What Muzzle Brake to Put on 300WM Sendero?

Well I have made up my mind and I want to put a muzzle brake on my 300 Winchester Mag Sendero. What is the best brake to put on? I know it is going to be louder but I always wear ear plugs, even when hunting. I am a smaller guy and the less recoil I have to deal with the better, especially when shooting 200 or 210 grain bullets. Will a brake hurt my accuracy off the bench? Thanks.

Last edited:
Vias

Vias is the least loud of muzzle brakes. I have another brand on my 270WSM and that thing is loud. Had a Vias on a 300RUM and it made a tremendous difference in felt recoil.

Backcountrypro,

I have used both Vais and Holland brakes. I like the Vias brakes best. They seem to dramatically decrease the recoil better than the others I have used.

If the majority of your shooting will be done off the ground, I would go with a Holland, Defensive Edge or Kirby Allen disigned brake. These types of brakes will help keep the muzzle blast away from you and the rifle.

If your going to be shooting off a bench, I would go with a Vias brake. I shoot off the ground a bunch too, I just put a shooting matt under the barrel to help out with the muzzle blast.

The Vais gets my vote.

W.

brakes

I inquired about having a Vais installed on my 300 WM yesterday at our local gunsmith. To make a long story short, he said you can't have it both ways. If you lessen the noise you sacrifice the recoil. He tried to sell me a different product.

The only way to reduce recoil and noise is with a silencer. a brake works by redirecting the muzzle blast out to the side of the weapon rather than the front , if you make a brake that still allows the gas to vent out the front in an attempt to reduce noise your going loose effeciency.

The most effective brake are the baffle style that actualy redirect gas to the rear like on some of the big 50 BMG brakes but this again makle them very loud.

any effective brake is going to make the gun seem louder to the shooter and to those to the sides of the gun no if ands or buts about it so if you want a brake plan on wearing hearing protection and since you need it anyway you might as well get the best brake available. The baffle style brakes like the Holland , Defensive edge , the omne that Kirby makes and the V-port brake from straight shot gunsmithing are all very effective. i personaly use the V-port because i think it looks col and it is very effective.

ops Inc.

I use the OPS inc. brake on my 300 win mag.
I have tried three different brakes and this one was designed for the special forces and seems to not be real noisy.
I tried the vais on my 22-250 and you needed ear plugs and muffs to be able to shoot it.
I next tried one of the quite brakes but it didn't help the recoil.
The OPS I can shoot on my 300 without trouble and it really reduced the recoil. It was abusive and the brake made it very shootable. It shoots under 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards so I don't think it affects accuracy.
I have a friend that has a Holland brake and he is not real happy. He said he didn't think it helped the recoil much.
Good luck with you choice there are a lot of them out there and some work better than others.

I just put a Defensive Edge break on my 300 RUM and it took it down to 30.06ish recoil. The rifle only weighs 10.5 pounds now so I bet in a 300 win sendero you would be feeling 308ish recoil. For about $80 Carlock could hook you up.

I am having Nate put the extreme V port on my 300 wsm build, his videos on his website are quite informative..I also like Jareds break over at Patriot Arms incorporated, they are very similar to Nates..I feel they are necessary for impact viewing.

Just to get in at the last minute. I have a Bob Hart Brake on my 300 WSM and it has helped alot. The Hart design is different from others in that it directs the blast 90* from the bore and not back at the shooter or whatever. I like the Bob Hart stuff anyway.

Mike Alford

Went with Holland

Just a update....I found a local gunsmith that was able to get me a Holland brake. For a stainless brake it was $106+$100 for installation. I probably could have found someone to do this for cheaper but it is really nice to drop the gun off in person verses having to ship the gun out. Also my gun is stainless steel but it had been painted with a black teflon coating, the coating was chipping so my gunsmith is going to beadblast everything to remove the coating. I think it will look good when I get it back. I will try to post pics when I get it done.

Well the mark up on the cost of the brake isin't that bad , bout $20 but the install is kinda high , but if he's blasting it for free then I guess its reasonable. Just a heads up , trouble I have found with the SS Holland brake is that its made from a differant alloy of SS (actualy 17-4) so even after its blasted your gonna be able to tell that its two seperate parts , if you don't mind then no sweat

I thought it was a little high too, but when you live in the middle of North Dakota you kinda have to take what you get. By the way he is charging me $45 to bead blast everything.

I thought it was a little high too, but when you live in the middle of North Dakota you kinda have to take what you get. By the way he is charging me $45 to bead blast everything.

Backcountrypro,
Whereabouts in the middle of North Dakota are you located?

I'm about right in the middle of North Dakota myself, 45 miles NW of Bismarck.
just curious which of the smiths is working on it as I know several of them personally. If it's Steve in Mandan your in good hands......

308nate

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.