Where to go next?

Next step?

• Load several different charge groups, pick best at 100/200 verify at 200/300 yards and call it good

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • OCW at 100 Yards

• OCW at 200 Yards

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Ladder at 300 Yards

• other

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you have a load shooting one ragged hole it's time to stop experimenting and start loading and shooting.

didnt mean to confuse, but this is not a load shooting one ragged hole. What I did was loaded 7 bullets, each one was a different charge weight to determine my rifles max load. At 100 yards these seven bullets had no horizontal difference, but had just a touch of vertical. The seven shots made a vertical half inch long line. This is making me think that had I loaded 3-5 shots of each load...at 100 yards I would not see a difference in group size...almost all making 1 ragged hole but maybe I would see difference in point of impact. I was going to complete an OCW test next until this happened. Again this is all speculation based off my results from testing for my rifle's max load.

Last edited:
I voted other, from the sound of things, unless I misunderstand, your rifle fired a 7 shot .5 MOA group with 7 different charge weights. If this is the case, pick the max charge and go shoot a few groups. Don't drive yourself nuts trying to find something that may not be lost.

Typically when I'm loading rifle rounds .30-30 size cases and larger I load the first set of test loads in 2.0 grain increments up to the maximum listed charge. Depending on how many components I have I load either 3 or 5 rounds at each charge level. I shoot these groups at 100 yards and work off the best one, watching for pressure signs and velocity variations along the way.

I am something of a tightwad myself, (no offense intended) and I hate to waste components but sometimes you just have to suck it up. Besides, it isn't really wasting, you are getting some practice in too.

I am reminded of a fellow on another forum, his signature line says "At the level we play at nothing is cheap"

Sounds like you have a good rifle, go enjoy it!

I voted other, from the sound of things, unless I misunderstand, your rifle fired a 7 shot .5 MOA group with 7 different charge weights. If this is the case, pick the max charge and go shoot a few groups. Don't drive yourself nuts trying to find something that may not be lost.

Typically when I'm loading rifle rounds .30-30 size cases and larger I load the first set of test loads in 2.0 grain increments up to the maximum listed charge. Depending on how many components I have I load either 3 or 5 rounds at each charge level. I shoot these groups at 100 yards and work off the best one, watching for pressure signs and velocity variations along the way.

I am something of a tightwad myself, (no offense intended) and I hate to waste components but sometimes you just have to suck it up. Besides, it isn't really wasting, you are getting some practice in too.

I am reminded of a fellow on another forum, his signature line says "At the level we play at nothing is cheap"

Sounds like you have a good rifle, go enjoy it!

What you stated is exactly what I was thinking. I dont mind spending money/time on working up a load...my last rifle I must have shot 150 total rounds trying to find a load it liked, that was a factory remington 700. This savage though has a new criterion barrel which seems to be shooting tac drivers. I just didnt want to "waste" money/components running an OCW/ladder tests on such a good shooting rifle when im simply trying to identify a load for 500 yards on deer, but at the same time, I do like experimenting and trying to find my rifle's best load. I think I will do what you said...load like 10 or so rounds at max load and see how she shoots out to 300 yards. If it is sub MOA maybe I will just call it good for now. Thanks for your input.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.