What method do use in Handload development

Which method do you work up a to load with?

• OCW-Optimal Charge Weight

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Best group of Three

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Best group of Four

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Ladder Method

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • Best Speed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I use the ladder method shooting 5 round groups at each charge weight. Once I'm within the velocity range I want, I look for the groups that are the tightest. Then I'll rework some more loads around those charge weights, and do them again, sort of as a check. I use grain weights of 0.3 increments initially, then 0.1 for the final testing. After that I'll play with seating depth and neck tension a bit.

Geb

Ladder method over a chronograph to determine nodes (based on velocity more than impact on target). I typically use a seating depth of .015" and use .3gr powder graduations.

Then I'll shoot some groups over the chrony to check the consistency.

I'll fine tune with seating adjustments, but .015"-.025" is usually pretty close to optimum in my rifles and the components I use.

AJ

I use the Ladder method to find nodes especially the highest velocity node.

I then switch to the OCW method to find the widest node to help with temperature changes. Also I now shoot all loads out of an ice bath regardless of the time of year, except for colder days during hunting season.

Gday to all

I ve heard a bit about this ladder method of handloading but cant seem to find a site to explain how to use this method. I ve also seen linked sites people have posted but cant get into them. Can anyone please tell me where i can find info on how to use this method.

Thanks
sniperboy

I started out doing the OCW, recently tried the ladder a few times and I'm torn between the 2. Maybe it's because the rifles have a LOT of freebore that I'm not 100% satisfied that either method is that much better than the other.

Gday to all

I ve heard a bit about this ladder method of handloading but cant seem to find a site to explain how to use this method. I ve also seen linked sites people have posted but cant get into them. Can anyone please tell me where i can find info on how to use this method.

Thanks
sniperboy

Go here and read on.......Ladder Test for Load Development -

OK here's a couple.

First just to confuse things is the OCW method.

Note that the OCW and ladder test folks argue quite a bit. Kind of like Ford and Chevy folks:D
Dan Newberry's OCW Load Development System

This took a bit of hunting but I tracked'r down.....

Load Development

I use a bastardized combination of the two, using the Ladder to get close then the OCW to get spot on. It works for me.........

Good luck.

I just tried the ladder test for the first time yesterday... I used a two shot group at 200. It seems that it would be better to get out to 3 or 400 yards for a good ladder test, so I'm going to start using a combination of OCW and Ladder. I used to always pick a powder and bullet, then start doing 5 shot groups till I started seeing what I liked or had a sticky bolt... lots of wasted ammo :) - well, I guess I still had fun shooting paper lol!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.