Which Muzzleloader

elkkillinfull

Which muzzleloader? I have been trying to decide between the Remington Ultimate and the CVA Accura v2 LR. I would like to shoot out to 300 yards. This would be the first muzzleloader that I have owned. Thanks

full, a friend has the RUML and is very happy with it. He says it's very accurate and easy to use. I've never witnessed him shoot it, but his brother affirmed the claims of accuracy. I'm not familiar with the CVA. Good luck

I will be shooting both, plus a third ML (T/C Omega) at my next range session......I own the CVA Accura V2 Nitride and a Thompson Center Omega, and my brother just bought a new RUML.......I'm hoping for good results on one of mine, because they are literally half the weight of my brother's RUML and I don't want to carry that beast in the field......the RUML is stupid heavy (even w/o scope).

I will be shooting both, plus a third ML (T/C Omega) at my next range session......I own the CVA Accura V2 Nitride and a Thompson Center Omega, and my brother just bought a new RUML.......I'm hoping for good results on one of mine, because they are literally half the weight of my brother's RUML and I don't want to carry that beast in the field......the RUML is stupid heavy (even w/o scope).

That RUML is capable of MOA groups at 700yds! A guy in AZ is doing is all the time. Heavy is nice when shooting heavy charges and bullets. Many shooters are getting MOA or better at 300yds.

All depends on intended use.....my primary concerns are weight and 200 yrd accuracy for a backpack elk hunt this fall. I'm confident my CVA and T/C will both shoot 1 moa

IMHO it will take work to get any UML to shoot an MOA especially at distance. I went ahead and completely rebuilt it into a 45 caliber smokeless muzzleloader. Now it shoots great

I have a CVA and I don't think I need any more accuracy than what it delivers ! Good to 300 yards maybe farther ! I would like to have a better scope on mine one that has the different holds in it, a regular muzzleloader scope ! Mine groups at about the minute of angle at 200 yards using 250 grain smackdowns boattailed bullets made by Hornady with only two pellets propelling it ! It may group better and shoot flatter if I went to three pellets or loose powder that I hear is even better, but this is easy and fast and all the farther I intend to shoot !

I have a CVA and I don't think I need any more accuracy than what it delivers ! Good to 300 yards maybe farther ! I would like to have a better scope on mine one that has the different holds in it, a regular muzzleloader scope ! Mine groups at about the minute of angle at 200 yards using 250 grain smackdowns boattailed bullets made by Hornady with only two pellets propelling it ! It may group better and shoot flatter if I went to three pellets or loose powder that I hear is even better, but this is easy and fast and all the farther I intend to shoot !

300yds is really pushing it and that 250gr bullet's energy is dropping off extremely fast, even with max charges. It would require a perfect POI. Beyond 300yds, your rifle with that bullet does not have enough energy and I'd advise you to not be taking those type of hunting shots at game. Shooting just 2 pellets reduces your affective bullet energy even less and shots should not be taken to 300yds.

Way to many hunters think that shots to 200yds and beyond is easily done. That is not the case and MANY variables come in to play, wind being the largest variable. At 200yds a 10mph cross wind will change the POI 11". That's enough to end up with a gut shot animal or even a total miss. At 300yds, that's a 27" wind deflection.
I'd advise anyone, regardless of what rifle they shoot, if they plan on taking 200yd shots at game, practice, practice, practice. Then repeat. Its one thing to set on a bench with a lead sled, or front rest and rear bag, where you have all the time in the world. Its another when anticipation, excitement and hunting conditions present itself.

300yds is really pushing it and that 250gr bullet's energy is dropping off extremely fast, even with max charges. It would require a perfect POI. Beyond 300yds, your rifle with that bullet does not have enough energy and I'd advise you to not be taking those type of hunting shots at game. Shooting just 2 pellets reduces your affective bullet energy even less and shots should not be taken to 300yds.

Way to many hunters think that shots to 200yds and beyond is easily done. That is not the case and MANY variables come in to play, wind being the largest variable. At 200yds a 10mph cross wind will change the POI 11". That's enough to end up with a gut shot animal or even a total miss. At 300yds, that's a 27" wind deflection.
I'd advise anyone, regardless of what rifle they shoot, if they plan on taking 200yd shots at game, practice, practice, practice. Then repeat. Its one thing to set on a bench with a lead sled, or front rest and rear bag, where you have all the time in the world. Its another when anticipation, excitement and hunting conditions present itself.
I have no Idea what the numbers are for the energy, but my target at 200 yards was stapled to a 4 or 5 inch tree and I had under a 2" group at 200 yards and the bullets were splitting the back of that tree open, so That is energy to spare at 200 yards and I already said that would be all the farther I would be shooting, and the loose powders are what I saw guys using that say they have killed deer close to 500 yards with this same gun and basically the same bullet, but with a heavier charge of loose powder ! Someone on here said that the Remington inlines could kill them at 800 yards ! Now that is what I would call shooting too far with a muzzleloader ! I know a fella that swears he has killed several deer between 350 and 400 yards with a T/C Hawkens flintlock rifle with 100 Gr. of 2F and a Hornaday conical bullet, not sure what that bullet weighs but they are lighter than what I shoot in my inline. The 50 cal. Traditions smackdown 250gr. green Spire Point boattailed bullet ahead of two triple seven 50gr. pellets are the most accurate thing that I have ever shot out of a muzzleloader and from what I have seen they have lots of energy at 200 yards, witch is as far as I would probably shoot personally ! I have had the gun two years and killed three deer with it the farthest was 165 yards (ranged) but all of the deer I shot never ran and all shots had enough energy for a complete pass through ! A person has got to use some common sense when shooting any gun ! If you have a lot of wind you are better off not shooting unless you know the speed of the wind and the amount of hold you would need ! The same is true with "any" 1000 yard rifle, you are wasting your time if you don't know how much to hold for the wind for that 1st shot kill ! Calm day I am sure if I had a scope that had a 300 yard mark in it or knew the number of clicks I had to add to be on at 300 yards, this bullet would still have more than enough energy to kill a deer, I could probably be real close on a windy day by holding for it but would not chance a shot that far ! This thing shoots nearly as tight of groups as my Remington 700, 30-06 shoots ! Unbelievably accurate ! I had some wind as I remember the day I sighted it in and it wasn't a factor !

I have no Idea what the numbers are for the energy, but my target at 200 yards was stapled to a 4 or 5 inch tree and I had under a 2" group at 200 yards and the bullets were splitting the back of that tree open, so That is energy to spare at 200 yards and I already said that would be all the farther I would be shooting, and the loose powders are what I saw guys using that say they have killed deer close to 500 yards with this same gun and basically the same bullet, but with a heavier charge of loose powder ! Someone on here said that the Remington inlines could kill them at 800 yards ! Now that is what I would call shooting too far with a muzzleloader ! I know a fella that swears he has killed several deer between 350 and 400 yards with a T/C Hawkens flintlock rifle with 100 Gr. of 2F and a Hornaday conical bullet, not sure what that bullet weighs but they are lighter than what I shoot in my inline. The 50 cal. Traditions smackdown 250gr. green Spire Point boattailed bullet ahead of two triple seven 50gr. pellets are the most accurate thing that I have ever shot out of a muzzleloader and from what I have seen they have lots of energy at 200 yards, witch is as far as I would probably shoot personally ! I have had the gun two years and killed three deer with it the farthest was 165 yards (ranged) but all of the deer I shot never ran and all shots had enough energy for a complete pass through ! A person has got to use some common sense when shooting any gun ! If you have a lot of wind you are better off not shooting unless you know the speed of the wind and the amount of hold you would need ! The same is true with "any" 1000 yard rifle, you are wasting your time if you don't know how much to hold for the wind for that 1st shot kill ! Calm day I am sure if I had a scope that had a 300 yard mark in it or knew the number of clicks I had to add to be on at 300 yards, this bullet would still have more than enough energy to kill a deer, I could probably be real close on a windy day by holding for it but would not chance a shot that far ! This thing shoots nearly as tight of groups as my Remington 700, 30-06 shoots ! Unbelievably accurate ! I had some wind as I remember the day I sighted it in and it wasn't a factor !

I shoot long range. I understand shooting long range. I use wind meters and use ballistics programs to provide me information required, including bullet energy at any given range. At times I shoot 2,000 rounds a year, strictly muzzleloader and long range. I just finished up another 5#'s of propellant that lasted 2 1/2 months.
Now I'm going to give you my opinion about the fella that is killing deer at 350 and 400yds with a flint...…. but you say a lighter bullet than even what you're shooting. That fella is pulling your leg, or he has no concept of range. Now if you would have stated that he was shooting a 450gr, a 500gr, or even heavier bullet, that's doable by someone well versed in long range shooting. However with a bullet lighter than 250grs, that's more tale than reality.
Now for the Remington Ultimate and 800yd kills. The Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader (RUM), was modeled after the rifle I shoot, the actual Ultimate Muzzleloader Inc., BP Xpress. The RUM is its little brother.
The RUM by itself is not an 800yd hunting rifle and certainly not with the supplied/recommended bullets. Anyone harvesting an animal at 800yds with a stock Remington Ultimate **** well better buy a lottery ticket. Even with the highest ballistic coefficient bullets at over $2 each and shooting maximum charges of substitute propellant at 2,400fps, although it is possible, there are extremely few hunters capable of accurate hunting shots at 800yds. Now..... if the rifle was converted to a .45cal and with a smokeless RATED barrel, using smokeless propellant, or extreme charges of BH209 with high BC bullets, its possible but only by the most seasoned shooters. ANYONE who thinks shooting 800yds is easy with a muzzleloader, is either a VERY well seasoned target shooter, or nuts. Even a 3mph will deflect the best bullet over 30".
I'm not attempting to say that you don't have an accurate rifle. However your rifle has its limits. I suggest you do more research on long range muzzleloader shooting, download and learn to use one of the free ballistic software programs.
Good luck.

I shoot long range. I understand shooting long range. I use wind meters and use ballistics programs to provide me information required, including bullet energy at any given range. At times I shoot 2,000 rounds a year, strictly muzzleloader and long range. I just finished up another 5#'s of propellant that lasted 2 1/2 months.
Now I'm going to give you my opinion about the fella that is killing deer at 350 and 400yds with a flint...…. but you say a lighter bullet than even what you're shooting. That fella is pulling your leg, or he has no concept of range. Now if you would have stated that he was shooting a 450gr, a 500gr, or even heavier bullet, that's doable by someone well versed in long range shooting. However with a bullet lighter than 250grs, that's more tale than reality.
Now for the Remington Ultimate and 800yd kills. The Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader (RUM), was modeled after the rifle I shoot, the actual Ultimate Muzzleloader Inc., BP Xpress. The RUM is its little brother.
The RUM by itself is not an 800yd hunting rifle and certainly not with the supplied/recommended bullets. Anyone harvesting an animal at 800yds with a stock Remington Ultimate **** well better buy a lottery ticket. Even with the highest ballistic coefficient bullets at over $2 each and shooting maximum charges of substitute propellant at 2,400fps, although it is possible, there are extremely few hunters capable of accurate hunting shots at 800yds. Now..... if the rifle was converted to a .45cal and with a smokeless RATED barrel, using smokeless propellant, or extreme charges of BH209 with high BC bullets, its possible but only by the most seasoned shooters. ANYONE who thinks shooting 800yds is easy with a muzzleloader, is either a VERY well seasoned target shooter, or nuts. Even a 3mph will deflect the best bullet over 30".
I'm not attempting to say that you don't have an accurate rifle. However your rifle has its limits. I suggest you do more research on long range muzzleloader shooting, download and learn to use one of the free ballistic software programs.
Good luck.
The BH209 is the powder that I saw the guys using to shoot the longer ranges but again, you must not understand what I am saying ! I have NO INTENTIONS of shooting long range with a muzzle loader, when I said my type of gun was good to 300 yards that is from what I have read about others shooting this gun with the BH209 and I think some were using three pellets of a number of types. I will only shoot out to 200 yards that is the max that I can quickly shoot with the scope that I have, I have 100, 150, and 200 yard marks in my scope that I can use once I know the yardage the animal is at ! And as I said it has all kinds of energy at 200 yard and is also very accurate at that range ! That is the farthest that I have shot it ! But judging by the way it splintered the back of that tree, it would definitely kill a deer at 300 yards even with the load I use ! More power to you and others that want to shoot long range with a muzzleloader, as for me my long range shooting will be with my 308 Norma magnum ONLY ! I didn't put my results on here to get an argument started, I put them on here for someone who was looking for them, if they found something better GOOD, as for me I am more than satisfied with this combination and its accuracy, and the way it flattens deer, really nothing to improve on for my hunting situation! I would like to recover one of these bullets sometime to see how or if they expand at all, perhaps I will have to hit the shoulder of a deer to recover a bullet !

......... I didn't put my results on here to get an argument started, I put them on here for someone who was looking for them...…..

I don't believe its an argument, rather a discussion, but second or third party information isn't gospel and those that are looking for information or reading this post need to understand that there's a lot to consider when shooting longer ranges.

I understand that you feel your current load is good to 300yds. However, it has below what many may consider acceptable energy at that range. Then one has to take into consideration if the bullet will even perform properly (designed) at the reduced velocity and energy at that range.

Here's a possible example of your current setup. A wind of 10mph was used to calculate the drift.

250gr-w-2-pellets.jpg

Yes, you could increase the bullets energy at 300yds, if you went to the maximum charge as designated in your rifles owner's manual. You could also increase the bullet energy if you changed to a higher BC bullet.

Its easier to discuss, provide possible examples and learn. Sorry if you feel I'm calling your baby ugly. I've been there myself. However, we never know who may be reading the posts on forums. There are things we shouldn't just make a guess at. No mater how much anyone knows, there's always more to learn.

Which muzzleloader did you find shoots best? I'm looking to upgrade from my cab optima and achieve a gun that will shoot 250-300 yards. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts