Which Factory 22

K-HILL

I'am in the market for a new 22 lr . Not looking for a custom . Question is what has everyone had success with as far as factory guns as being accurate . Price range of 400-500.
Thanks

Last edited:
morning, magnum or Long Rifle. I have both which r Rugers

the magnum is a Ruger 77/22 bolt gun. totally accurate. Remington green tip ammo

put a 5 star redfield 4x12 for optics. warne steel rings.

the long rifle is a semi auto. the weapon has got a bull barrel. very

well made. I put a bushnell 3200 10X. warne steel match steel rings.

Winchester 22 hp ammo. there r better. weatherby, anschlutz sp. Winchester,

Remington. check the prices on gunbroker for cost analyst sp.

I have two Savages, a TR and a BVSS. Both, 22LR. They both will shoot five shots into s half inch with Fed, Wolf, or Eley match ammo. They are superb!!!! Shown are a couple of groups shot with the BVSS at 200 yards using Bulk 500rd, Remington Golden 36gr HP ammo.

Attachments

• IMG_0447.jpg
    IMG_0447.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 171
My favorite 22 that I use for Squirrel hunting is a Marlin model XT 22 at 50 yards it will shoot CCI subsonic lead HP bullets in the same hole. And new it cost under $200.00

Get good glass. That is the most important.
Next use quality ammo. SK, Wolf, Eley or Lapua. CCI Standard Velocity is right in there now as well and down to $4.50ish a box.

There is a lot good about the Savage Mark II
There is a lot good about the Ruger American, just get a Boyds "Pro-Varmint" stock.
The CZ 455 is good. The one shooter I know with one says is finicky on hold.
The Browning T-Bolt is good. Dave (a buddy) can spend all day dinging an IPSC silhouette at 375 yards just giggling away.

I have divested of all 10/22, just because. I can get them to shoot as well as anything.

My current "target" 22LR is a Ruger American with the barrel shortened to 20", in a Boyds "Pro-Varmint" walnut stock, topped with 25MOA rail and Burris Signature Zee rings with an additional 20MOA loaded in the spacers. On top of that is a Sightron SIII 8-32x56.

FWIW: The Ruger American Rimfire does not "need" to be shortened. It does need about 500 rounds of non-jacketed/non-copper plated ammo run through it before it will come good.

I dial to 275 yards and shoot a 3"x12" "little man popper or dial to 400 yards and shoot a "head" sized silhouette. Wind and "hold' are my only enemies. Makes for great practice.

One of my favorite 22's is a Winchester Wildcat made by Toz in Russia. They are now discontinued. I bought mine used already threaded for a suppressor with three magazines for $150.00. Nice wood and a fair trigger and with subsonic ammo it gives my Savage a run for the money. I looked at some other Toz rifles on the internet and I would buy another if I came across one. If you find one be sure it has a magazine, they are hard to come by.

I would go for a CZ any day just to hard to beat for the cost. They might be just outside your price range not sure on US prices but spend the extra and never regret it.

I know this is an old thread but I have a ruger 10/22 target that I got for $400 and holy crap it is a tack driver. 10 round groups at 50 yards all covered up by a dime. It will shoot any and all ammo into a dime at 50 yards. Best purchase ever.

One of my favorite 22's is a Winchester Wildcat made by Toz in Russia. They are now discontinued. I bought mine used already threaded for a suppressor with three magazines for $150.00. Nice wood and a fair trigger and with subsonic ammo it gives my Savage a run for the money. I looked at some other Toz rifles on the internet and I would buy another if I came across one. If you find one be sure it has a magazine, they are hard to come by.

I won a Wildcat a few years ago at a banquet and it is a sweet little gun. I haven't played around with it too much or put optics on it, but it is pretty accurate open sights. I may have to give it a little more attention after reading your review...

The Wildcat is my garden gun. The Savage rides with us on the Polaris for Jackrabbit control at the ranch. I have a Hawke Eclipse scope on the Savage and a Tasco scope I believe came from WalMart on the Wildcat. It took some work to restock the Savage with a Boyd's stock. They don't leave much wood in the trigger guard area and I made the plexiglass pieces to fill in gaps between the receiver and the stock. I did a rattle can paint job on it and bought the bottom metal from DIP, they have some goodies for rim fire projects.

Attachments

• Savage Mark II FVSR 004.jpg
    Savage Mark II FVSR 004.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 158
  • Savage Mark II FVSR 005.jpg
    Savage Mark II FVSR 005.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 149
  • Savage Mark II FVSR 007.jpg
    Savage Mark II FVSR 007.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 165
  • Savage Mark II FVSR 011.jpg
    Savage Mark II FVSR 011.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 155
  • Savage Mark II FVSR 010.jpg
    Savage Mark II FVSR 010.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 158
  • 100_1042.jpg
    100_1042.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 155
Just a quick update picked up a CZ 455 with bull barrel .
Installed a Nikon prostaff target EFR for glass
Not an expensive rig but shot dime size group at 50 yrds with a part box of cheap ammo sighting it in .
Very happy with this combo !!!

CCI Standard Velocity is right in there now as well and down to $4.50ish a box.

Try some of this in your new rifle. A friend and I shot some thru my Buckmark rifle and his Henry lever action. It grouped just as good or better then the Wolf extra Match and the Norma ammo he had. All three loads shot about the same only the CCI was $3 or $4 bucks cheaper for 50 rounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts