what lengh bipod/ no bipod?

florida boy

I use a 13" - 23" bipod for antelope hunting in Wyoming, going to Colorado this year for elk. I was thinking of putting a shorter bipod on my rifle or maybe not use a bipod at all, just pack. what do most of you use for hunting elk?

I use the tallest Harris (27"?). I have run into far more shots which required it than ones that didn't. The one elk I've shot with a rifle I was on a trail on the side of a steep hill; one leg was collapsed all the way and the other 3/4 the way out in order to level the rifle.

Think of the terrain and the way you hunt. If you are highly likely to shoot down, a short one may work. If up or over grass on flat ground, the taller is better.

I use a tripod, too many bushes and small trees where I hunt. With the tripod I can see over the brush and the contour of the land and don't need to find something to lean against.

thanks for replies. I didn't think about the brushy terrain, this is my first trip to Colorado so not sure what it's going to look like. I'll have a tripod with me also so that may help also if I need to get a little higher.

My son and I use both. Shooting sticks that double as walking stick. And carry a standard atlas bipod that can be attached in a few seconds if the situation allows.

I use a SnipePod, but I also tend to be seated well before shooting times and waiting for the elk to move to cover, so this works well.

It doesn't necessarily deploy quickly and easily, but if you have some time to set up, it works well. Super-light, and it let's you get over grass and low brush.

I like to keep a quick detach bypod on the rifle and a set of quad sticks in the pack invade I need them. It depends on how wet the weather has been whether the grass will be too tall to use he bipod. I usually have a trip on with spotting scope on it for glassing. I have removed the spotter and shot off the tripod, but it wasn't my first choice, but it got the job done.

This is probably LR sacrilege, but I'm going to start going without it. I may stuff it in the pack just in case, though.

I started out w/ a snipe pod. Then that broke or I lost an attachment piece or something. It was many moons ago. It worked well, when I used it. I really didn't like having it fixed to the gun. Made things awkward. And when it broke or fell off or whatever I was without a bipod for the rest of the hunt.

Then I got some shooting sticks. Steady Stix II, overpriced and since discontinued. Worked very well and were more versatile. I keep them in a handy pocket or set them up if I'm on an ambush. For sitting position they rocked. I also VERY much prefer the shock cord style over the camera tripod style. Set up is way faster. Screw the height adjustment features. You either spread the legs wider or move the rifle fore or aft of where the sticks plant into the ground for height adjustment. The Steady Stix were nice for having a little bungee wrap around them when folded up. Seriously light weight, work great.

For prone... I usually have a crazy creek chair with me. Flip it upside down and you have a rest as good as or better than any sandbag I've ever used.

Standing... If you have time to deploy a shooting stick while standing, you have time to kneel down. Don't stand & shoot unless you *really* have to.

I started out w/ a snipe pod. Then that broke or I lost an attachment piece or something. It was many moons ago. It worked well, when I used it. I really didn't like having it fixed to the gun. Made things awkward. And when it broke or fell off or whatever I was without a bipod for the rest of the hunt.

Then I got some shooting sticks. Steady Stix II, overpriced and since discontinued. Worked very well and were more versatile. I keep them in a handy pocket or set them up if I'm on an ambush. For sitting position they rocked. I also VERY much prefer the shock cord style over the camera tripod style. Set up is way faster. Screw the height adjustment features. You either spread the legs wider or move the rifle fore or aft of where the sticks plant into the ground for height adjustment. The Steady Stix were nice for having a little bungee wrap around them when folded up. Seriously light weight, work great.

For prone... I usually have a crazy creek chair with me. Flip it upside down and you have a rest as good as or better than any sandbag I've ever used.

Standing... If you have time to deploy a shooting stick while standing, you have time to kneel down. Don't stand & shoot unless you *really* have to.

So far the Harris swivel 9-13" has always worked for me. Also carry quick deploy sticks in case the bipod is too short. But if at all possible I will go to the bipod for stability.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.