What Upper Limit of Power Do you Prefer On Your Rifle Scope?

What Upper Limit of Power Do You Prefer On Your Variable Power Rifle Scope?

Votes: 182 8.6%
  • 11-16

Votes: 698 32.9%
  • 17-24

Votes: 922 43.5%
  • Over 24

Votes: 319 15.0%

• Total voters
I said 24+, as I prefer scopes that reach to and above 25X. I do prefer a variable, as I can then dial down the magnification to accomodate mirrage and other atmospheric variables.

Were I forced to a fixed magnification, it would be in the 16-22X range.

JefFVN

I voted and very rarely use a variable power scope.I use a 12X burris signature even on running coyotes .

It all kind of depends on the size of the game, how fast the game is expected to move (considering the shooter is good at bagging fast-moving targets), the ultimate range, mirage concerns, etc.

I require no more than 14X at the top end for closer very small targets such as ground squirrels with a .22 rimfire, although I have used an old Tasco Custom Shop 8 x 40 scope on my .222 and .22 rifles. But....the 8 x 40 on the bench rest .222 makes the rifle weigh a ton.....but no problem because it is used as a BR rifle only, whereas I want the rimfires to be "carryable" as well as being used off the bench.

It just depends on a lot of things. I just ordered an inexpensive Simmons 6 x 18 Pro Hunter with a side-focus to try it out for rimfire shooting, where the ranges are all over the map for ground squirrels, and I found that I was constantly twisting the adjustable objectives on the end of my existing scopes. The Tasco has a huge side-focus knob that makes it easy to adjust. I found that I rarely use the 40X power, but at the time I purchased this monster, there were no other scopes available in the price range that had the side-focus feature. The scope has about a 60mm objective lens with a 30mm tube. The biggest disadvantage is the size and weight of the scope.

For long-range shooting, I found little difference between 20X and 24X in the past. I like to use the high power for sight-in because I am too lazy to drag out the spotting scope.

For wild pigs and coyotes I use a 1.5 x 5 Leupold Vari-X III since I have found that these animals often are encountered at close range and are large enough to not really require anything more powerful. Also, the scope is very light when mounted on my .270 Remington Mountain Rifle, and back problems tend to limit any future carry-rifle scope choices to ones that are as light as possible.

The industry trend seems to be towards more and more magnification with ever larger objectives and increasing weight. For an all around scope, one that can be taken farther afield than between the car trunk and the range, I think it is important to put a limit on the size/weight and to have a minimum magnification in the 1-3 range.

My ideal scope would be a 1-20x40mm with illumination, mil/mil turret/reticle, parallax adjusted via the objective, and a weight of no more than 20 ounces. Since that scope is not yet available, I'll stick with my Nightforce 2.5-10x32 which pretty much meets those goals with the exception of the magnification range and objective size.

PS. March has a scope that is pretty darn near what I described above...and its almost $3k...doh: http://www.deon.co.jp/march/25X-25X42_tactical.html

Tough one---10 power for big game and 42 for 1k BR Competition but seldom get to use the full 42 because of mirage conditions.

Anything from 12 to 16 works great for me for pretty much all around use.

Enough power for long shots, and I've never had a problem "finding" the target with these higher power ranges. If it's so close that I can't find it, then it's close enough to just sight down the barrel. Alot of people say they can't find their targets with high power scopes, but I've been using nothing but 12X or higher for nearly 20 years and have never had this problem; even on the close stuff..............proper scope mounting height and cheek placement plays a large part here I'm sure.

On another note, keeping the power under 16 usually doesn't cause problems with heat waves, mirage or focus. Alot of the times I am my own "spotter", keeping the power under 16 also allows me to "see" my hits or misses during recoil too due to the larger field of view. Personally, I usually leave my 4-14's and 4-16's ect. on the highest power and use that for nearly everything.

I do enjoy 20X or higher for load testing and trophy judging however.

Last edited:
Funny how things evolve. When I was younger,a 3-9X was a big scope. Most of my whitetail rifles wore 4X or 6X fixed power scopes. I didn't feel the least bit compromised. Then I graduated to 10X and 12X glass on my woodchuck rifles and thought I was "Big Time". And so it went. I progressed and became a magnification junkie. Or so I thought. A friend of mine let me shoot a relay with his 6PPC complete with a 36X Weaver. That was it. From that point on the more the better! I took the wheel of my own PPC,and it wore a 36X Sightron. After a season of 100 and 200 yd score shooting, my deer rig with the 4X-12X Leupold on it was very hard to get used to. Now the 4X-12X is my minimum standard required glass. Any of my rifles that are primarily open country rigs wear no less than 6X-18X scopes. I'm hooked. I can still appreciate the old days and my little fixed power Weavers and Leupolds. I am thinking of putting together a deer rifle on a .308 that will wear a 6X Leupold. Just for old time sake.

25 Otter, welcome glad to have you here. Lots of good folks and lots of good info. Enjoy.

Mn deer hunting I use a 2.5x8 leupold
Missouri deer hunting - 4.5x14 zeis
My elk gun wears a 2.5x10 nightforce
Prarie dogs, coyotes... - 6x18 + 6.5x20 leupold - most often we dont go above 16x when shooting sod poodles because of mirage.
22's 3x9 leupold

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.