Which powder for 264 WM 140 gr vld 30" barrel

coues24a

Its been a while but I'm glad to be back. I just got my 264 WM 700 CDL back from my gunsmith. He trued the action and changed the 26" barrel to a 30" Kreiger light Palma. I have 2 questions.

1. Which powder do you guys recommend? I'm shooting 140gr Bergers?
2. What is the rule of thumb for powders when it comes to longer barrels? Longer barrels slower powders?

Any advice is appreciated.
Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_2588.JPG
    IMG_2588.JPG
    664.1 KB · Views: 144
Off the top of my head, I'd suggest Retumbo, H-1000, 7828 long or short grain, and RL-26. I shoot Retumbo in my 6.5 Sherman w/only 26" barrel. Check Hogdon's site for data on the first three.

You could also try RL-33. It works wonders in my 27" 257 weatherby (custom chamber) rifle shooting 115 Berger VLDs. This powder beat the previous powder, RL-25, by 90 fps. RL-33 seems to work best with the heavier weight for caliber bullets.

Truth be told I have not tried RL-26.

Presently using H1000 in a 26" .264. Retumbo would perhaps be a good choice for the 30". Haven't tried RL33 yet.

Its been a while but I'm glad to be back. I just got my 264 WM 700 CDL back from my gunsmith. He trued the action and changed the 26" barrel to a 30" Kreiger light Palma. I have 2 questions.

2. What is the rule of thumb for powders when it comes to longer barrels? Longer barrels slower powders?

Thank you.
That's is a sweet rig. If I were you I would investigate R-33, then R-26. If neither of those deliver suitable accuracy with your rifle I would try Norma 217. Longer barrels allow more opportunity to burn powder. We are talking about a difference of a few milli-seconds at best. That being stated, sometimes even longer barrels deliver better accuracy and lower SD with quicker powders. Have fun with that rig, and share your results! It's a very similar to what I have on order to re-barrel a 264 I have.

Thank you.
coues24a,
Please contact us via email at [email protected] . Or call us at 714-441-7202 from 8am to 4:30pm Eastern time MON thru Fri and we can help get you the right data.
Take care,

Thank you to everyone. I used to use Retumbó with good results and still have three pounds. I have some rl33 and H1000 as well. I am very interested in rl26. Thoughts? I will email Berger as well.

RL-26 is poorly suited to the .264 Win Mag. It will pressure out before you get anywhere near a full case. An overbore cartridge, like the .264 WM, is at its best with slow, bulky powders.

Exactly right. IMO, Retumbo is the place to start. RL33 has potential, but my sense is that it would do better with a bit heavier bullets. Supposedly, Berger has a 6.5mm 155 in the works. I believe RL33 would be an ideal choice for that.

Exactly right. IMO, Retumbo is the place to start. RL33 has potential, but my sense is that it would do better with a bit heavier bullets. Supposedly, Berger has a 6.5mm 155 in the works. I believe RL33 would be an ideal choice for that.
I would also look at N570. Works very good in my Sherman. With velocities equal to R26.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.