and yet I never have seen you post anything to help increase the long range stuff that you complain about being missing.

If you are so unhappy with the site I find it strange that you hang around and complain about something when simply leaving would seem to solve what seems to upset you the most. :rolleyes:

I am in no way a sniper, but I hunt in what I call "sniper" style. I hunt flat fields with very little cover. I have to use a slug gun because rifles aren't allowed where I hunt. A deer can be as far as 500 yards away, which is too far for the slug, to 25 yards away. So I lay in hedge rows, weeds, or anything that can offer a bit of cover, on my belly from sun up to sun down. I have a long range rifle that I'm looking to become proficient out 1000+ yards. I do think that the hunting culture in this country would make it very hard for a foreign invading army to ever have complete control. I'm confident that if put in a war type situation in a rural setting I could kill at least two invaders before they kill me. 2 to 1 seems like a good ratio for a civilian.:) I hope this never happens. I thank the real snipers and all the military women and men, past and present, who keep us safe.

Interesting thread, of the members on the site I would say the actucal # of snipers both military and law enforcement is fairly small. There are quite a number of long range riflemen here but while they would have at a time of invasion the nobelest of intentions I believe it would be short lived due to lack of fieldcraft and training / experience in counter military operations. Most people never give thought to counter bombing techniques and large ordnance response to a sniper threat. Of course there is the natural response of a counter sniper being brought to bear against them, someone who has fieldcraft, knows what to look for, experience, and a desire to eliminate a sniper (you) as their highest priority. I like living in a nation and being a member of a site that has people that think, if push came to shove how would I help my fellow americans survive even if at my own cost. It makes me proud to be an american!

Shawn Carlock said:
I like living in a nation and being a member of a site that has people that think, if push came to shove how would I help my fellow americans survive even if at my own cost. It makes me proud to be an american!
+1......

I think if anything like that did come about. Those snipers among us would get together and "assist" those of us that weren't...who would be the next swamp fox?? I think our nation as a nation that loves to shoot could be easily readied if the need arose.
Nimrod

I do recall swearing in, in the Missouri Army National Guard to defend against ALL ENEMIES FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC(corrupt government?) And I will do so if I have to even tho I'm no longer enlisted....

If we ever were invaded Im sure every one of us would become a sniper. A sniper can be anyone hidden that is shooting accurately taking out targets simple as that

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.