What twist for 300 PRC?

MTbackwoods

LRH Sponsor
I'm planning on doing a rebarrel soon to 300 PRC. I'm planning to build around the 199gr Hammer Hunter bullet but will likely also shoot 215 Bergers and what not. My question is this; how much does twist rate effect barrel erosion? Would I see a notable difference in going with a 1:8.5" over a 1:8"? I don't want to do a 1:9" because that is too close to the minimum threshold and I want to make sure there will be plenty of stability. I know barrels are a consumable but I would like to get as much life as possible. Thanks in advance

The 8.5 twist should be plenty at Montana altitude and that 199 HH is close to the same length as the 215

No idea about twist and barrel erosion.

IMO-people get too wound up about barrel wear. Unless its a competition gun where you're running hot with long shot strings it's not an issue. If you are a competition shooter, the barrel is an expendable item.

I'm running a 10 twist in my 30 nosler which is a ballistic twin. I've ran from 200 grain accubonds to the 230 nosler out to 600 yards without issue holding just under .5 moa at 600.

My hunting load is running the 230 at 2950 for best accuracy. Max velocity was 3040 due to capacity with H1k. A hotter powder would get me to that next node but I love H1k and 2950 more than meets my goals.

I shot a red deer hind this weekend at 610 so I can't complain.

Now please excuse me as I'm about to run an arrow through a WT doe...🤫

Theoretically, a faster twist rate can affect barrel erosion. Your question appears simple, but the answer is very complex with multiple variables; such as: surface area interaction via the length of the bullet that comes into contact with the bore's lands, number of groves, barrel length, barrel composition, bullet composition, powder (absolutely), etc. The bullet manufacturers have their recommended twist rates, and those are good guidelines
IMO, however, the effect of a faster twist is minimal. I believe you would not see a "notable difference" between a 1:8" and 1:8.5" twist. If you want some more peace of mind, check out the many barrel companies will offer gain twist rifling. I have a 7mm Bartlein barrel (hunting rifle) that I ordered with a gain twist of 1:9.4" to 1:8.7". Pre-season hunting season sighting in is sub .5MOA.

Last edited:
Twist it for whatever the hammer needs. The berger will be fine. If you're totally comfortable the hammer doesn't need an 8 I would do an 8.5

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts