Who drew a tag in New Mexico?

I hunted Unit 52 in 2015 and got a nice 6x6. I used Kiowa Outfitters and we were in a wall tent compound just west of San Antonio mountain. 6 of the 8 in camp tagged out by the time I left on the 4th day. The elk were all over the place on San Antonio mountain. I was mainly on the north and northwest side of that mountain.
I haven't been able to draw a tag since. So, I'm going the private ranch/landowner tag route this year and hunting in Chama.
Good luck!!

I got last cow hunt unit 34 should be successful last one I took here was with a 44 mag lever action this year I'm trying 7mm mag with 154gr sst with 70 grains of r 25 behind it

Resurrecting a month old thread......

I drew second archery in the Valle Vidal. Pretty pumped about getting this particular once in a lifetime tag.

You should have a great time at the Valle Vidal. We've had a lot of moisture in the area this year and last year. The bulls should be good. Good luck
I've only hunted unit 34, but have heard of this unit (I'm in MI). I know this is a hard tag to get. Is it one of the best units in the state? Switchback, do you know if 34 is getting above average moisture this year?

34 has gotten good moisture like the rest of the state. Should be a good year for antler growth. I would put 34 as one of the better units. It's not great for 350+ Bulls although a few get killed every year. It is great for 300 class bulls.

And no elk tag for me this year or the last 5. Did get a deer tag how ever

I'm hearing great things about moisture and horn growth pretty much throughout the state. I'm getting pumped up for my hunt. My hunting partner (brother) got drawn in 45 to guide his mother-in-law at the same time, so I am without my right hand. Exciting times though.

Last edited:
You should have a great time at the Valle Vidal. We've had a lot of moisture in the area this year and last year. The bulls should be good. Good luck

Everything I've heard and seen is saying that this year could be special in that area due to moisture. That combined with a good moon for my hunt has me PUMPED!!!

I drew unit 34 muzzleloader this year . Saw two monsters taken last year, out of that unit. My best friend kill a bull that scored 393 net in that unit 3 years ago, with a bow.

Who else drew....there has to be more??
I drew in 37, second time in 3 years 15 season was B P me and wife were hunting afternoon we walked into Location had a seat I blew my Elk call 1 time a bull answered the call 5 minutes later 11 cow Elk entered a clearing at 200 yds. In front of us and started grazing. 2 minutes later the heard bull walked out of the Cedars. I told the wife to squeak the cow call she had which she did and here he came. 5 minutes later I had my first Elk on the ground. Two first for me a 6x7 Bull with my new BP Express 50 calibure Black Powder. I drew first Rifle seasons Elk and Mule Deer along with Wife drew Mule Deer all three in unit 37
Fewer Elk & Deer than other units but they seem to be larger and in better condition.
The wife had a Cow tag last year in 37 and she had a opportunity to harvest a cow every day I think she was looking for one standing in the bed of our P K before she would shoot it.
I live in unit 36 settings on my patio Aug. 30 thinking about going and getting a light jacket on

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.