What qualifies for LR with a .223?

Idgunner

I've tweaked my lowly Savage Model 10 .223 until it is a tack driver. It regularly killed rock chucks this spring easily out to 500 yards with 75 gr A-Max handloads. So, what is considered long range for the .223 on small varmints?

Buddy of mine and I are researching the long-range potential of all the new VLD-style polymer-tipped bullets (Sierra and Horn.) out of our AR's using the old DPMS VLD magazines (like your 75 A-Max) on coyotes (terminal ballistics being the big unknown at long range). So far I've used the 69 Sierra TMK with fantastic results, and has since replaced my old std. 65 Sierra GK load with flying colors. Longest coyote shot so far was 525, bang-flop. His was with the 77 TMK at 565, almost a bang-flop. Watched him nail 3 cottontails off a ravine edge between 700-730 yds. in 6 or 7 shots. The last was with a 75 A-Max and it was quite dramatic (fun to spot for). Dying to get the 80 ELD-M to work--"research" begins this fur season.

It's a midrange caliber 400-600 easily obtainable for silhouette target at those distances. Varmint size critters would be fun at those distances. Long range, meh, depends on you, your gun, your loading ability, the weather and when the bullet goes transonic.

I've only loaded some test rounds with the Nosler 80 gr HPBT CC bullets. 100 yard tests have been very good. (ragged hole) Have not had a chance to try them on critters and nothing long range yet. I can hit a milk jug at 840 yard with the 75 gr A-Max so I'm very hopeful for the 80 gr Noslers.

I've tweaked my lowly Savage Model 10 .223 until it is a tack driver. It regularly killed rock chucks this spring easily out to 500 yards with 75 gr A-Max handloads. So, what is considered long range for the .223 on small varmints?

I used the same bullet as you and have taken a p-dog and cotton tail at 605 yards and 653 yards , lasered .. Savage BT 110 competition target rifle. Took about 3 rounds to do it on each critter .. And now days with all the improved bullet and powder technologies I think it might do 800 yards and even a BIG maybe , 1000 yards

Last edited:
I used the same bullet as you and have taken a p-dog and cotton tail at 605 yards and 653 yards , lasered .. Savage BT 110 competition target rifle. Took about 3 rounds to do it on each critter .. And now days with all the improved bullet and powder technologies I think it might do 800 yards and even a BIG maybe , 1000 yards
Nice. So far my max effective range is about 800 yards. I've hit milk jugs and selected rocks at 840 and 809 yards. Still looking for long range varmints.
The 75 gr A-Max are getting hard to find so now I'm experimenting with Nosler 80gr CC HPBT. Very promising results so far.

Nice. So far my max effective range is about 800 yards. I've hit milk jugs and selected rocks at 840 and 809 yards. Still looking for long range varmints.
The 75 gr A-Max are getting hard to find so now I'm experimenting with Nosler 80gr CC HPBT. Very promising results so far.

There is also a fairly new RDF 70 gr nosler match that might do well...
INSTEAD OF A MILK JUG,,,, try a bowling ball pin more to the true size of Large prairie dog ! I would really like to see results then , or even better i used to have some life size targets of a medium/average sized P-dog for practice, i need to look around and see if i still have some ....

I could email you a copy if your interested ?

Last edited:
I'
There is also a fairly new RDF 70 gr nosler match that might do well...
INSTEAD OF A MILK JUG,,,, try a bowling ball pin more to the true size of Large prairie dog ! I would really like to see results then , or even better i used to have some life size targets of a medium/average sized P-dog for practice, i need to look around and see if i still have some ....

I could email you a copy if your interested ?

I've tried the 70gr RDF but have not gotten the results I want with them. My Barrel seems to prefer the heavier bullets.
Go ahead and email the P-dog target. [email protected]
Thanks!

I'm with Zen. It's more of a mid-range cartridge for deer-sized game. I've taken a muley buck at 420-ish with a 62gr Core-Lokt. One shot and he was down. I'm sure anything below that in size would be easily dispatched.

Bullet selection has a lot to do with cartridge performance, and I think a few guys here have already covered that.

Would I use it again for deer? Yes, but I usually carry a tag for elk, deer, bear, and cats at the same time. That causes me to hedge for certain types of performance. If I don't kill a deer in October, then I'll likely take the AR or my trusty old Ruger .308 in November to pop one.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.