Which Turkey Vest?

rolltide

I'm trying to find a better turkey vest and wanted to see what you're using. My current vest has a built in frame so that you have a rest whenever you set down, which is great if you're hunting field edges or other flat areas. If anywhere else, you have to take the vest off and set it up sideways. It's not the worst vest I've seen, but I think there are probably better options out there.

What are you using?

Thanks,

Chris

IMO there are to many variables for the perfect vest. I like a framed vest but as you said they don't always work where you can set up. I would buy a reg vest with a good seat pad and built in back pad and carry one of those small turkey/predator chairs with you. Thats what I do now, too many times I had to set up with out good back support and wish I had the frame vest or vice versa.

I have a Mossy Oak Elite, actually I have two. Both have been great vests, one is the original and the second is the one with 3D leafy cut. The leafy cut is much lighter in weight and has more pockets on the inside. They both have a nice seat cushion and back cushion. I carry a small turkey stool with me and find the system works for me in the mountains of SW Va. I've been looking over new vests myself as my leafy cut is starting to need replaced from wear.

I've looked everywhere trying to find a Super Elite, but can't find one listed.

I'm not sure if it's seasonal or if it has been discontinued.

If you see one, please let me know.

Thanks!

Chris

I use the Cabela's unit good cushion seat and back. The back bag is small and difficult to get decoys out of on the fly. Pockets are good easy to get to.

I've been using a promos vest for 10-11 years now. It's been a great vest. Plenty of pockets and storage for decoys. Having said that, I've switched to the Cherokee Creek inflatable decoys as of late. They just make things easier. Unless you need to set one up in a hurry and it's deflated. To be honest though, I've seen decoys mess up about as many hunts as they've saved. If you've got a bird that's been pressured, he's probably going to play the waiting game when he sees the decoy. The big thin to remember is that we're asking the birds to go against the grain of what's normal. In reality, the hen is supposed to go to the gobbler. We're making them do the opposite. Personally, I've shot more birds without a decoy so that compartment means little to me but it does make a great place to put the bird once it's dead. It's got places to store shells and strikers. The striker pockets are probably the downfall. One would be ahead to place them on a lanyard with quick release snaps as they tend to work themselves out when you sit down and get up a few times. There's a pocket in the front for mouth calls, two pockets for pot calls and separate pocket for a paddle call. If you've not noticed, I really like the vest. Haven't looked for a new once since I bought this one. Good luck in your search.

The original Mossy Oak elite III with the NWTF logo I believe they no longer make. Mossy Oak did just come out a couple weeks ago with a new Super elite that's on the mossy oak website. For what it's worth I have the cabelas Super Tat'r III and really like it.

I'm trying to find a better turkey vest and wanted to see what you're using. My current vest has a built in frame so that you have a rest whenever you set down, which is great if you're hunting field edges or other flat areas. If anywhere else, you have to take the vest off and set it up sideways. It's not the worst vest I've seen, but I think there are probably better options out there.

What are you using?

Thanks,

Chris
I use LL BEAN vest for years recently switched to a Sitka turkey vest.

Been using this for three seasons over sixty days of hunting public ground in two states. Held up to hard use and I'm 6'2" and 260ish pounds. Collapsible kick stand back frame is made out of very durable welded steel tubing.

Unfortunately I can not seem to post a link to the vest for sale at Amazon Its called the Tidewee Turkey vest with seat and kick stand back rest.
Seat is VARY comfortable and I weigh 260lbs.
Available at Amazon.
IMO/IME after 30+ years of turkey hunting and trying out over a half dozen top shelf turkey vests, absolutely NO such thing as THE perfect turkey vest. Having said that to date I find the Tidewee vest with built in back rest the best I've tried to date. I'm a bigger guy and have hip issues so comfort while seated and especially seated for long durations is a major consideration and this vests back support and seat were more than comfortable enough for my longest sit to date of over four hours.

This vest allows me to instantly literally sit and set up absolutely anywhere I need to and has made the difference in filling my tag due to being able to set up where I had to but there were no location suitable trees to lean against and remain rock still on multiple roosted Toms and hens as well as a Tom I shocked gobbled while walking a fire lane when he was under 150 yards from me when he first gobbled and was coming in and there were no suitably located trees anywhere near me and I had to literally drop right then in the brush on the lanes edge and and he popped out of the brush onto the fire lane just out of range and I spent the next 30 minuets working him into range. No way I could have remained that still without the vests built in back rest.
Pretty good all around vest enough external and internal pockets to carry the fallowing:
Two pot calls
One paddle call
One owl hooter call
One MD/SM Tupperware container of four back up mouth calls
One SM TW/container of three primary mouth calls
One 4.75" Buck Sentry FB knife
Two small AAA flashlights
One SM head lamp
Face mask
Gloves
SM pump bottle Bug spray
Fiskers pruning shears
SM folding wood saw
Back up Compass
Three spare 12ga 3.5" shells
Two water bottles
Trail making ribbon
One-Two collapsible foam hen decoys
One-two decoy stakes
Snacks or sandwich.
MIsc items like butt/hand wipes glasses/optics wipes gutting gloves and permit and transport tag

Seen very had use for three seasons and are satisfied enough that I have no intentions on considering or even looking for a new vest.

Last edited:
I went minimalistic this past season and I'm doing it again this year. Kuiu divide 1200 so I can carry a bladder, my bino harness and a cheap seat from Walmart that fits around my waist. Now I hunt the mountain so I'm on the move all day. I don't need much so I don't carry much. My calls and extra shells fit neatly in my bino harness, the rest I can stow in my pack, food or decoy etc.

Sitka. Many more pockets than I need. But thoughtfully arranged for my calls and snacks. I use a 1.5L Aquamira pressurized hydration reservoir. Seat is super comfortable.

More often than not, I turkey hunt with a bow and the vest offers plenty of freedom of movement while making zero noise.