Where is everybody going?

BigGrizz

I've been stung by the hunting bug, and I need as much elk hunting as I can get in my life right now.

So, where is everybody headed?

Personally, I'm not going too far away. I'll be hunting the Snowy Range and Sierra Madres in souther Wyoming. I'll be hitting them every weekend for sure.

Didn't draw a tag here, but going to help a friend's young daughter on her hunt in November.

Did not draw a tag this year. But will be going out with my brother who did draw a tag for the breaks @ Fort peck.

Did not draw a tag this year. But will be going out with my brother who did draw a tag for the breaks @ Fort peck.

Archery or rifle? I can only imagine how sweet the rifle tag is.

I drew an archery hunt there in 2011. We saw a TON of elk, but they were so pressured and smart. I learned do NOT use a call, the only elk noises in the Breaks are made by hunters. WE had several close stalks, but ironically I scored a 6X6 by using hunting pressure to our advantage. We knew where other hunters were going to walk to exit in the evening and correctly predicted where the elk would funnel to escape them. One of the most memorable shots of my life.

I have a rifle tag in the Bob Marshall. I took a bull there in 2008, then the wolves moved in, and the next two years I ate my elk tags (and even the muleys more or less disappeared). I'm going this year for the experience before I get too old to backpack into areas nobody else goes in without horses and give me weird looks. But I hope things have improved. My buddy has never been and is really keyed up for the hunt.

Finally decided to burn my points and go on a limited hunt in Wy this year. Drew unit 61 and will be headed into the wilderness. I hope to avoid the griz and maybe find a big one
this fall. This will be guided.

Finally decided to burn my points and go on a limited hunt in Wy this year. Drew unit 61 and will be headed into the wilderness. I hope to avoid the griz and maybe find a big one
this fall. This will be guided.

If it's a guided hunt you should be successful. That wilderness area can produce for a lot of guys if they commit to going in there. I've hunted the south side of that range, and actually prefer it over the areas to the north. Have good time, though, and good luck.

Archery or rifle? I can only imagine how sweet the rifle tag is.

I drew an archery hunt there in 2011. We saw a TON of elk, but they were so pressured and smart. I learned do NOT use a call, the only elk noises in the Breaks are made by hunters. WE had several close stalks, but ironically I scored a 6X6 by using hunting pressure to our advantage. We knew where other hunters were going to walk to exit in the evening and correctly predicted where the elk would funnel to escape them. One of the most memorable shots of my life.

I have a rifle tag in the Bob Marshall. I took a bull there in 2008, then the wolves moved in, and the next two years I ate my elk tags (and even the muleys more or less disappeared). I'm going this year for the experience before I get too old to backpack into areas nobody else goes in without horses and give me weird looks. But I hope things have improved. My buddy has never been and is really keyed up for the hunt.
Archery. Should be fun. Its hard to get a rifle tag for a bull. I have been trying for the last ten years and have not got one yet. I have gotten three Cow tags thou over that time frame. We go camping in the spot where he got a tag and the last time we were there camping during Archery we saw a nice bull not far from camp. Its one thing to find them. It another to get one.

Congrats on getting one! I hear you there for sure. No calls seems to work best.

Haven't hunted the Snowy Range in 15 years. Drew a either sex tag and scored a cow elk.
Haven't had a chance to apply since. Last year I went to Co. with the rest of the crowd and scored a decent 5x5 the last morning of 2nd Season.

I got lucky and drew a Wyoming 64 type 2 Late season any elk. The season starts November 1st and if the snow comes it should be great. Last time I had this tag I took a 6 point bull at 750 yards sitting and using shooting sticks.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.