Who's a Sniper?

lets all just re-read the question.....WITHOUT the word sniper in it. Then, no ****ing contest. agree with all above, any one who is , or was wouldnt talk about it anyway. Its a respect thing.

Probably the best way to look at this.

It is very difficult to get to and thru sniper schools and they do not go bragging normally.

The internet is filled with wannabes and claimants of all types. Real snipers, Seals, SOF types watch for the wannabes and have compete websites to exposing them. They never go thru BUDS, the SFQC and other selection courses; maybe saw special units, or were assigned as support etc and later claim they are in reality snipers, Seals, Green Berets etc when they are not.

That kind of grates on guys who started something with 116 guys and graduated 18 for example and lost 10 of those to various episodes within about 10 years. Graduation rates for most of these type courses is maybe 50% on a good day.

Friend of mine is retired Seal said one time. "There was only 157 Seals actually assigned to Viet Nam during the entire war, and I have met all 3000 of them". :D

Once upon a time I worked with a seal, people used to ask him stuff all the time. He would just change the subject. All he let on was that there were seals in iraq over a yr before the first war.......and he HATES THE WATER!!

I think the guy started the tread with a "SMILEY FACE" and now you are beating a "dead Horse". Give it a break.

I agree with BountyHunter . Theres just some things better left unsaid . Talk to 15 people that served , 10 were special forces ,14 were shot or wounded w/no scars, only 1 is a real sniper ....... The one who quietly walks away . Good day & God bless this wonderful country !!!!!

snip·er (sn
imacr.gif
prime.gif
p
schwa.gif
r)
n. 1. A skilled military shooter detailed to spot and pick off enemy soldiers from a concealed place.
2. One who shoots at other people from a concealed place.

I guess the only thing insulting might be to suggest you have to be a 1000yd shooter to be a sniper. Notice that I didn't say military sniper.

I agree with BountyHunter . Theres just some things better left unsaid . Talk to 15 people that served , 10 were special forces ,14 were shot or wounded w/no scars, only 1 is a real sniper ....... The one who quietly walks away . Good day & God bless this wonderful country !!!!!

Lol, says the one with sniper as a screen name.

There is a long running pole about what's your longest kill floating around here somewhere........ I bet those numbers would give the original poster the info he is looking for.

Us LRH are not the same as snipers........... we don't get to call in an airstrike when we miss......... LOL

Ok, now that all the negative jack wagons and defenders of men who do not need it have spoken I will get back to the original spirit of the post. If you want to act like a liberal moron, then go ahead. I am a Force Recon Marine (1976) and I am fully aware that being a sniper is a tough thing to become and I also know it is not as glamorous as some of you city turds would like to make it. Most of the time, we were walking around acting like every other grunt in the Corp.
My point was, and you are welcome to take yourself out of the compliment if you so desire, is that there are more, accurate, long range shooters in this country who hide from animals like deer and coyote's than any other country in the world. It would be a nightmare for an invading army. They would never feel comfortable when there was any cover within 1000yds. If you are so shallow and insecure in yourself that it will make you feel better to bash an old marine who was trying to give some civvies's a compliment, then knock yourselves out. As for the rest of you, I hope to meet you in the field of battle if need be and we can open a can of whoop-*** on as many as we can before they take us out.

Gunner gun)

As for the rest of you, I hope to meet you in the field of battle if need be and we can open a can of whoop-*** on as many as we can before they take us out.

Gunner gun)

Sounds good to me. I meant no disrespect. I know the first place I would want to go is to the mountain with my LR rifle. (4/1 FA C Btry Army)

Tank (hence the name)

No offense taken. All the negative comments obviously come from people who love to be negative and make something out of nothing. Probably voted for Obama. They are the kind that made fun of the little crippled kid at school because it makes them feel better about themselves. This is the end of my rant and I will never post anything like this again. Just trying to share a thought and it amazes me that it got over three pages of discussion when all I expected was a few "I'm with you bro's" to come out of it. It would be great to be able to be an American again and feel the camaraderie that we used to feel rather than get in a ****in match over words even when you don't know what your talking about or even care.

Ok, now that all the negative jack wagons and defenders of men who do not need it have spoken I will get back to the original spirit of the post. If you want to act like a liberal moron, then go ahead. I am a Force Recon Marine (1976) and I am fully aware that being a sniper is a tough thing to become and I also know it is not as glamorous as some of you city turds would like to make it. Most of the time, we were walking around acting like every other grunt in the Corp.
My point was, and you are welcome to take yourself out of the compliment if you so desire, is that there are more, accurate, long range shooters in this country who hide from animals like deer and coyote's than any other country in the world. It would be a nightmare for an invading army. They would never feel comfortable when there was any cover within 1000yds. If you are so shallow and insecure in yourself that it will make you feel better to bash an old marine who was trying to give some civvies's a compliment, then knock yourselves out. As for the rest of you, I hope to meet you in the field of battle if need be and we can open a can of whoop-*** on as many as we can before they take us out.

Gunner gun)
I'm with you Gunner .They would crap in their flat hats when their comrads noggin turned into mush for no reason , not a shot heard ,or a person seen & chances are,it would be an ol' country boy that loves his country as well as long range shooting . Im pretty sure they wouldnt hang out in the GREAT COUNTRY OF THESE UNITED STATES FOR TOO **** LONG AFTER THOUSANDS OF THINGS AS SUCH HAPPENED . I SERVED IN BOTH MAJOR CONFLICTS GOING ON NOW ,AS WELL AS COUNTLESS OTHERS(KOSAVO,SERIAVO,BOSNIA,AS WELL AS A FEW OTHERS . SERVED W/THE 7TH CALV & 4TH INF AS 19 DELTA & 4BRAVO . THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE AS WE ARE FOREVER IN YOUR DEBT AND GOD BLESS THIS AWESOME COUNTRY WE HAVE THE PRIVLAGE TO LIVE IN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS AGAIN! 1ST SGT GIBSON UNITED STATES ARMY . HOOAH!!!!!!gun)

Well in today's world, the good ol country boys would be the only ones left. All the people in large cities would die from the nuclear blasts. It's sad what people have invented to kill mass amounts of people at once. Guns in battle? Ok but that nuclear crap is just horrible.

Well in today's world, the good ol country boys would be the only ones left. All the people in large cities would die from the nuclear blasts. It's sad what people have invented to kill mass amounts of people at once. Guns in battle? Ok but that nuclear crap is just horrible.
I TOTALY AGREE . KILL EM THE RIGHT WAY ,NOT THE MASS WAY . gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.