What to buy

houston

After 30 years of archery, I'm being forced to hunt with a crossbow this year if I'm to bowhunt. Shoulder surgery has taken its toll. I'm a serious bowhunter from Iowa and stand sit up to 40+ am/pm sits a year, With price not a deal breaker what would you buy and why. I'm leaning towards a recurve not compound. That's only because I've read they are more dependable after a couple hundred shots. Thanks in advance,jeff~

My take is dependability is in the string in as much as the mechanicals of all compounds are pretty well thought out and designed and restringing a compound isn't all that expensive or time consuming.

I bought an x bow to increase my season, nothing more and I wanted a proven design so I bought a 10 point compound with the buit into the stock cocking device. My only issue is decocking, you hyave to either use a bolt or a dummy bolt.

It's very accurate and quick (960 fps), able to stack bolts on top of each other if fired at the same bullseye and it's made in Ohio (USA), always a big plus for me.

960 fps?? I will assume that is catastrophic typo and they are not bolts. The one thing I will agree with is that you can't go wrong with a Ten Point! I have the Vapor which is rated at 360fps. One major diff between the faster recurve live the Excaliber Matrix and a high end compound like the TP is sound. The recurve is much louder and wider.

I also probably should have said that Ten Point is in the same industrial park as the infamous 'Eden Pure' is. The heater that claims 'whole house' comfort on 1500 watts...... just say'in.

960 fps?? I will assume that is catastrophic typo and they are not bolts. The one thing I will agree with is that you can't go wrong with a Ten Point! I have the Vapor which is rated at 360fps. One major diff between the faster recurve live the Excaliber Matrix and a high end compound like the TP is sound. The recurve is much louder and wider.
What he said about the Excalibur. Mine is deadly accurate. Guy at the archery shop said not to shoot at the same target. Wished that I would have listened.. They(Excalibur) are loud though. There are different things you can do to silence them. One string to go wrong versus string and cables with a compound. Murphys law applies to me always. I'll stay with my Excalibur, but there is nothing wrong wiith the others either. Good Luck on your choice...

I was forced by shoulder problems to switch to a x bow for a few years. After a long search I ended with the Horton vision reverse limb. Hands down reverse limb is the way to go. That being said Horton is gone. tenpoint now owns they machines and rights to offer the reverse limb x bow. Word is they will have it out this fall. I just sold mine because Horton is gone. I did have well over 1000 shots out of it no problem. If you can't wait till fall to see if it happens. Either check out the barrnet reverse limb. Or the scraped you can google search them they don't look the best, but are they perform awesome.

I too was forced to go to a Xbow because of shoulder problems. I went with a Excalibur for a couple of years and if your not going to use a mechanical crank the Excalibur can be hard on the draw, even with the rope pulley. I gave the Excalibur to my son and bought a Wicked Ridge Warrior HL its not the fastest about 285 fps. but out to 40yards it will get the job done. Very accurate, easy to draw with the rope pulley,and it does not cost a lot. Bought mine at Gander Mt.

What to buy?? If working on your bow is paramount you will find that a recurve will be easier....Most recurves have higher draw weights to achieve high speed than most compounds as well....BUT with the good cocking aids available makes this somewhat easier.....Recurves are also louder than most compounds but NO crossbow will be as quiet as a vertical bow.....

...Don't get caught up in the speed game....Any bow that will shoot a 400-430 gr arrow at or near 300-325 fps will get the job done at any reasonable hunting distance......There's some great crossbows being made today that fit this....I would find a dealer than has different brands and shoot as many as you can.....Buy what feels the best to you....I'm partial to Tenpoint bows, they have some GREAT shooting bows and their customer service is second to none....Good luck and welcome to the crossbow ranks....

Buy a crossbow that fits you and your wallet, you can spend well over $2000 for a crossbow these days. I bought a Ten point Stealth with Acudraw after having 3 back surgeries. Their customer service is hard to beat.:)

If you still have not decided on which bow, let me chime in. I began hunting with a crossbow in 98, and have used them extensively since...here and in Africa. I first bought a fairly cheap Horton (now oob) and was very happy and successful with it.

My biggest complaint with most xbows is the trigger. TenPoint has the best, and Excalibur the worst IMO. Despite that, and the terrific noise, Excalibur is the most accurate and simple bow for the field.......by far. The big two Matrix line of Excaliburs require a little upkeep........as much as a compound due to the ferrocious draw weight. Compounds can be very narrow when cocked, recurves very wide.......think about it for stand hunting. Barnett Ghost is a great value, and while QC has been a Barnett problem over the years, the Barnett Vengeance is an awesome bow and a great value.

About the only place to look at lots of bows is Sportsman's Guide...they have quite a selection.

Lastly, a carbon riser adds lots to cost, delivers little to performance. My advice....a non current Tenpoint model at under 1G.........FWB

....or a not Premium 10 point, aka: Wicked Ridge I sure like mine. The release is a bit noisy, I can live quite easily wit that. I'm not to fond of the supplied proprietary scope, I'm used to better and will probably refit a Leupold at some point.

I happened to get m mine on a store closeout/going out of business at 30 off list. Bought the lighted nocks, the turkey broadheads, the big game broadheads and a 12 pack of Easton bolts at the same time. Mine came with a soft case and the dampening fingers already installed.

I'm old (65) and have no issue with cocking it with the rope cockers, I could probably cock it with the bowstring alone and leather gloves on.

I like the 10 Point/Wicked Ridge forestock finger protection. I saw a guy take the last inch of his thumb clean off with an Excalibur. It hurt just looking at it.... **** things are wicked amputaters.

For close stand shooting, you can't beat an Excalibur because the limbs are narrow but I can adjust my position (in my stands) where the limbs have enough clearance they don't contact anything on release, something to keep in mind, because those pulleys are tender (and costly).

If you want a carbon fiber stocck and all the goodies, lay down the bucks on a 10 Point, but if you can live with a bit less (but still have 10 point quality and after the sale service), buy a Wicked Ridge.

I am curious about why they're not bolts? I have always know the projectile of a crossbow being called a bolt. If they no longer are, what are they called and why?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.