• If 338 EDGE then #2

Votes: 66 66.7%
  • If 338 EDGE then #3

Votes: 9 9.1%

• Total voters

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
So I am considering these 3 profile choices for my next rifle which will be a 7WSM or a 338 EDGE.

stock-poll.jpg

In all reality I like them all, especially the 2nd one for a long distance rig. However, I have #3 on a 7mm Rem Mag and it is most user friendly for hunting. In fact it's even the same color. It's nice, sturdy and carries well for long distances.

Dan

Len,
On the 7 WSM I would go with #1 stock. You don't need the extra width in the forearm.
For the 338 EDGE, I would go with # 2, and add the adj cheek piece.
The 7 WSM would be a nice light carry rig, but I sure liked the 338 EDGE I had.

Len~

It all depends on whether either one of these rifles are going to be "carry guns".
What finished weight are you going for. I know these stocks will weigh close to the same, but some profiles are more user friendly than others.

I like #2 profile . Joel will be making me one similar to that for a 7mm wsm I'm having built. This guns intended purpose is to be shot from a bench or prone only though.

Looks like someone has a trio of Manner stocks to pic from. I would go with #2 and the Edge but I tend to lean more toward more power and a stock with a more vertical grip design.

I'd pick #2 for both applications.

However, I'd go to working on it immediately. I can't seem to live with that slant on the bottom of the butt stock.:rolleyes:

Len
I like #2's for both for allround use. It is closest to my fave , the A3 McMillan.

If these are going to be carry rifles I'd go with the #1 for a narrower forend , which my A3's already have!

Have fun picking
Wes in AZ

do manner stocks come in left hand? or right hand only? or are they ambidextrous but i doubt it as they advertise palm swells?

what's the benefit of the pistol grip style (#2)? I've never shot a rifle with this type of grip - only standard and thumbhole stocks.

Does it help when shooting prone?

what's the benefit of the pistol grip style (#2)? I've never shot a rifle with this type of grip - only standard and thumbhole stocks.

Does it help when shooting prone?

I've found it to be a more relaxed/natural angle for my wrist when shooting prone. I'm better able to isolate my trigger finger action.

It is also more comfy for field carry, just cup the fingers with no wrist break.

FWIW YMMV
Wes in AZ

:)i got a howa, 22-250 for xmas, and it has a laminated thumb hole stock, this thing weightsa ton , i hunt yotes a lot and do a lot of walking , and i am 71yrs old, is there a good light stock that wont take a lot of work , that i can change to . I really like this rifle but its like carrying an anvil all day,need help .

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.